Kiddorism
What's New?

BoA; What you should know

tommyguns2

tommyguns2

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Dec 25, 2010
This makes my blood boil. Bank of America, completely on their own (perhaps) provides the FBI DC field office data on their customers. Apparently, anyone who made a credit card purchase in DC area in the days prior to the "insurrection" AND had made a firearm purchase at any time in their entire lifetime, was put on a list and given to the FBI.

Of course, BoA doesn't have to provide any of that without being served a warrant, and the FBI could never get a warrant because they've got no probable cause. So I'm sure some phone calls are made, a "request" is made, and BoA voluntarily gives the FBI YOUR personal data.

Then the FBI contacts field offices in your area and asks them to open an investigation on you because you're on the list. They're not supposed to open investigations on anyone without a predicate. The Boston field office tells DC to go screw themselves, and DC threatens to push it upstairs. A whistleblower then provides this to the media.

How many FBI field offices chose to open investigations rather than have the balls that the Boston field office did? We don't know yet, but I suspect we're going to find out.

Mike_RN

Mike_RN

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Aug 13, 2013
Funny that a “liberal bastion” like Boston would fight to protect its citizens from federal oppression. Maybe the world isn’t so black and white.

Lizard King

Lizard King

Administrator
Staff Member
Sep 9, 2010
Probably sticker this under the Patriot Act or some shit to get around warrants

I

Iron1

VIP Member
Jul 7, 2021
The same bank that was caught illegally opening sham accounts without customer consent continues to do shady shit? I'm shocked, SHOCKED I say!

Never been a BoA customer, never will.

Thing is, the devil is in the details. As part of the documentation you sign to open an account, you're automatically opting in to having your information shared. You have to manually opt-out if you do not want your information shared with third parties. Since you are opting in by default when opening an account, more than likely the bank has signed documents from every BoA customer that authorizes the release of their personal data. Not that I'm sticking up for their actions but you don't need a warrant when you have signed documents from account holders allowing the disclosure of information.

"Opt Out
Right and Exceptions
The Right Consumers must be given the right to “opt out” of, or prevent, a financial institution from disclosing nonpublic personal information about them to a nonaffiliated third party unless an exception to that right applies."

Last edited:
tommyguns2

tommyguns2

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Dec 25, 2010
Nevertheless, BoA will not be excited if a bunch of customers choose to take their biz elsewhere in response to this woke nonsense.

I also find it funny that the FBI field office is concerned about firearm purchases when there were no arms at the armed insurrection. LOL A bunch of people came to DC to overthrow the government, allegedly, and forgot to bring their firearms.

DungeonDweller

DungeonDweller

VIP Member
Mar 21, 2017
This also reminds me of the FTC (?) demanding Musk turn over all the names of journalists he shared the "Twitter Files" with. Do they have a warrant?

R

rawdeal

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 29, 2013
The same bank that was caught illegally opening sham accounts without customer consent continues to do shady shit? I'm shocked, SHOCKED I say! . . . .
For all I know BOA and any number of other banks may be doing that too, but the one that got caught and made all the headlines was Wells Fargo.

genetic freak

genetic freak

VIP Member
Dec 28, 2015
The same bank that was caught illegally opening sham accounts without customer consent continues to do shady shit? I'm shocked, SHOCKED I say!

Never been a BoA customer, never will.

Thing is, the devil is in the details. As part of the documentation you sign to open an account, you're automatically opting in to having your information shared. You have to manually opt-out if you do not want your information shared with third parties. Since you are opting in by default when opening an account, more than likely the bank has signed documents from every BoA customer that authorizes the release of their personal data. Not that I'm sticking up for their actions but you don't need a warrant when you have signed documents from account holders allowing the disclosure of information.

"Opt Out
Right and Exceptions
The Right Consumers must be given the right to “opt out” of, or prevent, a financial institution from disclosing nonpublic personal information about them to a nonaffiliated third party unless an exception to that right applies."

Yep.

Even when you Opt Out, most of the time when they send the notices they have updated their terms of service, security, etc..., (the ones most of us ignore) there is another requirement to Opt Out or you automatically Opt In.

I

Iron1

VIP Member
Jul 7, 2021
For all I know BOA and any number of other banks may be doing that too, but the one that got caught and made all the headlines was Wells Fargo.

Yes you are correct, my phrasing could have been better. Wells Fargo is the most public example of that particular fraud and the CFPB is investigating BoA for doing the same. https://www.americanbanker.com/news/cfpb-investigating-bank-of-america-over-phony-accounts

BoA has been caught doing it's own share of illegal activities against consumers including:
727million fine for illegal credit card practices:
10million fine for illegal garnishments:
225million fine over botched disbursement of unemployment benefits:

I could go on but regardless BoA still qualifies as a shady fuck of a banking institution.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic