Members
Latest Member
jacobss
What's New?

Beginner exercises for chubby old noob

I

InitialsBB

Jan 2, 2024
Looking to get back into shape that isn't so round in the middle. for a recap, 49, 6ft, 218 lbs. for the past few months I have started walking 5 nights a week for 1 hour/3 miles. I plan to keep this up, but also thinking of adding strength training. I am now looking at getting resistance bands so I can workout in my home right after the walk in the evenings. My plans is to walk for the hour (3 miles) then do about 30 min of resistance band training to build some muscle. Not looking to get the body of my youth, but rather still be able to fit into my clothes and also look ok with a shirt off. Does 30 min sound enough? Thinking of doing this 3-5 nights of the week. If so, are there any muscle groups that are more bang for the buck? I.e. biceps instead of triceps, etc? My logic is that if I build some of this muscle then this will also aid in the losing of weight )also not super concerned with the weight "number" but rather if I can button my pants, or if my suit jacket doesn't pull when buttoned. Does this sound like a ok program, should I do the strength first then walk? Does it matter? Humbly looking for any advice that can be shared.

genetic freak

genetic freak

VIP Member
Dec 28, 2015
Bands are not the best option, but you haven't been doing anything, so they are better than nothing. Same thing with 30 minutes. It is 30 minutes more than you were doing before. Muscles that give you the biggest bang for your buck are legs, back, chest, shoulders, triceps and biceps in that order.

I

InitialsBB

Jan 2, 2024
Thanks! So, as to the bands, I was thinking those as I can get them for a low price, they don't take up room and I can basically start right away. (and do this at home) What would you advise in their stead? I have a few dumbbells around, but I was hoping not have to get more, but it way be necessary.

genetic freak

genetic freak

VIP Member
Dec 28, 2015
An adjustable dumbbell set and adjustable bench will go a long way. An adjustable dumbbell set like, Bowflex, Nuobell, CAP, etc.. can be pricey, but they are still cheaper than buying a bunch of dumbbells and they don't take up much room.

a-bomb83

a-bomb83

Jan 9, 2024
If bands are all you have, then start where you are. Start with body weight squats, push ups, crunches and lying leg curls. Go to YouTube and search for band workouts I’m sure you could find tons of exercises there.

once you get bit by the lifting bug, go ahead and join a planet fitness. Then if you start to really improve over the course of a year or so, ditch PF and find a real gym with actual barbells and dumbbells that go past 75lbs.

body weight exercises are better than nothing.

bands are better than having no equipment.

PF is better than bands.

you see my progression, again, start where you are, get adequate protein (1gram per pound of goal body weight) just focus that one macro and watch your body change in a month or two.

Jrod

Jrod

Jun 30, 2022
If bands are all you have, then start where you are. Start with body weight squats, push ups, crunches and lying leg curls. Go to YouTube and search for band workouts I’m sure you could find tons of exercises there.

once you get bit by the lifting bug, go ahead and join a planet fitness. Then if you start to really improve over the course of a year or so, ditch PF and find a real gym with actual barbells and dumbbells that go past 75lbs.

PF is better than bands.

you see my progression, again, start where you are, get adequate protein (1gram per pound of goal body weight) just focus that one macro and watch your body change in a month or two.
Good advice.
Getting started and being active is the the hardest part for many people. Then stay consistent.
Planet fitness is $10 a month and great for beginner to intermediate gym goers. Or find a gym similar if there isn’t a planet fitness near you. Stay connected with other people that workout/excercise regularly and have knowledge about fitness, nutrition, etc.
Ask questions and keep at it.

S

searay

VIP Member
Dec 20, 2017
It is best to work out first then do any aerobics like walking. Reason; You want as much energy as possible when doing any kind of weight training. If you walk first then your carb stores will be empty meaning little energy to work out. If you lift first then you will have max energy and burn off your carb stores and start burning fat immediately when you walk or do any aerobics.

S

schultz1

Bangs Raiden's mom VIP
Jan 3, 2011

PF is better than bands.

Body weight circuits for the win, set a number and increase as your work load capacity increases.

S

stevenoid23

Dec 20, 2023
Your plan to incorporate resistance band training after your walks is excellent for overall fitness. 30 minutes of resistance band exercises 3-5 nights a week is a good start. Focus on compound exercises targeting major muscle groups like squats, lunges, rows, and presses for maximum effectiveness. Whether you do strength training before or after walking doesn't matter much; choose what feels best for you. Consistency and proper form are key for results. Remember to listen to your body and adjust intensity as needed. With dedication, you'll likely see improvements in both muscle tone and body composition over time.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic