Members
Latest Member
lk has no balls
What's New?

Benching Technique

H

Herestolife

Sep 10, 2012
So I was just wondering what is the proper technique for benching with the bar and your chest. I see a lot of guys at the gym going down all the way to touch their chest and back up . Then I see a lot of guys going down for the most part all of the way but leave about 2-4 inches space in between the bar and their chest. What do you guys find the best way to bench?

R

ReedSkin

Sep 17, 2012
Bench Press Safety. Most injuries in the gym happen when doing The Bench Press. One reason is of course because it's the exercise done the most. Other reasons are not using the following tips.

No Thumbless Grip. Use your thumbs when doing the Bench Press. You don't want the bar to slip out of your hands.
Start Light. Add weight gradually. You'll get a feeling of what you can & can't handle while learning proper Bench Press technique.
Ask Someone to Spot. Spotters will help you if you get stuck with the bar on your chest. If you don't have a spotter, read the guide on how to Bench Press safely when you're alone.

Bench Press Setup. You need a strong base to press the weight from. Tighten your upper-back. Grip the bar hard: try to break it apart like breaking spaghetti.

Grip Width. Too narrow & you'll lose strength. Too wide & the distance the bar travels shortens. Grip width should be about 55-71cm/22-28" depending on your build. Forearms perpendicular to the floor when the bar touches your chest.
Gripping the Bar. Secure the bar with your thumbs by rotating your hands in. Put the bar in the palm of your hand, close to your wrist. If you put the bar close to your fingers, you'll get wrist pain.
Tight Upper-back. Squeeze your shoulder-blades before getting on the bench. Keep your shoulder-blades back & down at all times like on the picture below. This gives your body a solid base to press the bar from.
Chest Up. Don't allow your chest to go flat or shoulders to roll forward. You'll lose upper-back tightness, losing power & increasing risk of shoulder injury. Keep your chest up at all time.
Feet. Use a wide foot stance to increase stability on the bench. Feet flat on the floor, weight on the heels, lower leg perpendicular to the floor. This prevents extreme arching of your lower back.

The Bench Press. Remember to keep the tight position during the Bench Press from start to finish. Squeeze the bar, keep your upper-back tight & your chest up. Unrack the weight with straight arms. Bench.

Bar to Chest. Touch your chest where your forearms are perpendicular to the floor when looking from the side.
Press in a Straight Line. Don't look at the bar. Fix a point at the ceiling. Press the bar in a straight line above your chest, not towards your face. Keep the bar above your elbows during the whole lift.

Common Errors. The following Bench Press errors are either inefficient or potentially dangerous. Avoid them at all costs.

Unracking with Bent Arms. Don't risk the bar falling on your face. Your arms are strongest when your elbows are locked. Unrack & bring the bar above your chest with locked elbows.
Pressing to Your Face. The shortest distance between 2 points is a straight line. Press in a straight line. Fix a point at the ceiling where you want the bar to go. Don't look at the bar.
Bending Your Wrists. This will get you wrist pain. Put the bar in the palm of your hand. Close to your wrists, not close to your fingers. Squeeze the bar so it doesn't move.
Elbows. Too high is bad for your shoulders. Too low is inefficient. Put your elbows between perpendicular to & parallel with your torso.
Shoulders Forward. Don't let your shoulders roll forward. It's bad posture, bad technique & a guaranteed way to get shoulder injuries. Keep your chest up, shoulder-blades back & down and upper-back tight.
Glutes off the Bench. This makes the distance the bar travels shorter & thus the Bench Press easier. However it puts pressure on your back, especially when the weight gets heavy. You're more stable when your glutes are on the bench. Keep them there.
Pushing Your Head into The Bench. You'll injure your neck. Tighten your neck muscles, without pushing your head into the bench.

:D

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
So I was just wondering what is the proper technique for benching with the bar and your chest. I see a lot of guys at the gym going down all the way to touch their chest and back up . Then I see a lot of guys going down for the most part all of the way but leave about 2-4 inches space in between the bar and their chest. What do you guys find the best way to bench?

Touch the chest

C

coltmc45

Sep 14, 2012
I can't touch my chest benching heavy. I have a partial tear in my supraspinatous so anything lower then 2 inches above my chest and I'll be out of the gym for months.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Bar should touch chest, unless you're working with boards. As for technique, that depends on whether you're a BBer or a PLer.

paarke

paarke

Sep 18, 2010
Depends on your goals. For power keep the the elbows in and arch, for pec development vary grip width and your elbows.

woodswise

woodswise

TID Board Of Directors
Apr 29, 2012
So here's the thing. I try and try to do it like they say.

But I have a hard time not pushing my shoulders forward at the top. Anyone else have that problem?

Also, I am not consistent about touching my chest. I almost touch it every time. Sometimes I actually touch it. Does that really matter?

Sometimes I forget and I don't arch my back.

The hardest part of all, is feeling the contraction in my chest muscles. All I can feel are my front delts.

J-dub

J-dub

MuscleHead
Feb 16, 2013
So here's the thing. I try and try to do it like they say.

But I have a hard time not pushing my shoulders forward at the top. Anyone else have that problem?

Also, I am not consistent about touching my chest. I almost touch it every time. Sometimes I actually touch it. Does that really matter?

Sometimes I forget and I don't arch my back.

The hardest part of all, is feeling the contraction in my chest muscles. All I can feel are my front delts.

Your not using your lats and traps enough if your shoulders roll forward. Ill post a video tomorrow that shows some tricks for a proper setup

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic