Kiddorism
What's New?

Bodybuilders in Movies/Televsion; then vs now

FLEXjs

FLEXjs

MuscleHead
Apr 23, 2012
I'm 48.

I remember TV shows like the Incredible Hulk with Lou Ferrigno, the A Team with Mr T, and movies with Arnie, Stallone, Lundgren, Weathers, Ventura, Van Damme, and countless other big dudes that crossed over into acting.

When was the last time we've seen anyone that looks like they actually lift in a movie?

The only recent instances I can recall of anyone making a movie and their physique being praised is Brad Pitt as Tyler Durden in Fight Club and he was a skinny **** and Gerard Butler in 300 and he didn't look that great IMHO.

All the superheroes in today's movies wear suits. Batman, Spiderman, Superman, blah. None of them have any muscle.

What's going on? Why the big change?

gunslinger

gunslinger

VIP Member
Sep 19, 2010
It's a phenomenon known as the pussification of america. It's the same reason "men" are wearing makeup and skinny jeans and "words hurt".

Littleguy

Littleguy

TID Board Of Directors
Sep 30, 2011
^^^^ exactly that is wjy everytime we go out in public people stare and make comments, we are a rare and dying breed.

The World is becoming a pacifist sissy society

R

rawdeal

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 29, 2013
Huh?

Not denying the pussification thing, and not comparing one bb/actor with another over the years,

but has no one here seen Dwayne Johnson or John Cena after they moved from the wrasslin' to movies?

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Cena hasn't been in 1 really decent movie yet.. something big time.

I'd say the Rock has been in blockbusters so you're right but the amount of actors that are musclebound have been decreasing over the decades. Most of us, at least those of us who are old enough, remember how many actors with bbers physiques. The saying... thin is in... nowadays.

There has been talk also about how this generation of kids are nothing more then pussies. They even have their own type... "emo". There are no more winners and loser. Everyone is a winner which is bullshit. No one wants to work hard which is evident by kids running more and more gear and training.

R

rawdeal

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 29, 2013
Can't argue . . . . too much. First Cena movie I stumbled on was a little sleeper called Legendary, and at the risk of seeming totally fukking gay, it was charming. High school wrestling, where it is still a real sport and not tv entertainment, Cena and his father before him were local legends, one state title after another, undefeated, all by pin, etc, etc. Father dies young, Cena goes off on the wrong path, Mom is left to raise the younger brother, who is emo-ish as described above. But there's something in the kid, craves a male role model, searches out Cena, gets into wrestling himself, etc, etc. No academy award candidates here, but a nice little movie most never heard of. Don't recall any topless scenes for Cena, it's the legend aura that is cool, plus a few quick barroom fights while he is off on that wrong path.

He IS in a bigger profile movie from last year, Trainwreck with Amy Schummer, whose appeal is totally lost on me but not on Hollywood. Has a small part as one of her boyfriends but a much bigger part in the scene with the towel, at least Hollywood seems to find him useful. Maybe his career will plateau, maybe explode, we'll see.

Yomo

Yomo

MuscleHead
Dec 18, 2015
All the superheroes in today's movies wear suits. Batman, Spiderman, Superman, blah. None of them have any muscle.

What's going on? Why the big change?

ehhh...not to sound like too much of a geek, but most of the comic to big screen superheroes you mentioned weren't typically bodybuilder types even in comic form...but yea...most are shredded rather than massive...Cavill had decent mass as Superman, Jackman was pretty shredded as his latest Wolverine role...Terry Crews may not hold down significant movie roles, but he stays pretty damn big...Chris Evans gained decent size for his Cap role, as did Hemsworth for Thor (but he loses it once production is over)...

but for whatever reason, the Badass Action Hero genre of the 80s/90s has all but disappeared...and honestly, although I can still watch most of the major hits starring most of the names you listed, in reality, their movies really weren't that good....you're either into that style of movie or you're not....

I thoroughly enjoy movies like The Expendables, but they seem to only hit it off with guys who exclusively enjoyed 80s/90s Action Hero flicks...

...'Merica

FLEXjs

FLEXjs

MuscleHead
Apr 23, 2012
OK John Cena I can honestly say I never heard of him until now. But seems like unless you're into WWE you wouldn't. He's had a few film roles but not a household name like Arnie.

The Rock; well you got me there, sorta. So there's ONE.

Would be very interesting to see if they ever did a Conan The Barbarian remake what the actor would look like, because Arnie crushed that role and there's no one his size in Hollywood these days could even dream of pulling it off. IMHO.

gunslinger

gunslinger

VIP Member
Sep 19, 2010
But even with the rock when he first started getting into movies they made him lose like 50 pounds of muscle. Told him it was "A better look for the movies"

Yomo

Yomo

MuscleHead
Dec 18, 2015
Would be very interesting to see if they ever did a Conan The Barbarian remake what the actor would look like, because Arnie crushed that role and there's no one his size in Hollywood these days could even dream of pulling it off. IMHO.

Already did a few years back...

4931402-3768869808-conan_.jpeg

MR. BMJ

MR. BMJ

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Sep 21, 2011
Phil Heath was just on Restaurant Impossible with Robert Irvine....yea, yea, it's a 'show' and not a real movie or TV series.

MorganKane

MorganKane

VIP Member
Nov 12, 2012
I rather have a somewhat decent actor with some muscle then a body builder trying to act.

Just not that much into a horrible actor thats a bodybuilder.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic