Latest Member
lk has no balls
What's New?

Becoming a Bodybuilder

Like_a_Weed

Like_a_Weed

MuscleHead
Jan 25, 2011
I've never trained specifically for bodybuilding but have trained for a wide variety of other goals, primarily as an endurance athlete. Now it's time to get real about THIS. There's a show a year out, I plan to be there. I would really like help with my programming, but at the same time I know my body fairly well so know some things that work. My biggest goals are back width and thickness, especially lower lats and traps. And my legs are a joke. 3rd priority is arms, triceps aren't bad but I need more biceps. I will lay out my basic plan next. I've used AAS in the past and will gladly be using them again. I'm 6'2" and 220lbs. I'm 35.

overwatch

overwatch

MuscleHead
Jun 27, 2011
You'll find tons of useful info around here, but the most important is EAT! IMO training your stomach to handle the huge amounts of food needed is the hardest part.

Like_a_Weed

Like_a_Weed

MuscleHead
Jan 25, 2011
I will train 4x a week, 2 days of upper body, 2 days for legs.

Day 1
Handstand holds (rehab) 6x:20
Wide grip pullups 6x5 will add weight soon
Weighted dips 4x10 35
Weighted chins 4x5 25
Dumbbell row 4x8-12
Shrugs 4x8-12

Day 2
Back squats 5x15
Romanian deadlift 5x12
Calf raise 3x12

Day 3 Friday
Handstands 6x:20
Weighted pullups 6x3 25
incline db press (neutral grip) up to 80x10
These feel better on the rotators
Tbar 4x8-12
Tricep extension 3x12 90
Incline hammer curls 3x12 30

Day 4 Sunday
Deadlift 5x5
Shrugs 3x8
Abs 6x

Next workout I'll be better with details and I'm sure it will evolve some.

Last edited:
Like_a_Weed

Like_a_Weed

MuscleHead
Jan 25, 2011
You'll find tons of useful info around here, but the most important is EAT! IMO training your stomach to handle the huge amounts of food needed is the hardest part.

I've been trying hard, I'm a leaner guy so it's hard to be strict with diet when I never have had to be, but I will eat clean, and I've been using this forum for my diet plan. Going to go for 3500 cal a day and see where that'll get me. I tend to gain and lose pretty easy so I'll know real soon if I need to change it up.

overwatch

overwatch

MuscleHead
Jun 27, 2011
If you stay lean easily, then you probably don't have to worry so much about eating perfectly clean. In fact, you may see much better results with a big mac thrown in here and there. Hitting your macros and micros is most important. While you're billing just do whatever it takes to get enough in to grow. Cutting it will be much more important to be strict and clean.

You may also see better mass gains by only training one body part per day. This will give the worked muscles enough time to recover and grow.

This is what works best for me (everyone's results will vary)
Day 1: back
Day 2: chest
Day 3: rest
Day 4: legs
Day 5: arms
Day 6: rest
Day 7: cardio or start back to day 1

Like_a_Weed

Like_a_Weed

MuscleHead
Jan 25, 2011
I like that. Thought I needed to train each muscle more than once a week. I've been bringing sore muscles to the gym. If I trained once a week I could hit it alot harder. Is this a more standard bodybuilding plan?

Like_a_Weed

Like_a_Weed

MuscleHead
Jan 25, 2011
Day 1:

Wide grip chins 5x5
Bent row 4x6-8
Weighted chins 4x6-8
Dumbbell row or t-bar 4x8-10
Deadlift 5x5

Day 2:
Weighted dips 4x6-8
Incline press 4x6-8
Cardio 30 minute

Day 3:
Squats 5x5
Romanian deadlift 5x8-10
Leg press 3x8-10
Leg curls 3x8-10
Calf raise 3x8-10

Day 4:
Barbell curl 4x8-10
Tricep extension 4x8-10
Reverse or hammer curl 4x8-10
Press downs 4x8-10
Cardio 30 minutes

How's that look?

I just want the cardio to keep my body in shape, I'm going to be "on" thru all this, blast and cruise. I was off for 4 months and felt like shit. I feel great now. I've put on 20lbs in the last 3 weeks, I was another 20lbs heavier last year at this time.

D

Divorce

MuscleHead
Aug 11, 2011
If you stay lean easily, then you probably don't have to worry so much about eating perfectly clean. In fact, you may see much better results with a big mac thrown in here and there. Hitting your macros and micros is most important. While you're billing just do whatever it takes to get enough in to grow. Cutting it will be much more important to be strict and clean.

You may also see better mass gains by only training one body part per day. This will give the worked muscles enough time to recover and grow.

Bang on! Great Advice ^^

overwatch

overwatch

MuscleHead
Jun 27, 2011
Day 1:

Wide grip chins 5x5
Bent row 4x6-8
Weighted chins 4x6-8
Dumbbell row or t-bar 4x8-10
Deadlift 5x5

Day 2:
Weighted dips 4x6-8
Incline press 4x6-8
Cardio 30 minute

Day 3:
Squats 5x5
Romanian deadlift 5x8-10
Leg press 3x8-10
Leg curls 3x8-10
Calf raise 3x8-10

Day 4:
Barbell curl 4x8-10
Tricep extension 4x8-10
Reverse or hammer curl 4x8-10
Press downs 4x8-10
Cardio 30 minutes

How's that look?

I just want the cardio to keep my body in shape, I'm going to be "on" thru all this, blast and cruise. I was off for 4 months and felt like shit. I feel great now. I've put on 20lbs in the last 3 weeks, I was another 20lbs heavier last year at this time.

It looks ok, but could use some improvement IMO. I would add at least a couple more chest exercises. Probably flat bench and some type of flies. Also, I would add some shoulder work on chest day or even make it another day on its own. Legs I would at least double the reps of square or add some box square in there. I would also add straight leg deads for your hams. Heavy, compound movements are where your mass will come from, so I recommend doing them first.

What's your cycle look like and your cycle history? This is a unique situation since you aren't "new" but your goal is completely different than what it has been before.

Lenny89

Lenny89

MuscleHead
Dec 30, 2011

OW, see if you cant make gym every day whats the best combo for 2 body parts each sesh? chest+back , legs+ arms ect... is cardio a must for building mass?

Like_a_Weed

Like_a_Weed

MuscleHead
Jan 25, 2011
Cycle right now is 500mg test per week. Was running t-Bol but I'm not sure it was any good, did 40mg a day for about 4 weeks. I'd much rather have run dbol/winny but not enough dbol in my stash. I will try and finish with that combo since it'll get my strength way up for a lil competition that'll help me fund future cycles.

I'm liking all this advice, I'm definately doing alot of thinking and browsing thru the members journals.

The thought of adding volume to leg day is scary, I can barely do my job after leg day.

overwatch

overwatch

MuscleHead
Jun 27, 2011
Cycle right now is 500mg test per week. Was running t-Bol but I'm not sure it was any good, did 40mg a day for about 4 weeks. I'd much rather have run dbol/winny but not enough dbol in my stash. I will try and finish with that combo since it'll get my strength way up for a lil competition that'll help me fund future cycles.

I'm liking all this advice, I'm definately doing alot of thinking and browsing thru the members journals.

The thought of adding volume to leg day is scary, I can barely do my job after leg day.

Try your tbol at 60mg. That's the sweet spot for a lot of us and I can tell you the difference between 50mg and 60mg is incredible and 70-80mg doesn't really produce any better results.

You could consider dropping some of the isolation movements from your leg routine while you're billing. Heavy compound movements are where your mass will come from.

And yes it's a real bitch to work legs and the taller you are the heavy the weights seem. After a good leg workout I can't even drive myself home.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic