Kiddorism
What's New?

Belt during training?

BovaJP

BovaJP

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Feb 15, 2013
I have been lifting weights for 20+ years now. Back in the day, i used to wear a belt only during like back or leg days, but now i wear mine for all workouts/lifting sessions. Except for cardio, but then again that is not lifting lol.

Currently I have a RitFit one, i think its 6", foam, etc. I like the fit but its only a cpl months old so its not worn in just yet lol.

Do you wear as well?

Happy Lifting y'all.

Bigtex

Bigtex

VIP Member
Aug 14, 2012
The idea of wearing a belt in training is that the belt greatly helps to increase pressure in your thoracic cavity. This also accomplished when you flex the abs and hold your breath as you start the eccentric movement of the lift, The belt provides a wall for your abs to push against, greatly increasing thoracic pressure which in turn helps to stabilize the spine/core. That being said, the belt is really only functional when you are doing heavier (85% 1RM+) lifts such as squats, deadlifts or even overhead lifts.

There are some schools of thought that believe that using belts with lighters weight may actually cause the core to weaken, thus putting the spine and core at risk of injury and possibly stunting the growth of the transverse abdominus. This could also lead to diastasis-recti, which is a partial or complete separation of the rectus abdominis. Lots of powerlifters have this and it is also common in heavy weight BB's who train very heavy.

Now do I wear one? I have ruptured disks between the L4 and L5, I only wear a belt when I do bent over rows. I no longer am able to do squats or deadlifts or nor do I do anything over 85% 1RM.

Littleguy

Littleguy

TID Board Of Directors
Sep 30, 2011
I never wear one and never have, I feel it promotes weakness in the supported area thus leaving you prone to injury in everyday life.
Just my thoughts...........however if needed for support to work around an injury then I get it until the area is string enough to do the work again.
Cheers

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
I wear one for pulls and squats when the weight is at or above 80% of 1RM. When my OHP's get back to being heavy I'll apply the same rule. I don't wear it for any of my accessory lifts ie. GM, Bent Over Rows, Floor Presses, etc...

FlyingDragon

FlyingDragon

VIP Member
Nov 4, 2010
No belt, no gloves, sometimes I even forget pants.....Might explain why I am banned from so many gyms....

The other Snake

The other Snake

VIP Member
Aug 19, 2016
My belt goes on for the big 3 only, even with 135 and I tighten it up as I go. Probably could go without it for bench but never for Sq & DL.

My belt is the ol' school 4" leather tapered single hole one that everyone started with. Most PLer's use a bigger, more sturdier one but I have put reasonable numbers with this type. The ridged Inzer 10mm levers are just too thick for me and does not conform to my body as well as the thinner one I have.

As for Littleguy's post on getting hurt, I have heard this argument before and though it does have some merit, I will take my chances with the groceries over a triple in the dead lift. I have a feeling even if I suffered a injury with the bag of meat and frozen food, it would be far less then one with a few 100 lbs on a bar.

Seems like most BBer's are okay without a belt where PLer's are not. To each their own but it it comes down to the weight being moved in my opinion.

Gms585

Gms585

VIP Member
Mar 17, 2017
I have a baby blue inzer double prong
I wanna buy a hot pink one too lol

Only wear for squats , deads, some carry events
Only at 85% n over though.
Idk how you could walk with anything over 600 on the yoke without one honestly

S

schultz1

Bangs Raiden's mom VIP
Jan 3, 2011
Havent worn a belt in years. There is a time and place for them depending on your training goals. If not heavy squats or dead I dont see the need.

Tuffoldman

Tuffoldman

VIP Member
May 23, 2011
I Only wear a belt on squats and deadlifts at 85% or more of a maximum lift. I find wearing a belt otherwise hinders my workouts. Wearing a weight belt the way it should should be is extremely tight and I could not imagine wearing that through a whole workout I only put it on on the last set or two which is my Max weight and I take it off between the sets.

On the flip side if a weight belt helps you lift better and stronger then use it. It's personal choice so truly there's no right or wrong but I do believe that wearing anything that supports your core it's going to cause you, in the long term, to be weaker in that area when you really need it outside the gym.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
You should be pushing out against the belt (trying to make yourself fat). If the belt is so tight that you're unable to push against it (get belly air) then you're actually not using it correctly and getting nearly the benefit from it.

The other Snake

The other Snake

VIP Member
Aug 19, 2016
You should be pushing out against the belt (trying to make yourself fat). If the belt is so tight that you're unable to push against it (get belly air) then you're actually not using it correctly and getting nearly the benefit from it.

Well put. The stability comes from the pushing out, not the pushing in. I fill my lungs with air right before that descent and it goes out at the top. If you think this doesn't work, try this; work up to your triple weight, belt up tight and grab all the air you can. At the bottom, let all your air out and see how well you return to the top.

Note: Not responsible for injury

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic