Best Mass-Builder For CHEST?

Which Made the Biggest Difference?

• Flat Presses (barbell / dumbbell)

Votes: 14 50.0%
  • Incline Presses (barbell / dumbbell)

Votes: 10 35.7%
  • Decline Presses (barbell / dumbbell)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cable Exercises (flyes, crossovers, etc.)

• Dips

• Crossbench Dumbbell Pullovers

• Dumbbell Flyes

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • Something not listed here

Votes: 3 10.7%

• Total voters
arnold

arnold

Sep 9, 2010
Which has made the biggest impact on your pec-develpment?

PozzSka

PozzSka

Sep 15, 2010
My vote barely counts. I have not a lot of chest mass. DB's always end up being a lot of shoulder. One of these days I may care to do a cable crossover or DB fly, but never do them, so I don't know.

FranchizeBBer

FranchizeBBer

Sep 10, 2010
Like Arnold said, I built the building blocks of my chest with heavy bar training, incline and flat; then take the other lifts to shape and refine the muscle like an artist with an infinite amount of clay

hugerobb

hugerobb

VIP Strength Advisor
Sep 15, 2010
bench and alot of butterfly work and of course dips

cyto33

cyto33

MuscleHead
Sep 15, 2010
flat press for me followed by incline and then decline.
this is where i push my best but i still want a bigger chest.

H

hugec2

Sep 15, 2010
Heavy dips and Old school neck presses...

Get Some

Get Some

MuscleHead
Sep 9, 2010
I HATE my chest....I have no inner chest definition at all. When I flex my pecs the muscles move to the outside of the chest area leaving a "ditch" or "hole" right in the middle. It's very depressing because I have huge delts, traps and back. I'm not sure that I can work through it.

Rein

Rein

MuscleHead
Sep 10, 2010
I HATE my chest....I have no inner chest definition at all. When I flex my pecs the muscles move to the outside of the chest area leaving a "ditch" or "hole" right in the middle. It's very depressing because I have huge delts, traps and back. I'm not sure that I can work through it.

I have huge delts, traps and back myself and of course, i used to have a lagging chest. I fixed that by starting always with incline benches since it makes up for the biggest part of the chest. Since my tri's get most of the work when i do chest or shoulders, i always pre-exaust the target muscle group.

I start over with incline dumbell flyes and by the 4th set (warm-up not counting) my upper pecs are extremely pumped. Then i move to incline dumbell presses for another good 4 or 5 sets and i usually go very heavy (for me) on these, using as much as 120lbs dumbells for 6-8 reps. I take pretty big breaks usually lasting up to two minutes. After that i do some light weight incline smith machine presses with shorter breaks but higher intensity for another 4-5 sets.

Lastly i finish off my workout with as much weight as i can use at flat bench barbell presses and dips (which by the way is the only exercise that makes my lower pecs work and grow.

I hope this helps bro.

H

hugec2

Sep 15, 2010
With chest for many guys less is more ihave found out... Try 2 sets of 3 different things.. Balls to the walls effort everytime.. Have you ever tried partial reps?? 80% range?

Get Some

Get Some

MuscleHead
Sep 9, 2010
I have huge delts, traps and back myself and of course, i used to have a lagging chest. I fixed that by starting always with incline benches since it makes up for the biggest part of the chest. Since my tri's get most of the work when i do chest or shoulders, i always pre-exaust the target muscle group.

I start over with incline dumbell flyes and by the 4th set (warm-up not counting) my upper pecs are extremely pumped. Then i move to incline dumbell presses for another good 4 or 5 sets and i usually go very heavy (for me) on these, using as much as 120lbs dumbells for 6-8 reps. I take pretty big breaks usually lasting up to two minutes. After that i do some light weight incline smith machine presses with shorter breaks but higher intensity for another 4-5 sets.

Lastly i finish off my workout with as much weight as i can use at flat bench barbell presses and dips (which by the way is the only exercise that makes my lower pecs work and grow.

I hope this helps bro.

Thanks buddy. My upper chest is fine size wise, I just can't get the lower portion to fill out. I'll have to try some bench dips. The only thing so far that has seemed to help is dumbbell pullovers. The only problem is that is seems to work the back a bit too much. But, I could just be dropping the weight down too far. I'll have to play around with it.

D

discerniblevim

Nov 11, 2011
So the original question was "what is the best mass builder for chest".
1) I've found heavy dumbell flys pretty effective for pec development. I may not be as big as some here, but for myself, I do incline flys with dumbells at 60lbs, 80lbs, 100 lbs. My form is like that of the pec deck machine (hugging a barrel). I don't extend my arms way out cause that only puts stress on my elbows and really doesnt put more on the pec. I use the negatives (mind muscle, 1 sec up, 2 sec neg) 10 reps each.
2) I find I only advance as far as my weakest point. For example, my pecs were pretty well developed, but my tricepts and back needed more work when I first started. Consequently, the tries and lats held back my bench press (weight I lifted) with bar and my pecs really didn't see their limit/failure. This situation would be a good time to pre-exhaust my pecs with flys before the bar routine. Some people may have great tries and poor pecs. In this case, pre-exhaust the tricepts before bar routines.
3) Study at UCONN showed incline bar mainly affected the shoulders and really did not pull in much upper pec. I do incline bar, but with overall strength in mind. The heavy dumbell incline flys and presses helped upper pec development the most because of the good range of motion, the squeeze at the top because your hands can come closer together.
4) for overall pec development, I always do incline, flat and decline exercises. I now do one of them in bar/bench and then the other two in dumbell press and/or flys. I say this because at one time I did all three with bar and heavy weight so by the time I got to a fly or dumbell exercise that really hit the pec, my shoulders were acking and it was difficult to hit the pec hard.
5) my routine now hits each body part twice a week. Each major body group gets its 48 hrs rest and each small muscle group (bis, tri, traps,) gets it 72 hours rest. Relevant to your question, now my chest gets hit every 5 days. So I hit chest hard with heavy flat bench bar, then heavy incline flys, then some cross cable pull down flys for the lower pec. The next cycle will be based around incline bar and the next cycle around the decline bar with 2 other similar exercises. It turns out my routine is push, pull, legs, day off.. all over again. You'll also benefit from the hormone production from each large muscle group each day giving a better continuous androgenic effect if you previously trained small muscle groups on their own day. Get ready for an increase in grocery $.
6) I subscribe to the Dorian Yates approach. I'm not interested in volume and I'm not interested in a rapid work out with no rest time between sets. I do a warm up set, moderate set, then the heavy working set to failure and I always have a spotter/partner. I rest in between sets to let the ATP regenerate so I can hammer the muscle again. Doing a next set with out rest time (as much as you need) only works the muscle without fuel.. so when you cant push the weight, it may not be because the muscle is to failure as much as it doesnt have the fuel if you dont rest. I don't make it aerobic. The each of the 3 daily workouts I mention above takes me about 1.5 hours now. Another reason for some rest time between sets is to avoid the kick in of cortisol (fat storage) which happens at about an hour of duration/aerobic/stress exercise

So hopefully this is complementary to what has already been said... good luck

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic