Members
Latest Member
pbtom
What's New?

Bent over Rows vs Cable Rows vs One Arm DB Rows

Mike Singletary

Mike Singletary

Sep 8, 2010
I have had a history of back problems and when I even look at someone doing a bent over bb row my back starts to hurt. Are cable rows or one arm dumbbell rows hitting the same muscles? I understand that the bent over BB rows incorporate a lot more core/stability muscles but for someone who is just concentrating on their back do these alternatives offer the same value?

S

soinkid

Mar 14, 2011
i had the same problem after going too heavy on the leg press, everytime i tried bb bent over rows it hurt like hell...i switched it up to dumbell bent over rows, concentrating on slow, controled motions and not soo much heavy weight at first...after a few weeks of that and workin up to heavy weight, i went back to bb rows with lighter weight and worked up again. no problems since...and i loved the benefits to my back from using the dumbells...

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Agreed - dumbells could prob substitute for the bar. I don't think you can ever sub a heavy compound free weight with a cable...

W

Wolf

MuscleHead
Dec 25, 2010
Yes, you can substitute the dumbells for the barbell.

S

soinkid

Mar 14, 2011
i had the same problem after going too heavy on the leg press, everytime i tried bb bent over rows it hurt like hell...i switched it up to dumbell bent over rows, concentrating on slow, controled motions and not soo much heavy weight at first...after a few weeks of that and workin up to heavy weight, i went back to bb rows with lighter weight and worked up again. no problems since...and i loved the benefits to my back from using the dumbells...

also when u do the bent over dumbell rows do 2 arm dumbell rows. keeping your back arched up and looking up. it really hits your core, and does wonders for your back. cant go as heavy as a one arm dumbell row, but keeping your form strict will give you better results if youre looking to bodybuild and not powerlift...

tyciol

tyciol

Apr 8, 2011
I have had a history of back problems and when I even look at someone doing a bent over bb row my back starts to hurt. Are cable rows or one arm dumbbell rows hitting the same muscles? I understand that the bent over BB rows incorporate a lot more core/stability muscles but for someone who is just concentrating on their back do these alternatives offer the same value?

Yeah same muscles basically, it's a good way to avoid the load on the erector spinae that bent-over bilateral rowing involves.

As does the rear fly machine.

Rein

Rein

MuscleHead
Sep 10, 2010
Sadly i can't do bent-over-dumbbell rows because i can't feel my back muscles work. Barbell rows are superior IMO.

Lizard King

Lizard King

Administrator
Staff Member
Sep 9, 2010
I love cable rows, I'm addicted to them, did I say i love them?

peanutbutter27

peanutbutter27

Dec 14, 2011
totally agreed...bent over dumbbell rows with light weight are top....You really feel it in your upper back and even a minor lat contraction. I've tried t-bar rows for a couple of months now and its not nearly as effective as the 2 armed dumbbell rows.With back its real easy to cheat and put all the emphasis on your biceps...

IronInsanity

IronInsanity

TID Board Of Directors
May 3, 2011
totally agreed...bent over dumbbell rows with light weight are top....You really feel it in your upper back and even a minor lat contraction. I've tried t-bar rows for a couple of months now and its not nearly as effective as the 2 armed dumbbell rows.With back its real easy to cheat and put all the emphasis on your biceps...

Why do you want to do them with light weight?

ritch

ritch

MuscleHead
Dec 4, 2011
I'm beginning to think more and more that your body does not know the difference between a machine, a cable or whatever... Been doing cable rowing for back lately and it's made a big difference. Been using incline machines for upper chest as well, way better...

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic