Threads
Members
Latest Member
pbtom

Bill Crawford Squatted 900 pounds

Georgia

Georgia

Mar 31, 2012
I've never even heard of a powerlifting gym. What separates it from a regular....YMCA gym or something of the like? A normal gym

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
I've never even heard of a powerlifting gym. What separates it from a regular....YMCA gym or something of the like? A normal gym

The equipment, energy, people, etc all differentiate a PLing gym from others franchise gyms. PLing Gyms will have a selection of bars to help you along your journey of setting records like; Mammoth Bar, Texas Power Bar, Oky Deadlift Bar, Cambered Bar, Safety Squat Bar, Buffalo Bar, etc. They'll also have bands and chains you can use for pulls, squat, OHP, etc. Lastly they'll have equipment like Monoflits, deadlift platforms, competition benches, etc for you to train on. The music played in a PLing gym will be loud (whatever it is that is played). It'll be brain rattling loud to help get you in the mood to lift heavy weight. The energy is hard to describe. You want to lift heavier and heavier weight each time you walk through that door. That energy is so intense it could run a small town for a month. The lifters are serious and take their lifting very seriously. They'll help you in your endeavors by giving you advice, spotting you, and help push you during your journey. A PLing gym is a whole different beast altogether and it's best to say just go to one and you'll see firsthand how different it is.

Georgia

Georgia

Mar 31, 2012
That sounds like a dream gym to me!!! A world of a difference to any gym I've EVER stepped foot in. That's the kind of gym I want to be a member of. I'm the only one in the gym who is sweating like a whore in church and not on my cell phone or flexing in the mirror....and nobody ever spots anyone in my gym...god forbid you go THAT heavy...have to ask the staff for help

marx

marx

MuscleHead
Sep 29, 2010
What a ROCKIN' reply... Makes ya want to feel the weight across your shoulders NOW!
The equipment, energy, people, etc all differentiate a PLing gym from others franchise gyms. PLing Gyms will have a selection of bars to help you along your journey of setting records like; Mammoth Bar, Texas Power Bar, Oky Deadlift Bar, Cambered Bar, Safety Squat Bar, Buffalo Bar, etc. They'll also have bands and chains you can use for pulls, squat, OHP, etc. Lastly they'll have equipment like Monoflits, deadlift platforms, competition benches, etc for you to train on. The music played in a PLing gym will be loud (whatever it is that is played). It'll be brain rattling loud to help get you in the mood to lift heavy weight. The energy is hard to describe. You want to lift heavier and heavier weight each time you walk through that door. That energy is so intense it could run a small town for a month. The lifters are serious and take their lifting very seriously. They'll help you in your endeavors by giving you advice, spotting you, and help push you during your journey. A PLing gym is a whole different beast altogether and it's best to say just go to one and you'll see firsthand how different it is.

porky little keg

porky little keg

MuscleHead
May 21, 2011
Good post Brother Iron.... not much to add there!

All I can say is that joining up with a good powerlifting team will make all the difference in the world. In a commercial gym, and I was at a decent commercial gym too, it took me 2 years to go from a 400 to a 500 squat. The bars that commercial gyms use whip like crazy at that weight, but I still hit it.... I started with my team as a 500 squatter in the fall ( 550 in gear).... by the next spring ( 7 months later) I went mid-700's in my first equipped meet. Benched mid-400's. This year I am squatting close to 1100 in the gym, way-upper 900's at my last meet and benching around 800. All I had to do was show up every week, ask questions and LISTEN. A good team will help you structure your training, have better equipment, and will push you harder than you can push yourself. My dues are the same as at the commercial gym, and I drive just over an hour three times every week to train with these guys but it is worth every cent in gas and every minute of lost sleep.

If you don't know where to start, go on powerliftingwatch.com or look in powerlifting USA etc... and find a meet within an hour or two of you and go watch. Ask questions, talk to the lifters afterwards. You'd be surprised how many garages are packed with 6 guys and a monolift every Saturday morning in almost any given area. You might meet some guys close by or at least meet someone who knows someone.

Good luck.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Georgia here's a meet you should check out....

Georgia State Powerlifting Championship
Saturday, May 12, 2012, 10:00 AM
LOCATION: Clarion Hotel Atlanta South, 6288 Old Dixie Hwy, Jonesboro, GA 30236

Steve Goggins will be the one running the meet.

Last edited:
Georgia

Georgia

Mar 31, 2012
Georgia here's a meet you should check out....

Georgia State Powerlifting Championship
Saturday, May 12, 2012, 10:00 AM
LOCATION: Clarion Hotel Atlanta South, 6288 Old Dixie Hwy, Jonesboro, GA 30236

Steve Goggins will be the one running the meet.

Nice! If I'm off work I'll try to get my girlfriend to go with me. Her parents live in Atlanta so this would be great!

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic