Threads
Members
Latest Member
Kiddorism

Best oils for homebrewing?

I

IrishDan

Jun 30, 2023
The only mention I have seen of sterilization of the carrier oil is adding BA and BB to it during the heating process. Then putting everything through a filter.

I have t read any recipes that call for the carrier oils to be boiled or baked or what I would consider a sterilization process.

Genuinely interested in learning here so apologize it's a stupid question

genetic freak

genetic freak

VIP Member
Dec 28, 2015
The only mention I have seen of sterilization of the carrier oil is adding BA and BB to it during the heating process. Then putting everything through a filter.

I have t read any recipes that call for the carrier oils to be boiled or baked or what I would consider a sterilization process.

Genuinely interested in learning here so apologize it's a stupid question
You bake it to start the sterilization process. I haven't brewed anything in over a decade, but if I recall 165-170 degrees was safe for most oils, 30-45 minutes. Then you run it through the whatman filter. I would use a .22 over a .45 for sterilization. Even better, run it through the .45 then the .22. Do it while the oil is still warm or you will be there all day.

jipped genes

jipped genes

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2022
Agree with GF. When heating VENT THE VIAL with a pin.

A .22 is small enough to get most bacteria but is a bitch. Warm oil helps. Honestly I just used .45 with zero probs.

MR. BMJ

MR. BMJ

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Sep 21, 2011
How about Oil de Bacon?

Thrawn

Thrawn

MuscleHead
Jun 12, 2023
Cotton seed and grape seed are common in pharmaceutical. I like MCT oil, it is smooth and has antimicrobial properties.

Jrod

Jrod

Jun 30, 2022
Agree with GF. When heating VENT THE VIAL with a pin.

A .22 is small enough to get most bacteria but is a bitch. Warm oil helps. Honestly I just used .45 with zero probs.
I like the peanut oil in omna. One of my favorite.
When I homebrew I use filtered gso and filter through a .45whatman as well.
If it’s a larger amount, I’ll use a bottle top filter at .22 and then filter through a .45 into sterile presealed vials just to make sure it’s clean through and through.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic