Latest Member
Kiddorism
What's New?

Bent over Rows vs Cable Rows vs One Arm DB Rows

ritch

ritch

MuscleHead
Dec 4, 2011
Cables an machines have there place for alot of u guys I'm sure... But just my observation, if you look around a commercial gym the guys using just machines n cables and never any barbell work usually arnt very big.

you're 100% correct here. but the guys who have a tendancy to use machines over free weights are often not as hardcore as the guys who use free weights. Their mind set is weak. I always poo poo'd machines for the longest time. Then met some big ass dudes who use them for most bodyparts and so on. I gave it a try and made me a believer.

I mean why don't really big guys do pull up? Aren't these movments superior? It's very rare you see this... the pulldown just feels more natural and in the end, for most is superior.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Most heavy guys don't do pull ups b/c it's difficult to perform a wide grip pullup when you're heavier. It's A LOT easier to perform a pulldown.

Just like most will do military presses seated. Why no perform them standing? You don't have back support and you can use your legs to drive the weight like so many do when they are seated. Lets face it, machines where you sit are for the most part easier and better suited for lay people. Instead of leg pressing, walk a bar out of the rack and squat it hams to calves. You recruit more muscles in the movement and therefore grow more and also strengthen the body more.

ritch

ritch

MuscleHead
Dec 4, 2011
Most heavy guys don't do pull ups b/c it's difficult to perform a wide grip pullup when you're heavier. It's A LOT easier to perform a pulldown.

Just like most will do military presses seated. Why no perform them standing? You don't have back support and you can use your legs to drive the weight like so many do when they are seated. Lets face it, machines where you sit are for the most part easier and better suited for lay people. Instead of leg pressing, walk a bar out of the rack and squat it hams to calves. You recruit more muscles in the movement and therefore grow more and also strengthen the body more.

recruit more muscle yes, but less of the one's your main focus is on. Not sure how this is better. Is it more hardcore yes, more usefull training, sure. If that's what's important to you. You could take this a step further and then say "well why not do it on a swiss ball" if you like having other muscle groups work in....

Fish77

Fish77

VIP Member
Dec 24, 2010
ritch,

You do cables in place of BB rows?

ritch

ritch

MuscleHead
Dec 4, 2011
ritch,

You do cables in place of BB rows?

lately yes, because I'm doing volume training. I like the fact with cables there are so many attachements to chose from as well, really stimulates the muscles in different ways.

Before that it was always heavy supinated shoulder grip bent over rows, tbar rows then unilateral seated cable neutral grip rows. Honestly, the best mind muscle connection was always been with the cable rows. Now I do 2 cable movements for back thickness and the chest pad rowing device with the 3 different hand positions...

I have another day for width, all the pulling gets mundane after 3 exercises...

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
recruit more muscle yes, but less of the one's your main focus is on. Not sure how this is better. Is it more hardcore yes, more usefull training, sure. If that's what's important to you. You could take this a step further and then say "well why not do it on a swiss ball" if you like having other muscle groups work in....

You answered your own question. It all depends on what your goals are but don't you want to be strong overall and not just pulling/pushing on a machine. Can you pick up a 60lbs object in front of you without breaking out your belt and wrapping up to lift it? Wouldn't you like to take 315lbs off the floor and put it over your head?

Personally, I'm not about looking the part of being strong, I like to actually be strong.

ritch

ritch

MuscleHead
Dec 4, 2011
You answered your own question. It all depends on what your goals are but don't you want to be strong overall and not just pulling/pushing on a machine. Can you pick up a 60lbs object in front of you without breaking out your belt and wrapping up to lift it? Wouldn't you like to take 315lbs off the floor and put it over your head?

Personally, I'm not about looking the part of being strong, I like to actually be strong.

I just think I've gotten to a point where I am strong enough. OK, probably not as strong as you, but I've deadlifted over 500lbs, and recently front squated 335 for 6 full reps. Strong enough, I don't feel the need to get stronger as doing so takes specialized programs and everything else that goes with it...

Was more or less doing this out of boredom from my low volume training and my cns no longer being able to follow through. To my surprise, I seem to have gained mass, so I'm happy with it and can't help but pass it on to see if perhaps someone else could benefit from this as well.

Just another tool in the box!

fixxer

fixxer

MuscleHead
Dec 15, 2010
Not true, you are fooling yourself. Machines are moving on a specific plane, the body may not need to struggle with forces of balance ect. It's been proven over and over free weights , barbells, kettle bells, dumbells and even some cable use assistance muscles can increase range of motion , even then standing is more functional than sitting. Although isolation has its purpose in training and rehab. You may want to do more research and train.

I got your back on this one kets, I agree. When you use a machine you are working out on a fixed plane. End of story. It takes the matter of balancing the weight out of the equation. Hell, I use the smith all the time for my bench press, it helps me focus more on my pecs, but I don't pretend like it's better than an actual bench press. For some people it may be because of physiological limitations and injuries, that's fine. Overall though, I think free weights are where it's at. I could be wrong.

Cables an machines have there place for alot of u guys I'm sure... But just my observation, if you look around a commercial gym the guys using just machines n cables and never any barbell work usually arnt very big.

If you look around a commercial gym most people are below average physique anyways, so..that's a pretty moot point.

Yup, I can't do many pullups for the life of me, I'm getting there though.

I do mil press sitting down. I consider it a quasi-machine. You still are working with the barbell and are not restricted to a certain range of motion. Where you have that back support you wouldn't have standing up, you don't have the ability to use your legs to gain momentum to get the weight up. It's six and 1/2 dozen the other. I think sitting mil press and standing mil press tend to cancel each other out on the pros/cons. Just my opinion.

Back on the subject of back (like that?). I do barbell rows and db rows. Two totally different exercises. With DB rows you can really squeeze the weight and feel the contraction, whereas you don't get that with a barbell row. It's a power movement, you rip that shit off the floor.

Adambiceps

Adambiceps

Nov 3, 2011
For me personally you cant get away from heavy rows, bb,db or tbars, but cable or machine rows are excellent for finishing and pumping up the muscle :D

IronInsanity

IronInsanity

TID Board Of Directors
May 3, 2011
I don't know why it has to be one or the other. I've got room for barbell, dumbbell and cable work in my back routine.

Gstacker

Gstacker

MuscleHead
Aug 19, 2011
I don't know why it has to be one or the other. I've got room for barbell, dumbbell and cable work in my back routine.

I do cable rows also and use some of the back machines but have never substituted barbell work with them.... It's nice having you're torso supported while you pull after ur lower back is hammered doin deadlifts or barbell rows... But as the title of the thread reads "barbell rows vs cable
Rows vs dumbbell rows" hands down barbell IMO

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 1 members watching this topic