Latest Member
pbtom
What's New?

Barbell presses

The other Snake

The other Snake

VIP Member
Aug 19, 2016
I wish I had a dime for each time I told someone NOT to do barbell MP's or even worse, behind the head presses. DB's are excluded from this recommendation.

Despite my preaching, my own brother, who has had 1 shoulder surgery already texted me last night, "I fuuked my shoulder up in the gym today". He didn't even need to tell me how he did it, I knew.

So after breaking one rule of mine, he decided that wasn't good enough; let's break rule #2. "If you feel something, anything odd, stop! Dump the weight, or rack it if you're done". Nope, he got a little pinch and decided to try another rep. Guess he didn't damage it enough so he really needed to make sure it was fuuked up with another rep.

Younger brothers just won't listen!

I

Iron1

VIP Member
Jul 7, 2021
I never did like the ROM that BB OHP forced you into, DB's all the way.

Do you want to take bets on whether he tries it again once he recovers?
My money is that he will go right back to it.

The other Snake

The other Snake

VIP Member
Aug 19, 2016
I never did like the ROM that BB OHP forced you into, DB's all the way.

Do you want to take bets on whether he tries it again once he recovers?
My money is that he will go right back to it.
Oh I asked him what the recovery plan was and he told me he's hitting chest on Sat to see how he feels. "I'll be fine by next week" SMFH

BackAtIt

BackAtIt

MuscleHead
Oct 3, 2016
I wish I had a dime for each time I told someone NOT to do barbell MP's or even worse, behind the head presses. DB's are excluded from this recommendation.

I guess I'm the "fortunate" one...I started out doing BHTH presses at 13....Never have had an issue doing them....At my peak, I was able to get 275lbs for 4-6 reps at 2-4 sets when I would do them....I would try the other options, but wouldn't get the same development and/or strength gains unless I did them behind the head...Also, I felt as tho that I was getting a much better stretch from doing them behind the head...

The other Snake

The other Snake

VIP Member
Aug 19, 2016
I guess I'm the "fortunate" one...I started out doing BHTH presses at 13....Never have had an issue doing them....At my peak, I was able to get 275lbs for 4-6 reps at 2-4 sets when I would do them....I would try the other options, but wouldn't get the same development and/or strength gains unless I did them behind the head...Also, I felt as tho that I was getting a much better stretch from doing them behind the head...

I felt a little pinch in my RC just reading that. lol

midevil

midevil

TID Board Of Directors
Jan 20, 2011
Ouch! I agree if it feels weird or any pain, rack the weight immediately. I'll go as far as to move on to a different lift.

Another pointer seated barbell? Keep your head square don't move it under that weight. I herniated c-6/ 7 years ago got sloppy and turned to look at something during the lift.

HDH

HDH

TID Board Of Directors
Sep 30, 2011
I was pretty reckless when I started lifting. I think my main problem was ego at the time. These days I don't care, I probably use some of the lightest weights compared to other guys there. I'm interested in tearing down my muscles these days and that's it, lol.

I'll stop for a min in a second if I feel anything odd.

The other Snake

The other Snake

VIP Member
Aug 19, 2016
Ouch! I agree if it feels weird or any pain, rack the weight immediately. I'll go as far as to move on to a different lift.

Another rule of mine; you injure something, you pack up. No lifting for a week or 2 depending on the severity of the injury. Once back in, no direct work to that muscle for 2 weeks. After that, work back slow and light.

BackAtIt

BackAtIt

MuscleHead
Oct 3, 2016
I felt a little pinch in my RC just reading that. lol

I hear ya friend!...I can't count the number of times that I have been schooled for doing BHTHP's....They just don't/didn't bother me tho...I've tried the other method but can't/couldn't seem to get the development/pump from it....I haven't done military presses in quite a while now...However, I still go BHTH when I do pull-downs for the back (I will alternate during the set between going behind my head and pulling to the front)...If I don't go behind my head on those, it doesn't seem to work my back as well....I 'guess I'm fortunate in not incurring RC problems....

In these days tho, it really doesn't matter as I can't really lift anymore...I basically go thru the motions and try to get the blood circulating and if lucky, may get a pump....I do however recommend not to go BHTH to folks if asked for advice...I know I'm an oddball on this *LOL*....

BD Cool

BD Cool

VIP Member
Dec 1, 2011
I've always had good success with overhead shoulder presses... I lower the bar to my nose level. I've never done behind the neck presses though... they just look like they would hurt.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic