Latest Member
Kiddorism
What's New?

Best back exercises for lower lats.

Kluso

Kluso

VIP Member
Oct 30, 2022
I posted this in @Lizard King thread but didn’t get any responses. What have you guys found to get good lower lat growth?

I had been told to do lat pulldowns with arms out to the side and do one arm pulldowns with arm to the side and almost do a side crunch. Thought I had bad genetics. Thing those are great for upper back and maybe upper part of lats but never got those cobra looking lats. Until recently. I started doing my lat pulldowns with my arms in front of me and really squeezing at the bottom, focusing on driving my elbow down and back slightly at the bottom. The second one which surprised me how well it has helped is the plate loading isolateral hammer strength machine, using the middle nuetral grip. One arm at a time and really focus on driving that elbow back and down a little. Imagine hitting someone behind you with that elbow like they are in your way. Need to get that full range of motion and may have to use lighter weight than normal to do so. I still have a little trouble getting that mind muscle connection on my right side for some reason. I have to go lighter to feel it on my right side. But it’s working. Getting some really good results with these so far.

genetic freak

genetic freak

VIP Member
Dec 28, 2015
Single arm pull downs with my hand facing away from me at the top of the rep, full stretched and rotating it until it is facing me at the bottom of the rep, hand finishing at about collarbone depth. If you don't feel it crushing your lower lats you are doing it wrong.

Kluso

Kluso

VIP Member
Oct 30, 2022
Single arm pull downs with my hand facing away from me at the top of the rep, full stretched and rotating it until it is facing me at the bottom of the rep, hand finishing at about collarbone depth. If you don't feel it crushing your lower lats you are doing it wrong.
Need to try that! Are you keeping your arm in front of you or moving it to the side when pulling down? I imagine keeping it in front of you? Yes?

Kluso

Kluso

VIP Member
Oct 30, 2022
Actually your elbow is probably out at the beginning and in at the bottom. What is the path of your elbow? That may have been what I was doing wrong with those. I would keep my hand facing away from me the whole time. And elbow would stay out to the side instead of staying in front of me.

genetic freak

genetic freak

VIP Member
Dec 28, 2015
Need to try that! Are you keeping your arm in front of you or moving it to the side when pulling down? I imagine keeping it in front of you? Yes?
Yes, in front.

genetic freak

genetic freak

VIP Member
Dec 28, 2015
Actually your elbow is probably out at the beginning and in at the bottom. What is the path of your elbow? That may have been what I was doing wrong with those. I would keep my hand facing away from me the whole time. And elbow would stay out to the side instead of staying in front of me.
That path of the arm should be straight down. There should be no flaring out with the elbow, because you are rotating your grip as you are pulling down.

Make sure you get a full stretch at the top; you should actually feel your lats engage as soon as you start pulling. If you don't let your lats fully stretch, you are going to find your other muscle groups taking over the movement. Also, get a nice squeeze at the bottom.

If you are still struggling to find the mind muscle connection, lighten the weight. This is one where you will find you lose mind muscle connection very quickly with added resistance.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic