Latest Member
lk has no balls
What's New?

Boosting SHBG

Meathead.

Meathead.

VIP Member
Apr 1, 2011
I've been running a test blend at 1200mg/ week and HGH 2iu a day and arimidex 0.5mg every other day

my libido is low for the last 2 months .. SBGH is low (just got tested)

Total test 1600
free test 575
shbg is 11! :( should be 17-65

Dropped test to 500mg/week long ester and stopped the arimidex the other day.. Wondering if I should add proviron ? Or wait and see if the changes will allow this to increase
thoughts on this ?

macgyver

macgyver

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 24, 2011
I've been running a test blend at 1200mg/ week and HGH 2iu a day and arimidex 0.5mg every other day

my libido is low for the last 2 months .. SBGH is low (just got tested)

Total test 1600
free test 575
shbg is 11! :( should be 17-65

Dropped test to 500mg/week long ester and stopped the arimidex the other day.. Wondering if I should add proviron ? Or wait and see if the changes will allow this to increase
thoughts on this ?

Low SHBG is what you want. The lower SHBG is, the higher free test is. SHBG binds test. Libido is a complex thing, what makes you feel SHBG is as causal factor? Estrogen, progesterone.... could contribute as well along with even thyroid.

Meathead.

Meathead.

VIP Member
Apr 1, 2011
I've done some reading about SHBG being related to libido in this sense so wanted to try that direction .. Thyroid is fine
Thanks for the post though

D

Docd187123

MuscleHead
Dec 2, 2013
Proviron will only lower SHBG further and only for a few weeks before it's effects wash out. Where's the E2 reading?

macgyver

macgyver

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 24, 2011
AAS can suppress SHBG. I think provion is one of them.

A copy paste of causal factors of low SHBG.

1. Obesity and Being Overweight. Low SHBG is associated with obesity. [1] The reason is probably due to a loss of insulin sensitivity as we'll discuss below.
2. Lower Insulin Levels. There is evidence that increasing insulin lowers SHBG. [2] Studies have found this both in vitor and in vivo as well, i.e. on human subjects and male ones at that. [3] Therefore, SHBG is often a flag or warning signal of insulin and blood sugar issues. In other words, SHBG does not cause insulin resistance but does indicate it.
NOTE: You may also want to read my link on The Causes of High SHBG.
3. Cardiovascular Disease, Diabetes, Metabolic Syndrome and Decreased Longevity. Due to #1 and #2, mumerous studies have shown that low SHBG can actually indicate decreased longevity. For example, one study found:
"Low SHBG and IGFBP-1 were both associated with an increased prevalence of abnormal glucose tolerance and the metabolic syndrome, but only SHBG was associated with diabetes mellitus. SHBG was less influenced by body mass index than IGFBP-1. Low SHBG indicated increased cardiovascular and coronary disease mortality; the association remained after adjustment for abnormal glucose tolerance, but not after adjustment for prevalent cardiovascular disease." [1]
This is about as ugly as it gets. Low SHBG is correlated with three of the biggest killers of men: heart disease, diabetes and Metabolic Syndrome. A more recent and larger scale study verified the above results but did find that all mortality risk was due to its association with diabetes, lowered HDL and weight gain. So SHBG does not seem causative, but rather often a sign that something else is wrong. By the way, it was "ischemic heart disease" risk that was associated with lowered SHBG in this case, which basically means accelerated arteriosclerosis and decreased blood supply to the heart.
4. Apnea. I document in my link on Apnea and Testosterone how apnea can affect your baseline testosterone levels by 30 percent or more. Other studies have shown that apnea significantly lowers SHBG as well. [7] So if you have low testosterone and low SHBG, this is something to consider.
5. Obesity. Because weight gain can lead to loss of insulin sensitivity, low SHBG values are correlated to extra weight.
6. Inflammation. One study (in women) found that lowered SHBG was associated with elevated CRP (C-Reactive Protein), one of the "gold standard" markers of systemic inflammation that is linked to heart disease, dementia and autoimmune disorders. [8]
7. Hypothyroidism. One study found that low SHBG was associated with hypothyroidism and could even be reversed by correcting the underlying thyroid issue. [9]
8. Elevated Triglycerides. Several studies have found that elevated triglycerides, which are a risk factor for both heart disease and erectile dysfunction, are also tied in with low SHBG. [10] Of course, this should be no shock since elevated triglycerides usually come from eating meals with an overly high glycemic load and refined carbohydrates.
NOTE: HRT will lower SHBG some and steroid usage even moreso.

Meathead.

Meathead.

VIP Member
Apr 1, 2011
I imagine libido issues can be from many things .. So I had assumed out of these labs that may be the cause
maybe SHBG isn't to blame ?
Sidnt see e2 on there but if that was the case .. Now what ?

D

Docd187123

MuscleHead
Dec 2, 2013
I imagine libido issues can be from many things .. So I had assumed out of these labs that may be the cause
maybe SHBG isn't to blame ?
Sidnt see e2 on there but if that was the case .. Now what ?

Lowered SHBG is a side of increased test levels. Proviron will only lower it some more temporarily. Usually high SHBG and thus low free test would be one cause of low libido not Low SHBG/high free test although idk if it's impossible. It would be more likely that it's the result of low/high E2. Can you get more blood work done and check E2 with a LC/MS sensitivity? I'd give it a few weeks for the cycle banged you made to take full effect before doing more blood work though.

Meathead.

Meathead.

VIP Member
Apr 1, 2011
Right .. Doing more in 30 days
I'll add e2 but if in fact that's the case .. How does one fix e2 issues as i know that does affect libido
craziest thing when I started test libido was insane for a few weeks then gone

D

Docd187123

MuscleHead
Dec 2, 2013
Right .. Doing more in 30 days
I'll add e2 but if in fact that's the case .. How does one fix e2 issues as i know that does affect libido
craziest thing when I started test libido was insane for a few weeks then gone

If E2 is low decrease the adex dose or frequency. If E2 if high than increase adex dose or frequency.

tommyguns2

tommyguns2

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Dec 25, 2010
If E2 is low decrease the adex dose or frequency. If E2 if high than increase adex dose or frequency.

I agree with this. 0.5mg adex normally would be fine with 1200mg/wk test, but your test levels are only 1600 with a pretty high test dose, so I don't think you need that dose EOD. Perhaps drop it completely and run only as needed.

Have you considered adding in HCG at about 500IU/wk? (just one shot)

D

Docd187123

MuscleHead
Dec 2, 2013
What was the methodology of the testosterone panel if you don't mind posting? Does it say LC/MS or rosche Eclia?

edit* and how big was your last dose of test before the bloods were done and how long after that dose did you do the bloods?

Last edited:
mands

mands

VIP Member
Jul 24, 2012
What was the methodology of the testosterone panel if you don't mind posting? Does it say LC/MS or rosche Eclia?
Methodology shouldn't really matter. The reference range is what is important.

Doc are you asking trying to figure out the reference range?

mands

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic