bigaldevlin

bigaldevlin

Mar 9, 2015
Got bored so decided to do 3 front delts workouts in one day haha

R

rawdeal

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 29, 2013
Man, I have not seen "Continental Lift" in print since I was reading my father's old York Barbell booklets as a kid. You had some knowledge of the "MacDonald" bar in an earlier vid; is he where you got "Continental" from too?
I was trying to watch and eat supper at the same time, had to stop both when you began dancing, will come back later :p

bigaldevlin

bigaldevlin

Mar 9, 2015
Man, I have not seen "Continental Lift" in print since I was reading my father's old York Barbell booklets as a kid. You had some knowledge of the "MacDonald" bar in an earlier vid; is he where you got "Continental" from too?
I was trying to watch and eat supper at the same time, had to stop both when you began dancing, will come back later :p

Yes continental lift is very old school, I prefer it to clean and press due to the fact it suits bigger guys as you dont need the same level of flexibility to do it, although I do recommend doing both styles. There are some variations of continental lift sometimes used by strongman in the axle lift (sven Karlsson used it all the time) but they have changed it to involve a lot more biceps, which is a major risk for injury imo.

So I researched thebolder styles of lifting and bought the two books that Arthur Saxon wrote in the beginning of the 20th century. In those books you'll find a whole host of forgotten lifts such as continental lift, bent press etc.. a fantastic set of knowledge to learn from

Regards the Macmillan cambered bar, this is something j learnt about from my dad who was an international powerlifter, and in one of the gyms I trained in as a young teenager there was one of these bars present. My father thought me how to use it and it was something I acquired for my own collection only recently. Fantastic way to develop the bench press power off the chest and you can use it in back squat also to make it hit more of the tear drop rather than the sweep of the quad like normal :)

bigaldevlin

bigaldevlin

Mar 9, 2015
deadlift tweeking my style since I got my pb on 230kg, this is last week before I did my 250kg 2 days ago. I was getting used to the new style here and went to 210kg

R

rawdeal

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 29, 2013
Gauging your age and maybe your Dad's age ... did he ever run across the likes of Ron Collins, Eddie Pengelly, or Tony Fitton?

bigaldevlin

bigaldevlin

Mar 9, 2015
I've just trained with him again today actually on squat, if I had read your post earlier I would have asked him, but I know for certain he knew eddie pengelly and Ron Collins. I'm not sure about fitton but I'll have to ask him. I'll be seeing him tomoz so I'll find out :) my dads coach was george popperwell,and he knew a lot of the strongman also as he opened two gyms at one point. Bill kazmaier was one of the guys who trained at his gym (when he lived in england) and he met jon paul also but only once. Regards powerlifters though, he mentions so many names in his stories I cant really remember them all but there is deffo a good chance if you can name them he knew them haha

bigaldevlin

bigaldevlin

Mar 9, 2015
My squat workout from november the 1st

Simple leg workout warming up slowly and ending on a single set of 8 reps on 180kg (396lb) misjudged the depth on a couple of reps so some were just above parallel but still half decent. Just finished squatting today also and I got 220kg real easy with a spot and going super deep so will make sure every rep is good on my next home session :)

R

rawdeal

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 29, 2013
I've just trained with him again today actually on squat, if I had read your post earlier I would have asked him, but I know for certain he knew eddie pengelly and Ron Collins. I'm not sure about fitton but I'll have to ask him. I'll be seeing him tomoz so I'll find out :) my dads coach was george popperwell,and he knew a lot of the strongman also as he opened two gyms at one point. Bill kazmaier was one of the guys who trained at his gym (when he lived in england) and he met jon paul also but only once. Regards powerlifters though, he mentions so many names in his stories I cant really remember them all but there is deffo a good chance if you can name them he knew them haha

Ron Collins was the absolute king @ 181 for a few years back then. Not sure if it was the World Championships one year or not, but it would've been something big for him to appear. A story was passed down to me by my father, who was a fan, not a big name ... it came time for the Deadlift, and Collins decided the knurling on one side of the Bar was too smooth. He asked if the Bar could be turned 180 degrees around so that the hand he deemed weaker could grip the better knurled side of the Bar. His star power did not sway the officials, and his request was denied. When the weight on the Bar got heavy enough for Collins' turn, he came right out, turned himself around facing the back of the stage, and pulled the Bar right up ... effectively showing his arse to all present. My dad was not there, so this is all 2nd hand hearsay stuff ... ask your dad if he has any firsthand knowledge of this moment from when PL was still finding its way ...................

bigaldevlin

bigaldevlin

Mar 9, 2015
Today's BENCH PRESS SESSION with 140kg 3sets 4reps

bigaldevlin

bigaldevlin

Mar 9, 2015
Ron Collins was the absolute king @ 181 for a few years back then. Not sure if it was the World Championships one year or not, but it would've been something big for him to appear. A story was passed down to me by my father, who was a fan, not a big name ... it came time for the Deadlift, and Collins decided the knurling on one side of the Bar was too smooth. He asked if the Bar could be turned 180 degrees around so that the hand he deemed weaker could grip the better knurled side of the Bar. His star power did not sway the officials, and his request was denied. When the weight on the Bar got heavy enough for Collins' turn, he came right out, turned himself around facing the back of the stage, and pulled the Bar right up ... effectively showing his arse to all present. My dad was not there, so this is all 2nd hand hearsay stuff ... ask your dad if he has any firsthand knowledge of this moment from when PL was still finding its way ...................
Awesome story mate, yes I will ask him, we are back in lockdown over here in the uk again atm so Kim not seeing him as much as I'd like, but I deffo will, if he doesn't know about it he will certainly enjoy the story!

R

rawdeal

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 29, 2013
Awesome story mate, yes I will ask him, we are back in lockdown over here in the uk again atm so Kim not seeing him as much as I'd like, but I deffo will, if he doesn't know about it he will certainly enjoy the story!

Send a comb to 10 Downing St for Christmas, for Boris' sake!

bigaldevlin

bigaldevlin

Mar 9, 2015
Send a comb to 10 Downing St for Christmas, for Boris' sake!
Haha and a tub of hair gel lmao so lucky to have equipment at home, so many people haven't been able to train since April. It took me about 5-6weeks to get mine when the lockdown was put in us but better that than 6 months!

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic