Threads
Members
Latest Member
pbtom

Bench Once a Week?

F

Frank Jones

Jun 7, 2018
Is it possible to make gain in my bench press by benching once a week? Basically the workout will consist of the Bench and assistance exercises.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
If you're new to bench pressing than yes, you can make progress with training your bench 1x week. Most will tell you though it would benefit you to bench more often then just 1x week. And if you're new the additional day would help refine your technique to make you a more efficient bencher. Don't forget to hammer your lats, shoulders, and triceps to increase your raw bench.

CFM

CFM

National Breast Implant Awareness Month Squeezer
Mar 18, 2012
Age? Do you work a desk job or manual labor? Are you using gear? What are your goals? A lot of factors to consider here.

MAYO

MAYO

Bad Mother
Sep 27, 2010
That's a stat dependent question. I'm not a power lifter, but have built a 500lb bench off of one day a week. If I wanted to be what I deem as competitive, I'd probably need additional days and programming.

F

Frank Jones

Jun 7, 2018
I'm 48, don't really have a desk job, I'm and instructor for a security company (taser, firearms, OC, handcuffing, etc). No gear and my goal is to bust 300lbs, and more of course. My week is typically very busy and during the week I only have time or access to dumbells.

F

Frank Jones

Jun 7, 2018
I'm 48, don't really have a desk job, I'm and instructor for a security company (taser, firearms, OC, handcuffing, etc). No gear and my goal is to bust 300lbs, and more of course. My week is typically very busy and during the week I only have time or access to dumbells.

MAYO

MAYO

Bad Mother
Sep 27, 2010
Once a week is fine for you. At 48 with no exogenous hormone, your recovery will be a little slower than the kids. Put a good, quality session in and then make sure you feed your body.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Absolutely. Just don't go maxing out every session.

F

Frank Jones

Jun 7, 2018
I was thinking the same thing and I do notice the older I get the slower I recover. I rather take the extra time than to "over train".

rAJJIN

rAJJIN

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 30, 2011
Now and again I will start off arm day with Bench press. I count it as a tricep exercise.
But I would say for the better part of my life it was bench press on chest day 1x per week.

I’m no record holder but I can go in on any given day and do 315 for 10 real full reps.

SAD

SAD

TID Board Of Directors
Feb 3, 2011
Absodamnlutely possible for you to hit your goal. During the week hit shoulders and tris with the dumbbells, and find something to hang on and do pull-ups. Hit your bench day on the weekend with a program designed to hit your goal in X time, and then eat fairly clean and amply.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic