Latest Member
RalfKelleh
What's New?

Blood viscosity

testboner

testboner

VIP Member
Oct 10, 2010
A very informative and pertinent video for all of us. I realize many here are just interested in muscle size and strength — but for the many forum / lifestyle vets here among us that have matured to greater interest in actual health longevity, this is invaluable info.

testboner

testboner

VIP Member
Oct 10, 2010
I've been donating whenever allowed since reading the book DUMPING IRON. It all makes sense.
Same here Bilty, at least once every 4 months — occasionally every other month.

Rider

Rider

TID Board Of Directors
Aug 27, 2010
Good find TB. It’s been awhile, but I need to certainly start donating more often again. (High iron levels)

A

Alpineslide

Jan 24, 2023
I’m on the therapeutic draw list, which means I can donate blood pretty much whenever I feel like it.
I hadn’t done it for a while and it took 3 pints over the course of 3 weeks to get down to where the average male should be.
I really need to just do it every 6 weeks or so.

Donating blood has other benefits too. It‘s basically the only way to drop your levels of those forever chemicals that build up in your system. Donating plasma works for that too.

jipped genes

jipped genes

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2022
I’m on the therapeutic draw list, which means I can donate blood pretty much whenever I feel like it.
I hadn’t done it for a while and it took 3 pints over the course of 3 weeks to get down to where the average male should be.
I really need to just do it every 6 weeks or so.

Donating blood has other benefits too. It‘s basically the only way to drop your levels of those forever chemicals that build up in your system. Donating plasma works for that too.
FYI, Donating plasma will not lower hematocrit levels, taking out plasma may slightly increase the level for a short time before plasma is replenished due to the fact it is only the liquid part of the blood and not the RBC, which too many are the prob for us.

I reckon giving blood does the same thing about the chemicals?

beefnewton

beefnewton

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2022
I always donate double-reds. They take just the RBC's and return the rest back through same line that took the blood. Actually just did it yesterday.

But I don't see how anyone isn't going anemic dumping a pint so often. I struggle with iron/ferritin levels and blood metrics (MCV, RDW, etc.) even donating like once a quarter. And I take ProFerrin ES three times a day. Donating whole blood or just RBC's hits my ferritin stores hard.

Hematocrit was 51 before donating.

Last edited:
Tuffoldman

Tuffoldman

VIP Member
May 23, 2011
I always donate double-reds. They take just the RBC's and return the rest back through same line that took the blood. Actually just did it yesterday.

But I don't see how anyone isn't going anemic dumping a pint so often. I struggle with iron/ferritin levels and blood metrics (MCV, RDW, etc.) even donating like once a quarter. And I take ProFerrin ES three times a day. Donating whole blood or just RBC's hits my ferritin stores hard.

Hematocrit was 51 before donating.
How long is this process?

beefnewton

beefnewton

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2022
I'm kind of wondering if the reason why it went quicker is I had so many to give. From what I've read, it stops processing after it extract two units of RBC's. This is probably the highest I've let my HCT get. Had some maddening itching going on with feet and hands I was blaming post-DNP... but after donating, the itching is completely gone. Good to know.

Cutt29

Cutt29

VIP Member
Dec 29, 2016
I’ve completely tanked iron and ferritin from over donating. Ie going at the suggested Red Cross intervals for 2 years. Levels so low no doc thought it was due to over donating until every test was run (worked for hospital at the time!).

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic