Latest Member
Rolanalon
What's New?

Beginnners Steroids FAQs

guss

guss

MuscleHead
Aug 11, 2010
This article is an FAQ designed to help you by providing information and suggestions that will increase basic Anabolic/Androgenic Steroids (AAS) usage knowledge. You will then have a much better understanding of what is being suggested in topics on the forum and the reasons behind the advice. Please bear in mind that there is very often no right or wrong answers when discussing AAS usage and a variety of possible solutions/cycles/answers may be given. Ultimately, it is your body, and you are responsible for what AAS are used and when they are used so it stands to reason that personal knowledge is imperative.

As I'm sure you can appreciate, there are a range of recurring questions which tend to be asked by every prospective steroid user:

What should I take?
When shall I take it?
What day shall I take it?
What will I gain?
Shall I buy from a website?
Orals or Injectables?
At this point we assume you've taken the decision to use steroids, but have no idea what they are and what they do. Read on…

What are Steroids?
Testosterone is the main male sex hormone which is naturally produced by the human body. Steroids are a synthetic form of testosterone or its derivatives. Bodybuilders mainly use testosterone. Testosterone is what you can thank for Strength and Size.

You can read more in the Muscle Talk article testosterone and steroid chemistry

Am I old enough?
Yes if you're over 21, No if you're under. You run the risks of premature closing of growth plates which means you won't get any taller and your shoulders won't get wider, etc. if you use them too young. Your endocrine system is also at a vital stage in your life, which should incidentally provide you with plenty of natural testosterone anyway!

Of course there are other considerations such as training experience of the individual. For example, it would be unwise for a 25 year old who has been training only a few months to want to use steroids. Their training and diet knowledge are likely to be limited (these should be 100% in check to make 'proper use' of a steroid cycle). Not only that, but there will be massive potential for natural gains, without the need to even think about steroids!

Which steroid should I take?
By spending time browsing through old posts as well as learning from current ones, you will start to become familiar with not only the different steroid names and typical dosages, but also how they are used towards a particular goal. This will provide you with a 'shortlist' of possible steroids that can be further researched to ascertain whether the effects/side effects are acceptable to you. A

I hate needles, can I just take pills?
You've decided to take steroids, now the next thing to decide is whether you should take tablets or inject? What's the difference? Let's look at each in turn: Well the obvious difference is that one is swallowed, the other is injected. But let's be more specific; most oral steroids are hepatotoxic (i.e. toxic to the liver). As the tablet/pill travels through the body it passes through the gastrointestinal tract, then to the liver which has a mission to destroy it, thus preventing the steroid from entering the bloodstream. As a result, scientific boffins replaced the hydrogen atom with a carbon atom to the 17th position of the steroid molecule, which for the most part, will enable the steroid to survive the first pass hepatic metabolism. This process is commonly referred to as 17-alpha alkylation (17-AA or C-17).

Whilst this alkylation is desirable for the athlete in terms of improving the bio-availability of the oral steroid, it does however, place undue stress on the liver. Liver values (a set of markers which are used to assess liver function) may be elevated whilst using 17-aa steroids and as such, they are generally used sparingly to compliment an injectable cycle. Certain nutritional supplement products are often used for liver protection:

Milk Thistle
ALA (Alpha Lipoic Acid)
Liv-52
Injectable Steroids are not for intravenous use (into the vein). Doing this could result in serious injury or even death. They must be injected intra-muscularly (into the muscle) and therefore avoid the 'first pass' through the liver; though some the harsher steroids will place a strain on the kidneys in large doses.

There are two main different types of injectable steroids: Water or oil based. Water based steroids are metabolised quickly, requiring frequent (often daily) injections. Oil based ones are released more slowly into the bloodstream and are generally injected once or twice weekly.

Where do I inject?
You should inject into your gluteus maximus muscle (the muscle under your flabby bum!). A good, sterile technique is well worth emphasising as this can avoid experiences ranging from abcesses to death (yes, it really is that serious!). If the proper procedure is implemented, then the occurrence of abcesses can be substancially reduced and death is avoided completely.

Step by step instructions can be found via the following links:
www.muscletalk.co.uk/article-glute-injection.asp
www.spotinjections.com

Glutes and quads (thigh muscles) are the 'normal' places for injections as they are large muscle groups, though other sites can be used, particularly for heavier cycles where there is a greater volume of oil being used each week.

What's an Ester?
A Steroid Ester refers to the chain of carbons attached to the steroid molecule at the 17th position. The longer the chain, the greater the time taken for the steroid to be released into the bloodstream. Testosterone propionate, for example, is a relatively short chain ester and therefore makes the parent hormone fast acting and requiring more frequent injections. The opposite is the case for longer chain esters e.g. enanthate, cypionate, undecanoate.

When shall I take it?
It makes absolutely no difference what time of day you inject. Whatever suits you.

Injection frequency - Aim for Mon/Thu for longer acting esters (sustanon, enanthate, cypionate, deca). These could be injected just once per week for the needle-shy, though twice is better for even blood concentration levels.

Dianabol are to be taken daily and, as they have a short half life of just a few hours, they are split throughout the day, every 4 hours or so. Take them with meals to avoid possible gastro-intestinal discomfort.

Should I buy steroids from a website?
Never buy from an online website offering steroids. Most will be either scammers or will selling you fakes - or both! Keep yourself safe and from losing your hard earned cash -always have your prospective source checked first. Read the Muscle Talk article Source Checking for more details.

What will I gain?
Almost impossible to answer, as everyone is different, and there are a multitude of variables that will affect the amount of gains witnessed such as:

Type of steroid and amounts used
Length of cycle
Cycle experience - early career cycles tend to yield greater gains purely because there is greater scope for those gains
Training, diet & rest!
What's a Frontload / Kickstart?
A 'frontload' is used to reach peak blood concentration levels much sooner than would otherwise be possible. Double your normal weekly dose will be injected in the first week or two, depending on the drug's particular half-life (the half-life is the time taken for the body to metabolise and excrete half of the drug). So if your cycle was to use 500mg testosterone enanthate weekly, you would frontload 1,000mg during the first week.

An oral 'kickstart' describes the use of a fast acting oral until your injectables reach their peak, i.e. 30mg of Dianabol taken for the first 4 weeks.

What are Anti-Es?
Anti-Es are anti-oestrogens (or as the Americans say 'estrogens'). Certain steroids aromatise to oestrogen through the aromatase enzyme which can lead to undesirable side-effects. Oestrogen, after all is the dominant female hormone. By employing anti-Es you can reduce the chances of experiencing oestrogenic side-effects such as water retention and gyno (explained below). Proviron and Anastrozole (Arimidex and other guises) attempt to halt the aromatisation from occurring. Nolvadex however, will occupy the oestrogen receptor which renders much of the existing circulating oestrogen inert.

The varying anti-E ancillaries are therefore generally used to counter negative side effects of AAS usage. Choice of ancillary depends on many factors including:

AAS used & dosage/length of cycle
Susceptibility of user to sides (if already known)
Degree of risk/sides the user deems acceptable
Any pre-existing conditions
Read more about Anti-Es in the Muscle Talk article about Oestrogen & Progesterone

What's Gyno?
Gynecomastia is the build up of glandular tissue under the breast, and is an oestrogenic side-effect. Puffy, itchy or sore nipples are often early symptoms. This condition is often referred to by the slang term '***** tits'. Established gyno will normally require surgery for correction - needless to say, 'prevention is better than the cure!'

What's PCT?
PCT stands for Post Cycle Therapy, and is what you do when you've finished your cycle to restore natural testosterone production. This is essential if you want to stand a good chance of retaining gains. Nolvadex, Clomid and sometimes HCG are the drugs used for pct. See the Muscle Talk article Clomid and HCG for more information.

Warning! Articles related to the use of illegal performance enhancing drugs are for information purposes only and are the sole expressions of the individual authors opinion. We do not promote the use of these substances and the information contained within this publication is not intended to persuade or encourage the use or possession of illegal substances. These substances should be used only under the advice and supervision of a qualified, licensed physician.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic