Members
Latest Member
Ethan7400

Brandin Lilly fit expo accident

uphillclimb

uphillclimb

VIP Member
Dec 9, 2011
Damn, I've been following him for a while on FB.

Hope he's able to walk normal again let alone train.

ChrisLindsay9

ChrisLindsay9

MuscleHead
Jun 17, 2013
To be successful at weight training, you need to be both physically and mentally strong. Here's to hoping his mental strength and resolve can help him through his healing and rehab.

hawkeye

hawkeye

VIP Member
Sep 19, 2011
The update this morning was torn meniscus, ACL as well tears
in both patellar and quad tendons. It's going to be a long recovery.

Turbolag

Turbolag

TID's Official Donut Tester
Oct 14, 2012
The update this morning was torn meniscus, ACL as well tears
in both patellar and quad tendons. It's going to be a long recovery.

How long do you think? 1 year?

Could this have been prevented if he had been wearing competition tight knee wraps?

uphillclimb

uphillclimb

VIP Member
Dec 9, 2011
How long do you think? 1 year?

Could this have been prevented if he had been wearing competition tight knee wraps?

It couldve just been time Turbo.

Like Anderson Silva in the UFC fight, he couldve already had some issues well before this squat. But many people in our sports ignore the signs our bodies tell us.....B-Lilly is a big figure in the sport and I hope that he makes it back to train again but in all honesty; I first hope that he will walk normal again first.

Turbolag

Turbolag

TID's Official Donut Tester
Oct 14, 2012
B-Lilly is a big figure in the sport and I hope that he makes it back to train again but in all honesty; I first hope that he will walk normal again first.

I was thinking the same thing. Sounds like he will be in a wheel chair or on crutches for a while.

I hope he makes a 100% recovery.

hawkeye

hawkeye

VIP Member
Sep 19, 2011
I would imagine he will have a long recovery. Probably a year or more...but athletes are resilient.

uphillclimb

uphillclimb

VIP Member
Dec 9, 2011
His message on FB earlier today:

From Brandon Lilly First I want to than Steve Denison for the invitation to compete in such a great event. Second congrats to Daniel Green for yet another World Record. On my squat as I descended my left knee popped wildly, and gave out, causing similar strain to the right leg. Thank everyone of the crew onstage, and EMT's on the scene. As of right now without surgery I'd never walk again as I sheared my ACL, meniscus, patella, tore both quad tendons, and MCL in both knees and the knee cap in my left knee will be replaced. I go in for surgery in 10-15 minutes, I just wanted to thank every single person for the comments, status updates, texts, and emails. This is just a bump in the road. I have one of the best knee surgeons in the US. Say a prayer or keep me in your thoughts... I appreciate you all very much, and I'll see you on the flip side.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
I didn't watch the video b/c I don't like to watch injuries. I hope he stays strong and makes a comeback. It will be a long road but if he doesn't lose faith he will come back.

uphillclimb

uphillclimb

VIP Member
Dec 9, 2011
I didn't watch the video b/c I don't like to watch injuries. I hope he stays strong and makes a comeback. It will be a long road but if he doesn't lose faith he will come back.

He went back like Mark Bell did when he dropped 1080 during "powerlifting, the mentality" video but didn't walk it off.....not the best angle but it's bad.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
I wouldn't think so in this day and age, but it depends a lot on what they find. I fractured my patella and honestly and it hasn't given me much trouble. My concern would be how bad the other damage is to his ligaments and potential tearing of muscle. If it's not too bad, they will fuse the patella and/or reshape it. The ligaments could be the deal breaker. Chad Wesley Smith said that they were doing more testing.

Why did it happen? I'm going to pass on some observations that potentially could have lead to this. This was also conveyed by a friend of mine who competed at the Expo as well. Feds judge differently. Some are strict as hell and depth, pauses and other things are judged to "T". In this case, apparently, a lot of lifters were being called on depth. I imagine maybe Brandon was really trying to hit depth. Then again it could be coincidence. Shit hap pens. I just know that they were judging really strict and Brandon has mostly competed in feds that are usually a bit more forgiving in their judging.

As for my friend he was red lighted 2 out of 3 of his squats and he swears that they would have passed in the two recent feds that he competes in (SPF and UPA). As for Brandon, here is to hoping to his recovery and making a comeback from probably a pretty significant injury that will take some time to come back from. Injuries (as I well know) are part of the game. It takes a mentally strong person to get back under big weight again. Let's hope he can.

When I tore my adductor in October it was partly because they were red lighting the hell out of everyone on depth. And the way I squat I can just barely break parallel and that's it. So I dropped down and then pushed myself a little further at the bottom. If you don't clearly break parallel on your first attempt the judges will watch depth much more closely and red light you if there is any doubt. I tried to prevent that and tore myself up in the process.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic