Members
Latest Member
pbtom
What's New?

Bent Over Barbell Row grip styles

arnold

arnold

Sep 9, 2010
Do you think there's any advantage to doing the bent-over barbell rows with a pronated grip versus supinated? I was geting intense pain in my brachialis region a few months ago when I performed BB rows with a pronated style grip, so I switched to an underhand grip and have had no problems since (while obviously being able to put up a lot more weight).

The thing is, I see the vast majority of serious lifters using the overhand style, so I'm wondering if I'm missing out on anything crucial by using this style of grip. I have read that an underhand grip involves more of the biceps and lower lats, which is fine by me since I only do 3 sets of barbell curls per week and I can't do pull-ups right now because of that unbearable pain in my forearms.

So again, if I were to exclusively use the supinated grip, how would my results differ from the guys that always use the pronated grip?

ajdos

Friends Remembered
Sep 8, 2010
The underhand grip acutally gives you a better range of motion for the lats and stimulates a bit better response from the lower lat region-overhand involves a bit more of the upper back, rhomboids, teres, and traps.
I like underhand personally.

T

THE-DET-OAK

Sep 11, 2010
im gonna try underhand this week.

Rein

Rein

MuscleHead
Sep 10, 2010
I have tried all and my favorite is the underhand grip. Not only i can lift more wait, i feel my lower back working more and the range of motion is way greater. It's very important to find an angle that hits the spot you want to hit.

DGAF

DGAF

Sep 5, 2010
Does underhand put any strain on your shoulders? I do overhand right now and my shoulders dont hurt, I want to try underhand but I had surgery last year on my shoulder and I dont want to put too much stress on it.

DGAF

Rein

Rein

MuscleHead
Sep 10, 2010
Does underhand put any strain on your shoulders? I do overhand right now and my shoulders dont hurt, I want to try underhand but I had surgery last year on my shoulder and I dont want to put too much stress on it.

DGAF

Then start off with a light weight and see how that goes. Bent over barbell rows are about proper form and squeezing those muscles at the top of the movement.

PozzSka

PozzSka

Sep 15, 2010
I have done them underhand in the past (pulling to the bellybutton area). Now, however, usually do them overhand, at a bench press grip width. Pulling higher on the stomach/low chest.

W1LL

W1LL

Oct 5, 2010
I do both. usually overhand for 2 or 3 sets then underhand for two more.

Sadie

Sadie

TID Lady Member
Oct 2, 2010
i feel super off balance with the over hand grip so i only do the underhand rows

meetcake

meetcake

Sep 29, 2010
i like to do 3 heavy sets overhanded and then 2 "burnout" sets underhanded!

MAYO

MAYO

Bad Mother
Sep 27, 2010
AJ nailed it.....OH is good for upper lat thickness and upper back development. UH is a more complicated movement IMO, but done correctly should feel like someone set fire to your lower lats. I alternate between the two from workout to workout. To the OP, using exclusively OH grip would provide good lat thickness and upper back development, but the lower lats would suffer. Using exclusively UH grip would prolly yield a little less on upper back. I think most people stick to OH cuz they can move significantly more weight. My 1 1/2c MAYO

G

Greenmonster

Sep 28, 2010
I do 2-3 sets of each. Instead of coming to my lower chest, I go to my waist. I make my back lift all of the weight and take the arms out of the equation. I have been getting killer results with it and it puts less stress on my forearms and shoulders. I have to drop the weight a little on UH, but it hits my lower lats hard.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic