What's New?

Body weight and composition

• Thread starter The other Snake
  • Start Date
The other Snake

The other Snake

VIP Member
Aug 19, 2016
I wouldn't say my diet has been spot on the last 4 months and haven't touched a weight for the first 8 weeks after surgery. Even now I just got 135 in my hands for benching. Still, my body weight is within a few lbs of the summer beach look but damn it looks way different, and not for the better.

Sure, during the summer there's a cycle mixed in there but it's only a small improvement over my baseline and yes, cardio and diet are a big part. What get's me is how 220 lbs can look so different on the same person.

No doubt, I've traded some muscle for fat but on the scale that's a wash.. I always felt people in general put way too much emphasis on the scale. Who care if you're 200 lbs or 250 lbs if it looks like shit?

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
It can just help with leverages when lifting big numbers but to be honest I'd adopted a similar thought in that who cares if you lift a house but look like a tub a shit. You should look good and lift big.

ITAWOLF

ITAWOLF

VIP Member
Dec 9, 2010
HEY ole scale matters to me -- over 220 and my damn body hurts like a mofo ---but a ripped 190-200 is just right
side not seems the girls in my life like the 190 look better
with a good suit you can see some shape but not right away -- take jacket off and guns a def showing through

but i will agree and dude at 180-200 range and below 8% looks like a monster more than a dude at 220 and 16-20%

SAD

SAD

TID Board Of Directors
Feb 3, 2011
I’ve been on both sides of this.

Grew up shredded to the bone, but 180 on a wide 6’3” frame looked emaciated. It helped when people thought I was weak, but it sucked to always always be the skinny tall guy.

Played some college sports and then enlisted in the Army and got fucking huge. 320lbs huge. Yeah, I could squat and pull 700, and I wasn’t sloppy (a few on here saw me that size and can agree, keep in mind I was still able to run my PT Test 2 miles in 15:56),but it was exhausting and unhealthy as hell. The eating was expensive and full time, and there were 100 things a day that made me wonder why I did it.

After repeated injuries, a divorce, and a health scare unrelated to the weight, I dropped all the way down to 210. Stress, injuries, pain, and mouth cancer (my fault) made the cut unintentional and unhealthy. So at 210, I looked pretty bad too, in my opinion. It wasn’t shredded. It was thin. I don’t do thin.

So now I’m back to 240ish and have been for a couple years. I feel great here, and I perform great at this weight too. My face looks much healthier than it did at either 320 or 210, and the women I have pointedly asked this question to and showed pictures of, agree completely.

To each his own, but I like looking at least a little like a tub of shit. Haha.

Last edited:
macgyver

macgyver

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 24, 2011
I will say this without wanting to insult anyone. 90% of people have ZERO idea how much of what they think it mass is actually bodyfat. Actual bodybuilders know this all quite well. But even the long time 'vets' who brag about being 230 @5'9" with 19" arms...etc (just picking an example of a guy but they run all range types). These guys dont realize that they would be LUCKY to be above 200lbs if they actually got in decent shape.

I get it, being big and strong is pretty damn easy. (relatively speaking). At least it is/was for me. It just took going to the gym 3-4 times a week working hard and making the effort to eat.

In contrast, about 4-5 years ago, I decided I wanted to finally look like the amount of effort that I put in the gym. I can tell you it took many times the effort. Not just 3-4 days a week in the gym, but rather an entire lifestyle change. For me, it was worth it.

But I have chosen to stay relatively in good shape year round. I am 5-9ish, and can easily carry 240 without looking the least bit sloppy and no belt overhang and lean enough that I can almost say I have abs. But for me 'good shape' is aprox 205 ish.

Lower ab vascularity is a good indicator for me. The true realization where I know I am lean is the Great Saphenous Vein. When you have a rope the diameter of a pinky running the front inner calf that wraps your knee and up your inner thigh into your crotch the size of you pinky, you know you are getting lean.

I am not comfortable at 230. I actually look what I would call 'big' in clothes at that weight. At 205, I can blend in pretty well. But there is no doubt I look WAY bigger (and better) at 205 without a bunch of clothes coving me up.

At 230, I would get asked at times 'do you lift?'. Or sometimes it might be 'did you play ball?' At 205 no one ever asks me 'do you lift'. They all assume that I do, and their first question is more like 'where do you workout?' or 'how many days a week do you train'.

I respect anyone's goals and dont think any one is better than another. I have run into over the years, a lot of guys who are really attached to their fat though, and they say things like 'a 200 lb guy is small as crap....I weigh 250 on a light day'. Or a guy that is 250 says 'If I competed, I'd probably step on stage about 225'. I just shake my heads at those dudes.

Approaching 50, I really do enjoy look (and feeling) great. I would encourage anyone to consider getting in shape vs just being a big block, if you have never done it. I never realized just how much I would like it better. But I respect a dude that just wants to weigh as much as he can also.

ketsugo

ketsugo

MuscleHead
Sep 10, 2011
I will say this without wanting to insult anyone. 90% of people have ZERO idea how much of what they think it mass is actually bodyfat. Actual bodybuilders know this all quite well. But even the long time 'vets' who brag about being 230 @5'9" with 19" arms...etc (just picking an example of a guy but they run all range types). These guys dont realize that they would be LUCKY to be above 200lbs if they actually got in decent shape.

I get it, being big and strong is pretty damn easy. (relatively speaking). At least it is/was for me. It just took going to the gym 3-4 times a week working hard and making the effort to eat.

In contrast, about 4-5 years ago, I decided I wanted to finally look like the amount of effort that I put in the gym. I can tell you it took many times the effort. Not just 3-4 days a week in the gym, but rather an entire lifestyle change. For me, it was worth it.

But I have chosen to stay relatively in good shape year round. I am 5-9ish, and can easily carry 240 without looking the least bit sloppy and no belt overhang and lean enough that I can almost say I have abs. But for me 'good shape' is aprox 205 ish.

Lower ab vascularity is a good indicator for me. The true realization where I know I am lean is the Great Saphenous Vein. When you have a rope the diameter of a pinky running the front inner calf that wraps your knee and up your inner thigh into your crotch the size of you pinky, you know you are getting lean.

I am not comfortable at 230. I actually look what I would call 'big' in clothes at that weight. At 205, I can blend in pretty well. But there is no doubt I look WAY bigger (and better) at 205 without a bunch of clothes coving me up.

At 230, I would get asked at times 'do you lift?'. Or sometimes it might be 'did you play ball?' At 205 no one ever asks me 'do you lift'. They all assume that I do, and their first question is more like 'where do you workout?' or 'how many days a week do you train'.

I respect anyone's goals and dont think any one is better than another. I have run into over the years, a lot of guys who are really attached to their fat though, and they say things like 'a 200 lb guy is small as crap....I weigh 250 on a light day'. Or a guy that is 250 says 'If I competed, I'd probably step on stage about 225'. I just shake my heads at those dudes.

Approaching 50, I really do enjoy look (and feeling) great. I would encourage anyone to consider getting in shape vs just being a big block, if you have never done it. I never realized just how much I would like it better. But I respect a dude that just wants to weigh as much as he can also.

Love it !!

ITAWOLF

ITAWOLF

VIP Member
Dec 9, 2010

Mac you are the poster boy for a lot of guys on here!!! we all have different out looks on ourselves
most people have no clue as into how big people are and always over guess weight wise -- such as chris hemsworth -- people dont get it -- hes 6'3 and right at 201
not 250

lol

The other Snake

The other Snake

VIP Member
Aug 19, 2016
Mac you are the poster boy for a lot of guys on here!!! we all have different out looks on ourselves
most people have no clue as into how big people are and always over guess weight wise -- such as chris hemsworth -- people dont get it -- hes 6'3 and right at 201
not 250

lol
Trimmed down to 220 lbs for Thor.

V

vollinglobin987

Feb 3, 2020
Grew up shredded to the bone, but 180 on a wide 6’3” frame looked emaciated. It helped when people thought I was weak, but it sucked to always always be the skinny tall guy.

The other Snake

The other Snake

VIP Member
Aug 19, 2016

6'-3" and wide frame? Hell that's a start I would love to of had. You can always pack on the muscle to any frame and at the end of a hard fought battle, that makes for a monster.

Let me ask ya, how many times were you asked, "You play basketball?" lol

SAD

SAD

TID Board Of Directors
Feb 3, 2011
I’m confused. @vollinglobin987 snatched my exact quote from earlier in this thread... and now it’s taking on a life of its own?! Haha. Do tell, Goblin!

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic