Members
Latest Member
RalfKelleh
What's New?

Bent Over Barbell Row grip styles

Allen

Allen

Oct 7, 2010
Both are fine to use if done properly. As already stated the underhand will stimulate more lat and overhad will involve more rhomboid, teres, traps, as well as lats.

Just be cautious with the underhand grip and don't use soo much weight that proper form suffers or you will be prone to injure the biceps, which I have seen many times in my career. Row the weight don't throw it. Also keep a soft lockout in the elbow in the stretch position to keep the brachialis from engaging and taking over. Your hands are just hooks holding the weight pull with the back not the arms. Make sure to get a stretch on the eccentric part of the lift. A muscle stretched with resistance recieves the most overload.

IronInsanity

IronInsanity

TID Board Of Directors
May 3, 2011
I usually do 4-5 sets of both on back day. I drop about 10% weight for the UH.

jhotsauce7

jhotsauce7

TID Board Of Directors
Jan 18, 2011
Like AJ the late Ajdos said, its all about what part of your back you are focused on hitting... Suppinated will allow you to pull lower towards your waist/belly button area, this targeting the lower mid back muscles - lower lats and incorporates the bicep more - putting more stress on the bicep but the lats in a stronger mechanical position, however the pronated grip allows you to pull to your mid chest, a few inches above your celiac plexis, thus targeting mid-upper back (upper lats)

Due to mainly the amount of stress on the bicep placed by suppinated grip I would say it is best to alternate grips. I usually super set rows alternating for a total of 6 sets

jhotsauce7

jhotsauce7

TID Board Of Directors
Jan 18, 2011
Both are fine to use if done properly. As already stated the underhand will stimulate more lat and overhad will involve more rhomboid, teres, traps, as well as lats.

Just be cautious with the underhand grip and don't use soo much weight that proper form suffers or you will be prone to injure the biceps, which I have seen many times in my career. Row the weight don't throw it. Also keep a soft lockout in the elbow in the stretch position to keep the brachialis from engaging and taking over. Your hands are just hooks holding the weight pull with the back not the arms. Make sure to get a stretch on the eccentric part of the lift. A muscle stretched with resistance recieves the most overload.

Right on - Dorian yates (arguably one of the best backs of all time) preferred the supinated grip and later went on to tear his bi before the 94 Mr. O

ritch

ritch

MuscleHead
Dec 4, 2011
I much prefer underhand, can knock out 12 reps with 315 now! them and tbar rows are my all time favorite back thickness movements. My mind muscle connection is really good, biceps involvement is minimal when I do them.

The rows for the ho's baby!!!

marx

marx

MuscleHead
Sep 29, 2010
I get what you are saying, ritch, I LOVE this movement and feel totally 'in the muscle' - wrist injuries mean underhand grip for me, but I love it... Probably my favorite movement.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Like so many have already said both serve a purpose. It all depends on what part of the back do you want to target, the upper or middle/lower portion.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic