Best Glute Exercises

Discussion in 'Female Training Discussion' started by 88fiona, Jun 9, 2014.

1. 88fiona

88fiona Established Member

Nov 2, 2010
    I know this can be a trouble spot for a lot of women. I used to have a totally flat ass but I attibute what I have to track and then bodybuilding. Specifically hurdles and then squats. Here is what I think are some of the best glute building exercises, interested in what has worked for you.

Free Squats (building block for not only my glutes but also my legs)
    Reverse Lunges (smith machine, barbell, free weight or no weight)
    Walking Lunges (same as above)
    Romanian Deadlifts
    Abductor Machine

Anything to add ladies?

2. Jasthace

Jasthace VIP Member

May 29, 2011
    This is one of the best butt exercises .. butt do it slowly and in a controlled manner , use one bumbell , using the opposing arm to the leg you are using ..
    Don't do it like this guys does ,, develop your own slow controlled method .. try to get to 30 reps !, try just doing one leg for reps then the other ..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15RCPjUBjRY

3. Jenner

Jenner LeanMachine Staff Member

Jan 9, 2012
    heavy step-ups :)

4. f.r.a.n.k.

f.r.a.n.k. New Member

Jun 9, 2014
    My ass always hurts the next day after lunges. Barbell, dumbell, or just bodyweight.
    Recently having to go to the chiropractor so can't but heavy weight on my back. So after my leg routine, I do 5 sets of bodyweight lunges. Killer.

5. tightglutes

tightglutes TID VIP Lady Member

May 1, 2012
    Sumo squats. cable kick backs. Heavy squats.

6. IronSoul

IronSoul TID Board Of Directors

Apr 2, 2013
    I'm no lady, but heavy glute bridges are awesome. Really isolate the glutes a lot more than most movements I've done.

7. Runningtotty

Runningtotty TID Lady Member

Apr 24, 2014
    I've been using the leg extension machine for kick backs, wow that hurts the day after. Lying leg curl but lighter than usual and squeeze at the top, don't use the full range and keep the tension on. Pause squats work for me too, full ass to grass slowly take 3 secs to lower, pause at the bottom for 2 secs then power to the top and hold the squeeze.

8. BrotherIron

BrotherIron TID Board Of Directors

Mar 6, 2011
    Squatting low bar w/ semi wide stance (low bar will bring more butt and hams into the lift)
    sumo pulls
    stadiums (great form of conditioning and lifts the butt at the same time)
    lunges
    glute ham raise (if you don't have the equipment for this then try a Russian Leg Curl)
    glute bridges (can be done on floor or off a bench)

9. C T J

C T J Crossfit VIP

Jan 24, 2013
    Good mornings 5 x 10

10. dragevo

dragevo VIP Member

Jul 9, 2011

^^^This

Compound heavy squats and lunges are great. But don't forget to hit some glute kickback and thrusters with a controlled motion and squeeze up top. You will feel it!

11. kyle grey

kyle grey VIP Member

May 15, 2012
    Try reverse hack squats as another variation .

12. Sunset

Sunset TID Lady Member

Dec 12, 2014
    Barbell Hip Thrusts are my favourite glute exercise. I also think Romanian Deadlifts are great for glutes and hams.