Latest Member
RalfKelleh
What's New?

Been almost 3 years with an IF (intermittent fasting) lifestyle

macgyver

macgyver

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 24, 2011
I have posted about this before. But I just had another annual physical and I am reminded of the wonders of I.F.

For those that dont know, I used to be the guy eating 5-6 meals a day. I weighed and tracked macros fanatically for years.

I would eat structured surpluses for 4-5 months and then a 500-750 deficit for 10-12 weeks. Rinse and repeat. Most of my training was done naturally, however after actually needing trt for an unrelated injury, I then added (conservative) aas usage in my mid 40's for the first time.

The first few days were a strange shift for me since I could NEVER go more than a few hours without NEEDING to eat. I would get 'hangry' all the time. What I soon found is it was easier and easier to go without food. What was also cool, is I did not whither away. Controlling composition was as easy as pulling a few light days here and there. Maybe dropping down to a single meal and then substituting some additional protein.

These days, I probably get 160-180g protein/day. I used to eat 230+ EVERY day. In order to hit those levels, I utilize whey since I only eat 2 meals. One, my first around 230, and then dinner.

My shake, is a mixture of leucine, fiber, and whey. I take it every night and will add as much protein as I need to get my intake where it needs to be. The leucine 'up regulates' the protein bolus as well, and besides tasting like sh!t, it is not a bad practice. The fiber...well that goes without saying ;) Eating less, and many times not as 'healthy' means it keeps the works in order.

Now here is the crazy part. I have seen subtle changes in my bloodwork since switching to IF. For reference, I have annual bloodwork going back 15+ years.

1-my blood sugar is much more 'normal'. My fasted blood sugar was always low. (very low). Maybe this is why I need to eat so often or was sensitive to eating. Since switching to IF, my fasted ranges are always mid range. NEVER in 10+ years before was that ever the case.

2-My ldl has come up. My cholesterol was always good, a little on the low side, but so was my LDL. Since switching to IF, my overall profile of my lipids has improved significantly.

So those things sound pretty good. But here is the backdrop you need. This past year in particular, I have eaten the WORST I ever have. I eat fried chicken 2-3 days a week for lunch. I eat a few tubs of ice cream a week. Been dipping into processed foods like chips and snacks which was not something I ever did. My meals are pretty much open season since I eat so much at a sitting.

I work from home so a typical lunch I eat is 10 oz chicken cut into nuggets and fried. I make 2 thin fillets and eat them on sweet rolls and eat the rest as nuggets. (I do this 2-3 times a week). Then I grab some greek yogurt, and add some granola cereal. If I want more carbs, I will eat a pack or ramen noodles. Then I grab a granola bar and go snack at my desk and some chocolate covered raisins.

This has also opened me up do a new way of losing weight. It is similar to a PSMF (protein sparing modified fast) except I only do it a few days a week. Essentially if I want to drop fat, I just pick 2 days out of the week and eat only about 200 g protein. Lowest fat I can get. Since my hunger is so well modulated, this is actually not hard at all to do.

I get the same results from this, approx 1lb of fat loss a week, as I would from a conventional 500 cal deficit diet. And it is MUCH easier, since the other days, I am still eating mexican take-out w/ 6 tacos and chips and cheese dip...etc.

Just throwing it out there for some good thought for anyone considering trying IF. I say give it a shot.

Bigtex

Bigtex

VIP Member
Aug 14, 2012
I have posted about this before. But I just had another annual physical and I am reminded of the wonders of I.F.

For those that dont know, I used to be the guy eating 5-6 meals a day. I weighed and tracked macros fanatically for years.

I would eat structured surpluses for 4-5 months and then a 500-750 deficit for 10-12 weeks. Rinse and repeat. Most of my training was done naturally, however after actually needing trt for an unrelated injury, I then added (conservative) aas usage in my mid 40's for the first time.

The first few days were a strange shift for me since I could NEVER go more than a few hours without NEEDING to eat. I would get 'hangry' all the time. What I soon found is it was easier and easier to go without food. What was also cool, is I did not whither away. Controlling composition was as easy as pulling a few light days here and there. Maybe dropping down to a single meal and then substituting some additional protein.

These days, I probably get 160-180g protein/day. I used to eat 230+ EVERY day. In order to hit those levels, I utilize whey since I only eat 2 meals. One, my first around 230, and then dinner.

My shake, is a mixture of leucine, fiber, and whey. I take it every night and will add as much protein as I need to get my intake where it needs to be. The leucine 'up regulates' the protein bolus as well, and besides tasting like sh!t, it is not a bad practice. The fiber...well that goes without saying ;) Eating less, and many times not as 'healthy' means it keeps the works in order.

Now here is the crazy part. I have seen subtle changes in my bloodwork since switching to IF. For reference, I have annual bloodwork going back 15+ years.

1-my blood sugar is much more 'normal'. My fasted blood sugar was always low. (very low). Maybe this is why I need to eat so often or was sensitive to eating. Since switching to IF, my fasted ranges are always mid range. NEVER in 10+ years before was that ever the case.

2-My ldl has come up. My cholesterol was always good, a little on the low side, but so was my LDL. Since switching to IF, my overall profile of my lipids has improved significantly.

So those things sound pretty good. But here is the backdrop you need. This past year in particular, I have eaten the WORST I ever have. I eat fried chicken 2-3 days a week for lunch. I eat a few tubs of ice cream a week. Been dipping into processed foods like chips and snacks which was not something I ever did. My meals are pretty much open season since I eat so much at a sitting.

I work from home so a typical lunch I eat is 10 oz chicken cut into nuggets and fried. I make 2 thin fillets and eat them on sweet rolls and eat the rest as nuggets. (I do this 2-3 times a week). Then I grab some greek yogurt, and add some granola cereal. If I want more carbs, I will eat a pack or ramen noodles. Then I grab a granola bar and go snack at my desk and some chocolate covered raisins.

This has also opened me up do a new way of losing weight. It is similar to a PSMF (protein sparing modified fast) except I only do it a few days a week. Essentially if I want to drop fat, I just pick 2 days out of the week and eat only about 200 g protein. Lowest fat I can get. Since my hunger is so well modulated, this is actually not hard at all to do.

I get the same results from this, approx 1lb of fat loss a week, as I would from a conventional 500 cal deficit diet. And it is MUCH easier, since the other days, I am still eating mexican take-out w/ 6 tacos and chips and cheese dip...etc.

Just throwing it out there for some good thought for anyone considering trying IF. I say give it a shot.

First off, I will not try this. I can hardly make it from 10pm when I go to bed to 6am when I get up with no food. That being said, my wife has been doing this for maybe 3 years. She had gotten at her age where she had a vary hard time controling her weight. She has managed to get rid of a lot of food alergies she had developed and doesn't seem to be having any difficulty maintaining a lower body weight. My wife has tried every diet in the world including hiring a IFFB coach which was a miserable failure. She combines this fasting thing with a ketogenic diet that she really preferrs and ding very well. She combines cardio 1-2 days a week with light lifting.

BackAtIt

BackAtIt

MuscleHead
Oct 3, 2016
First off, I will not try this. I can hardly make it from 10pm when I go to bed to 6am when I get up with no food. .

Ditto!!!!....Don't see how u guys can do this?....

Do have a question tho?....How could a pro-bb'er do this diet?....If they are consuming 10,000cals per day, wouldn't it get impossible for them to eat only once or twice a day?....

testboner

testboner

VIP Member
Oct 10, 2010
Good work Macgyver. Takes a level of discipline, though we do / can adjust to fasting very well.
Tomorrow (June 1) marks exactly 3 years since I began a carnivore way of eating. IF and other forms of fasting incorporated as well.
The positive results are too numerous to describe. And I’ve still got room for adjustments to take things to another level.
Glad to see more discovering the irrefutable benefits of IF.

Bigtex

Bigtex

VIP Member
Aug 14, 2012
Ditto!!!!....Don't see how u guys can do this?....

Do have a question tho?....How could a pro-bb'er do this diet?....If they are consuming 10,000cals per day, wouldn't it get impossible for them to eat only once or twice a day?....

For what it is worth, I am not aware of any that use the diet. Maybe I am wrong.

BackAtIt

BackAtIt

MuscleHead
Oct 3, 2016
Good work Macgyver. Takes a level of discipline, though we do / can adjust to fasting very well.
Tomorrow (June 1) marks exactly 3 years since I began a carnivore way of eating. IF and other forms of fasting incorporated as well.
The positive results are too numerous to describe. And I’ve still got room for adjustments to take things to another level.
Glad to see more discovering the irrefutable benefits of IF.

I would like to try this style, however, I don't see me being able to stick with it!...I get headaches, nausea, etc if I don't eat on a regular basis....It sucks!....I think it would be beneficial for me if I could do it!....

testboner

testboner

VIP Member
Oct 10, 2010
I would like to try this style, however, I don't see me being able to stick with it!...I get headaches, nausea, etc if I don't eat on a regular basis....It sucks!....I think it would be beneficial for me if I could do it!....

You’d adapt, but it does take determination to get through a transition phase.

Lizard King

Lizard King

Administrator
Staff Member
Sep 9, 2010
About month 5 for me and I am loving it so far @macgyver . Was away all weekend and apparently my wife hasn't notice I haven't eaten before 1pm in the last 5 months lol

macgyver

macgyver

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 24, 2011
About month 5 for me and I am loving it so far @macgyver . Was away all weekend and apparently my wife hasn't notice I haven't eaten before 1pm in the last 5 months lol

I am experimenting with 'harder' fasting a few times a week to help drop weight. I let my weight drift up about 10 lbs and want to lean out a touch for summer.

Bascilly just eating one meal, protein only once or twice a week, and supplementing leucine. Really crazy. I used to fear so much 'wasting away', but more and more studies showing even a 24hour fast will not hurt LBM and my even help.

I am just playing around, but need to get serious if I want to be in better shape for summer.

Just been liking icecream too much (srs)

Lizard King

Lizard King

Administrator
Staff Member
Sep 9, 2010
I am experimenting with 'harder' fasting a few times a week to help drop weight. I let my weight drift up about 10 lbs and want to lean out a touch for summer.

Bascilly just eating one meal, protein only once or twice a week, and supplementing leucine. Really crazy. I used to fear so much 'wasting away', but more and more studies showing even a 24hour fast will not hurt LBM and my even help.

I am just playing around, but need to get serious if I want to be in better shape for summer.

Just been liking icecream too much (srs)
I'm not a big sweets fan like you luckily, but would rather have an awesome big ass "dinner" than the usual 3 - 6 meals a day. Having a hard time getting past the 1 - 2pm mark and don't want to add anymore caffeine in, any tricks you are using @macgyver ?

macgyver

macgyver

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 24, 2011
luckily, but would rather have an awesome big ass "dinner" than the usual 3 - 6 meals a day. Having a hard time getting past the 1 - 2pm mark and don't wa

I drink coffee. I buy powdered C8 MCT for creamer. It add neglible cals (may 9 cal) and I dont consider it breaking my fast due to the nature of MCT. Tastes just like cream also.

Of course I use artificial sweetener also.

It did not take me very long to adjust, but I do find that sipping on coffee helps me. You could always go decaf also. I think just the act of drinking it helps your brain. It is not like chugging water. You kind of sip and enjoy coffee and I think it satisfies a part of the brain.

I also do espresso when I I am trying to push to 5 or 6 to have my first meal.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic