Latest Member
RalfKelleh
What's New?

Bodybuilding Icon Joe Weider Not As Rich As You'd Think

mugzy

mugzy

TID Board Of Directors
Aug 11, 2010
I read this earlier, thought I would share it here.

Who could possibly be upset at amassing a $35 million fortune in their lifetime? Bodybuilding icon Joe Weider ... 'cause he should be worth WAYYYYY more than that.

TMZ has obtained Weider's will -- filed with the court after he passed away in March at the age of 93. According to the docs, Weider's estate was worth $35 mil.

So, why is the $35 million smackeroos a bit of a disappointment?? Allow us to explain:

First, Weider was the undisputed KING of bodybuilding for more than 50 years and slapped his name on everything from dumbbells to workout gloves. Cha-ching.

Next ... Weider not only co-founded the Mr. Olympia contest, he launched multiple uber-successful fitness magazines including Muscle & Fitness, Shape and Men's Fitness. Cha-Ching.

But the biggest reason we're shocked at the number -- Joe founded Weider Nutrition in 1936 (which many consider the first sports nutrition company) ... which later became Schiff Nutrition International ... which was bought out by a German food company in 2012 for $1.4 BILLION!

CHA-CHIIIIIINNNNNGGGGG!!!!

Problem is ... judging from his will, it appears Joe may have gotten rid of his ownership in the company before it blew up ... and in his final days, he was forced to live on his meager $35 million.
Code:
http://www.tmz.com/2013/09/10/joe-weider-will-estate/

Cosmokramer

Cosmokramer

MuscleHead
May 6, 2013
I read that this morning and was shocked.

C

Cheops

VIP Member
Oct 15, 2010
This made me shed a tear for the Master Blaster.

Warrior45

Warrior45

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 9, 2012
Sounds like smart estate planning to save his family millions in taxes.

1bigun11

1bigun11

MuscleHead
Oct 23, 2010
Sounds like smart estate planning to save his family millions in taxes.

Exactly. A will only covers what he still owned in his own name at the moment of his death. He could have transferred billions outside his will by using trusts and various other strategies--and I am sure he did.

JR Ewing

JR Ewing

MuscleHead
Nov 9, 2012
There is a good chance he would have been able to gift away much of his true wealth before death via things like trusts, insurance policies, etc. I'd be very shocked if he and Ben had actually been billionaires just from the whole bodybuilding thing, but it's certainly possible that they may have diversified some of their $ over the years into other very good investments.

I do remember Weider selling out to another company many years ago. I'm guessing that his company was still private when he sold it back then, but I may be wrong.

Many private companies eventually go public in order to raise capital and grow. When a company goes public, its value usually increases greatly over time. But it usually comes to be majority-owned by various other shareholders in most cases.

woodswise

woodswise

TID Board Of Directors
Apr 29, 2012
If his estate plan was to pass his money to his heirs free from estate tax, the taxable estate would have ended up much smaller than $35Million. I bet this is his true net worth at the end of life.

And shame on anyone who criticizes him for not doing better. His $35 Million estate means he was far more successful than 98% of everyone else in the world, a great man and truly a huge success, right up to the end of his very long life.

jhotsauce7

jhotsauce7

TID Board Of Directors
Jan 18, 2011
Still a ship load of money ...

JR Ewing

JR Ewing

MuscleHead
Nov 9, 2012
If his estate plan was to pass his money to his heirs free from estate tax, the taxable estate would have ended up much smaller than $35Million. I bet this is his true net worth at the end of life.

And shame on anyone who criticizes him for not doing better. His $35 Million estate means he was far more successful than 98% of everyone else in the world, a great man and truly a huge success, right up to the end of his very long life.

One favorite trick of wealthy people here in the US is to buy up large amounts of certain types of life insurance - living policies that pass on to heirs tax free and don't go through probate. It's often called "The Rich Man's Roth IRA".

Annuities also have the advantage of not going through probate ($ is passed on directly to "beneficiaries", unless the estate IS the beneficiary), as do traditional life insurance policies and IRAs. Of course IRA and 401k contributions are limited.

So the actual "estate" may not be anywhere near an accurate account of a person's wealth.

And 2010 was one year there was no estate tax here in the US. The richest man in Houston, Dan Duncan (founder of Enterprise Energy Co) was worth 9 billion when he died in '10. His 3 kids each inherited one third of his estate TAX FREE. Of course most of his wealth was in company stock, and I'd read that he'd already prepared his estate for his death (not knowing for sure that he'd die during a time with no estate tax). He'd apparently gifted away much of his wealth to his kids before 2010.

St.Tyger

St.Tyger

Jul 31, 2013

Maybe he didnt have enough time to finish his plans? Or a very remote chance he wanted to help support the Canadian tax system by paying more, as liberals often do.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic