pbtom
What's New?

Blood thickness

• Thread starter hypertrophyshakra
  • Start Date
H

hypertrophyshakra

Dec 18, 2022
Can anyone help me with some correct information and just how much using PEDs increases the viscosity of the blood. Can anyone give me anything on the subject? Is it something to worry a great deal about?

Mike_RN

Mike_RN

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Aug 13, 2013
Very real issue. Some drugs increase HGB/HCT more than others but even TRT can cause elevations in RBCs and blood viscosity.

Mike_RN

Mike_RN

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Aug 13, 2013
When they are above the high normal limits, blood donations are recommended.

Ogre717

Ogre717

TID Official Lab Rat
Jul 22, 2011
Everyone reacts differently. Some guys never donate blood and their levels stay normal, some of us have to donate as frequently as we are allowed. Only your blood work will tell you where you fall

Ogre717

Ogre717

TID Official Lab Rat
Jul 22, 2011
Personally I donate (double reds) 3 times a year because my hematocrit is naturally high.

Bigtex

Bigtex

VIP Member
Aug 14, 2012
Can anyone help me with some correct information and just how much using PEDs increases the viscosity of the blood. Can anyone give me anything on the subject? Is it something to worry a great deal about?
As everyone mentioned they have a big effect, I guess especially as we get older. I have been using test cyp for TRT and my RBC and HCT went kind of high. Reducing the dose did nothing, my HCT ended up at 57%. I have dumped blood 3 times since the 1st of the year and its not been very effective. I started taking baby aspirin, metformin and eating grapefruit every day and is came down to 51% now and my RBCs have hit the normal range. My doctor cut my blood dumps and told me to keep doing what I am doing. I replaced the test cyp with 15mg of test base/d doing a topical and my serum test levels last week was 779. When i was doing the test cyp I was doing 100mg every 10 days. Then dropped it to 80mg every 10 days and then to 40mg every 5 days. Still it was high.

Rider

Rider

TID Board Of Directors
Aug 27, 2010
Yes, this is my main reason why I supplement with one baby aspirin daily. I also need to donate blood more often. Haven’t done it in awhile.

pix3r

pix3r

Mar 14, 2017
Don’t you need to report that you are on AS when donating?

beefnewton

beefnewton

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2022
If you do that, then you won't be donating. You will be added to a permanent deferral list. I was on doctor-prescribed TRT at the time, and Red Cross permanently blacklisted me from donating when I honestly answered the questionnaire. Had to file an appeal that went all the way up to some national director to get removed. Red Cross looks for reasons to not take your blood, and they usually find it. Then they will spam and call the hell out of you begging for a donation. I don't even try anymore and go through another blood bank, where they happily take my double-red's.

pix3r

pix3r

Mar 14, 2017
If you do that, then you won't be donating. You will be added to a permanent deferral list. I was on doctor-prescribed TRT at the time, and Red Cross permanently blacklisted me from donating when I honestly answered the questionnaire. Had to file an appeal that went all the way up to some national director to get removed. Red Cross looks for reasons to not take your blood, and they usually find it. Then they will spam and call the hell out of you begging for a donation. I don't even try anymore and go through another blood bank, where they happily take my double-red's.
Thats nuts! Dont they look at your hemo levels and be like WTF! Haha

Bigtex

Bigtex

VIP Member
Aug 14, 2012
Get your doctor to call in an order to dump blood. The place I go knows I am on TRT and also knows my HCT can be high. I don't go to Red Cross for anything.

R

rawdeal

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 29, 2013
If someone were to get rejected by Red Cross and still wanted to donate blood ... what's the best way to identify/find (safe, health-wise) blood donation places that are not data-exchanging with the Red Cross?

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic