ilovebenching
What's New?

Bought this today for my bulging disc in lower back

S

searay

VIP Member
Dec 20, 2017
Crazy non conventional you say?

SweetBabyJesusAndOldPopePaul ... I get menstrual cramps and projectile vomiting from just thinking about doing Zercher anything with more than the pair of pink db's I use for all my conventional Lifts.

Bonus Style Points to him for using Eleiko plates :D.
What an idiot! Must be great going into the gym he's working out at only to find there isn't so much as 1 available 45lb plate. He probably is so delusional he thinks he's famous and every one should be standing around him watching his amazing performance so they won't need any of the 45's he thinks he owns. I hear he has named his type of training and calls it 'Empty Skull Training'!

beefnewton

beefnewton

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2022
Honestly I didn't even really understand what he was doing. The Zercher's I've done actually have you squatting it, not bouncing it. Or is Zercher simply the term for holding it like that and can be combined with other motions like Zercher Squat, Zercher Max Plate Ego Bounce... I guess it gets the core well enough like that? Fuck if I know.

beefnewton

beefnewton

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2022
Dude is fucking shredded, though.

Bigtex

Bigtex

VIP Member
Aug 14, 2012
Not as good as I thought. It definitely helps my back but causes a huge spike in blood pressure. So I don't use it as much as I like.
Massive G....when you lift heavy weights, your body undergoes several physiological changes to meet the increased demand for oxygen and energy. One of these changes involves your blood vessels constricting, which is known as vasoconstriction. This occurs to redirect more blood flow to your muscles that are working hard during the lift. Additionally, lifting heavy weights increases your heart rate as your heart pumps harder to deliver oxygen-rich blood to your muscles. This combination of increased heart rate and vasoconstriction can lead to a temporary spike in blood pressure. Furthermore, the Valsalva maneuver, a technique commonly used during heavy lifting, can also contribute to a temporary increase in blood pressure. This maneuver involves holding your breath while exerting force, which can cause a sudden increase in intra-abdominal pressure, leading to a transient spike in blood pressure. Just laying on the machine increase the intra-adnominal pressure which will increase the systolic blood pressure.

This increased workload on the heart can lead to adaptations in the structure of the heart muscle, including hypertrophy of the left ventricle. It does not mean you have CHD it it is just an adaptation to stress and goes away if you quit lifting weights. As a graduate student I had my blood pressure measured while doing heavy squats and it was 225/85 for a class project. For a couch potato, an increase of this type in blood pressure increase would cause a heart attack. Fortunately the heart adapts with athletes.

Don't worry about the rise in blood pressure. Keep doing this exercise if it is helping your back pain.

D

dan gable

VIP Member
Dec 27, 2017
We have one of those at my Golds but I have never used it. Got it about a year ago. Will have to give it a try! Its a great gym! The owner has been lifting seriously since he was like 12 years old or something like that...has the poloroids to prove it. Instead of just buying the standars pieces of equipment, the owner goes to tons of expos and conventions and if there is a good piece of equipment, he buys it. He spends a crazy amount of money on equipment, not because he has to, he does it because he eats sleeps and breaths the gym/working out! He is a great guy too! We have been good friends for over 20 years. He taught me sooo much and started me at the front counter and I eventually became a personal trainer ( paid for NASM for me and would pay for me to go to different classes to learn new techniques). I have a really really bad shoulder so he bought me not one, but TWO different pieces of equipment for chest that I can use without it killing my shoulder! He is a class act! He is goinf to my kids God father. He is the kind of owner who is there all day every day. A member that he doesnt even know could show him a new piece of equipment and he will go out and buy it if its a usefull piece! Love my gym! He has a couple IFBB pros who train there on the regular and is friends with Lee Priest. Whenever he is in town he will train there. Lee is a nice guy...funny as hell too

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic