Members
Latest Member
Rolanalon

Bench Once a Week?

Rider

Rider

TID Board Of Directors
Aug 27, 2010
Yes, you can do it. Perhaps if possible, focus on training chest twice per week using different exercises. I found my body responds best this way.

For example, reserve Sunday for bench press day. Flat and Incline. Then on Wednesday once you recover, train chest with dumbbell presses and flies.

chicken_hawk

chicken_hawk

MuscleHead
Oct 28, 2010
Agreed, if one can get the volume and intensity correct multiple times a week usually gets you there faster. BUT, it is a serious challenge for guys in our age group to get that right without a few months of tinkering when we could instead dumb it down and make some good progress.

With the others, I would say set up your routine in some sort of month blocks using a variety of exercises leading up to test day. So say a month of close grip and wide grip @8-10 reps then a month of pause and floor press @5 reps then back to regular bench press working up to a test day.

Hawk

R

rawdeal

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 29, 2013
I'm 48, don't really have a desk job, I'm and instructor for a security company (taser, firearms, OC, handcuffing, etc). No gear and my goal is to bust 300lbs, and more of course. My week is typically very busy and during the week I only have time or access to dumbells.

So does that mean you would have access to barbells, etc on weekends, or no? My concern is dbs vs. your stated goal of busting 300, which I assume is a barbell bench? Another thing is, just how high do these accessible (employee gym at work?) dbs go? You don't need two 150lb dbs to expect a 300lb barbell bench, but if those dbs top out @ 75s for instance, it's gonna be rough. Wherever you'll be training. is there a sturdy bench, and humans or a rack to provide a spot?

matthewk04

matthewk04

VIP Member
Jul 21, 2013
That's a stat dependent question. I'm not a power lifter, but have built a 500lb bench off of one day a week. If I wanted to be what I deem as competitive, I'd probably need additional days and programming.

This. I do bench 4-5 times a month and have never done more other than some close grip and have gotten to where my heaviest working sets are never lighter than 315-365 even without gear. I’ll do back multiple times a week but I think more chest would be counter-productive to me.

matthewk04

matthewk04

VIP Member
Jul 21, 2013
That's a stat dependent question. I'm not a power lifter, but have built a 500lb bench off of one day a week. If I wanted to be what I deem as competitive, I'd probably need additional days and programming.

This. I do bench 4-5 times a month and have never done more other than some close grip and have gotten to where my heaviest working sets are never lighter than 315-365 even without gear. I’ll do back multiple times a week but I think more chest would be counter-productive to me.

matthewk04

matthewk04

VIP Member
Jul 21, 2013

F

Frank Jones

Jun 7, 2018
Here is a question for the forum. Do you think you can improve your bench press by utilizing dumbells? I ask because sometimes I only have time to use the gym in my office building and they do not have any barbells. I would like to do some chest/bench work during the week but at the same time I do not want to waste my time on something if it will not benefit my bench work.

L

lamarclark09

Mar 13, 2023
It’s fine to do it once a week if you are new to training. Furthermore, if you are doing multiple exercises then it’s okay to do bench workout once a week, as it reduces risk of injuries, but the best is to do bench press 2-4 times a week in order to increase power, strength, mobility and ultimately health.

gotclen

gotclen

VIP Member
Oct 20, 2011
I think one day a week on anybody part is fine. I body built for 12 years on that schedule. While working a full time job. No longer than an hour per workout.
super sets and triple sets to keep the intensity high. Then mix it up every 4 weeks. Good luck

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic