Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Dec 25, 2010
Mike_RN

Mike_RN

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Aug 13, 2013
The way I read it, BCAAs alone aren't enough as the circulating EAAs are insufficient. Not enough EAAs means protein synthesis stops until intact dietary proteins from Pre or Post meals (or maybe a whey shake post) are circulated. If you ate 2-3hrs preworkout and eat post workout then BCAAs are useless but for the water. You should have ample amino acids (the whole spectrum) from food and should save your money.

I train in the mornings fasted so for me the preworkout (last meal of my day) meal is already digested. I need EAAs and BCAAs in my blood stream for recovery purposes. This is why I've been a proponent of BCAA/EAA supplements intra. Simpler than intact food or whey and a steady supply during breakdown. ALRI has a product called HumaPro which I use often but any BCAA/EAA mix will suffice.

Good find @tommyguns2

CFM

CFM

National Breast Implant Awareness Month Squeezer
Mar 18, 2012
Never did anything but give me gas divorces are based on.

Bigtex

Bigtex

VIP Member
Aug 14, 2012
Good stuff TommyGuns. Here is another study backs this same subject.

Tyler A Churchward-Venne · Nicholas A Burd · Cameron J Mitchell · [...].Stuart M Phillips. Supplementation of a suboptimal protein dose with leucine or essential amino acids: Effects on myofibrillar protein synthesis at rest and following resistance exercise in men. Journal of Applied Physiology 112(12):1992-2001 · April 2012.

ABSTRACT:
Leucine is a nutrient regulator of muscle protein synthesis by activating mTOR and possibly other proteins in this pathway. The purpose of this study was to examine the role of leucine in the regulation of human (MPS). Twenty-four males completed an acute bout of unilateral resistance exercise prior to consuming either: a dose (25 g) of whey protein (WHEY); 6.25 g whey protein with total leucine equivalent to WHEY (LEU); or 6.25 g whey protein with total essential amino acids (EAAs) equivalent to WHEY for all EAAs except leucine (EAA-LEU). Measures of MPS, signalling through mTOR, and amino acid transporter (AAT) mRNA abundance were made while fasted (FAST), and following feeding under rested (FED) and post-exercise (EX-FED) conditions. Leucinaemia was equivalent between WHEY and LEU and elevated compared to EAA-LEU (P=0.001). MPS was increased above FAST at 1–3 h post-exercise in both FED (P <0.001) and EX-FED (P <0.001) conditions with no treatment effect.At 3–5 h, only WHEY remained significantly elevated above FAST in EX-FED(WHEY 184% vs. LEU 55% and EAA-LEU 35%; P =0.036). AAT mRNA abundance was increased above FAST after feeding and exercise with no effect of leucinaemia. In summary, a low dose of whey protein supplemented with leucine or all other essential amino acids was as effective as a complete protein (WHEY) in stimulating postprandial MPS; however only WHEY was able to sustain increased rates of MPS post-exercise and may therefore be most suited to increase exercise-induced muscle protein accretion.

*****So low dose whey, when combined with either leucine or EAA's is as effective at stimulating myofibrillar protein synthesis (MPS) after consumption as 25g of whey alone. However, 25g of whey was able to sustain the increased rates of MPS post exercise. The researchers feel that just consuming whey is most suited for hypertrophy. So it is very obvious that ingesting a full amino acid profile is much more effective and increasing rates of MPS post exercise. Whey also gets into the system quickly so blood levels of Leucine are also very high. Remember it is one thing to stimulate MPS and quite another to also sustain increased rates of MPS.*****

Eat high protein through the day and supplement with whey either pre- or post exercise.

V

Vick

MuscleHead
Jun 13, 2012
I'm looking at BCAAs now that I'm keeping my protein intake down. What are the best brands without caffeine?

Mike_RN

Mike_RN

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Aug 13, 2013
Make sure it’s a BCAA/EAA combo if your reducing calories. The product I mentioned above is both.

ALRI Humapro. Allstarhealth and DPSNutrution carry it.

V

Vick

MuscleHead
Jun 13, 2012
I went with this new Vegan EAA from Aussie, trying to use all USDA organic supps.

CFM

CFM

National Breast Implant Awareness Month Squeezer
Mar 18, 2012
Eat egg, dairy, pig, fish, bird protein every day and beef once or twice a week.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic