Latest Member
pbtom
What's New?

Bodybuilding.com lays off about 90 in Boise

mugzy

mugzy

TID Board Of Directors
Aug 11, 2010
BOISE -- Boise-based company Bodybuilding.com laid off about 15 percent of their employees Thursday morning.

Employees have been trickling out of the building since about about 9:45 a.m., some carrying boxes.

Director of Offline Marketing Keith Sivera - who was not among those who lost their jobs - confirmed that about 90 people were laid off Thursday. It's unclear whether the company is planning additional layoffs.

Bodybuilding.com released an official statement Thursday morning.

"Today Bodybuilding.com announced an organizational downsizing," the statement read. "The change is part of an ongoing planned restructure designed to strengthen Bodybuiling.com's core business and reach a wider set of customers."

According to the Department of Labor, Bodybuilding.com employs about 500 people in Boise. The company launched in 1999.

Mike Caughey, who worked in legal compliance, told KTVB he received a pink slip Thursday morning after nearly a decade with Bodybuilding.com. The layoffs were announced during a morning meeting, he said, and employees were instructed to wait for emails that would tell each of them whether or not they still had a job.

Caughey said it was an emotional morning inside the Bodybuilding.com headquarters, but he doesn't blame his former employer.

"Some people were crying, and some people that didn't get laid off were crying because they will miss other people, but I'm not angry at all," he said. "It's just one of those things that happens in the business world."

Caughey said there had been concerns about possible layoffs after current CEO Richard Jalichandra stepped in last year, because "his background was turning around companies." Founder and former CEO Ryan DeLuca resigned in 2015.

The people who were laid off were given time to collect their belongings and leave the office. Despite the unexpected news, Caughey said he had enjoyed working for Bodybuilding.com.

"It was beyond great, I never dread Mondays," he said. "I love coming in every week, I loved seeing my coworkers. Everybody was smiling and felt lucky to work there. I mean, it's been the end of a really great time in my life."

Source: http://www.ktvb.com/news/local/bodybuildingcom-lays-off-about-90-in-boise/361027780

rAJJIN

rAJJIN

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 30, 2011
That's crazy. I wonder what the plan or reasoning is behind that? (In more detail)

Looks like the new owner is cleaning house before 2017 starts up. Merry Christmas mutha fuggas
Bummer deal

Reactions: SQM
R

rawdeal

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 29, 2013
didn't they used to sell borderline legal stuff in their "Store," then the FDA clamped down on them a coupla yrs ago? Maybe income went down ever since, they rode it out for a while, decided to clean house now?

S

SQM

Nov 28, 2016
At one point they had M-Drol before it went off shelves. Gotta say that stuff did work. Back pumps from were ungodly. But did work nonetheless. Hell, for yrs I ordered from BB.com, sum bishes still owe me a few free gifts if I remember right lol! I do feel bad for the folks who lost their JOB though. Anytime I had a issue it was handled in a top shelf manor every time to. Super friendly staff always. Good luck to them all!

NDLessPSYcle

NDLessPSYcle

MuscleHead
Apr 1, 2011
It so sad how many companies decide to pull this shit at the end of their fiscal year before the holidays!! Ho Ho Ho

Rider

Rider

TID Board Of Directors
Aug 27, 2010
It so sad how many companies decide to pull this shit at the end of their fiscal year before the holidays!! Ho Ho Ho

Agreed! Horrible timing, they must think oh wow, we don't have to pay them for the holidays now. Corporate greed!!

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Truly shitty timing but that's corp. America.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
didn't they used to sell borderline legal stuff in their "Store," then the FDA clamped down on them a coupla yrs ago? Maybe income went down ever since, they rode it out for a while, decided to clean house now?

If I recall weren't there criminal charges against the CEO for some of those sales?

P

prime

TID Board Of Directors
Dec 31, 2011
Let's hope they received a decent severance package to keep them on their feet until they find a new job.

JackD

JackD

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Sep 16, 2010
Let's hope they received a decent severance package to keep them on their feet until they find a new job.

They used him and BB.com as a example to the rest of the vendors and manufacturers. BB.com agreed to terms wth the FDA, paid fines. Maybe part of that deal is that he had to step down.

Or, if the company was owned by investors, then recently sold, usually the new investors bring in there own CEO. Still shitty either way.

If BB was smart, thy would have joined forces with Amazon a while ago....

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic