Latest posts

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest Member
RalfKelleh
What's New?

balancing working, being a mom and life with working out.

AllTheWay

AllTheWay

TID Lady Member
Mar 17, 2011
"I dont have time!" i think that is the number one excuse used by us women for why we dont or cant workout. i used it for years. i mean really, how does one work out when they have kids to care for a job and house work to do and meals to fix and laundry and the list is never ending. to be completely upfront, i think for women who have very young children, especially if they are single, it can be very difficult to find the time to fit it in. my monchers are 14 months apart and for about 4 years i cant imagine having the time or energy to have made it to the gym. i did have a husband at the time but i might have well not for as much help as he was with the monchers. i worked 12-16 hour days back then as i did mobile large animal practice and covered pretty much the entire state. when i got home i was tired and i had to take care of the kids so there wasnt any time for other things like working out!

i changed my life for my children. i loved mobile practice, i loved working on the race horses but i wasnt home enough to raise my children. i made the decision after i had my son to build a clinic and do small animal work. it was hard to change but i made those babies and it is my job to raise them and no ones elses. the clinic has been open for almost 3 years now and my kids are very much apart of the daily happenings around there. i am blessed to be able to include them in my life as much as i do. i tell my staff and my clients that the clinic is there for because of my children and if they dont like it, they can go else where. in a nice way of course :D

after my knee surgery in june of 2009, i headed to the gym to do my own phyical therapy. wow, had i ever missed it. i was really spotty at going for the first several months but then i started up at bb.com. say what you want about bb.com but i have to admit that it is the only reason that i stayed with working out when i first started. finally having a group of people who supported and encouraged me was what i needed to keep going even when i didnt feel like it. it is very improtant to have that, whether it is a spouse or an onine forum, we need the support and someone to hold us accountable and encourage us.

i get up at 4 am and spend some alone time with God and then i do hanging leg raises. the number of set and reps varies every month but it is a good chance for me to get in ab work that i wouldnt take the time to do at the gym. i am generally at the office between 7-7:30. i run my daughter to school at 7:45 and then back to the office by 8:00am. we do surgeries every morning and appointments in the afternoon. our last scheduled appointment is at 5:00pm but often we have to stay later for emergencies or various other reasons. the first 14 months or so i would workout after work. honestly this made for long days and not much energy left at night as well as not much time spent with the monchers when i wasnt working. i switched to noon workouts the first of this year. it makes for some hurried mornings sometimes but overall i have loved the change. after work the monchers and i hang out and they fight or watch movies and i usually referee and mess on the computer.

so how does all this figure into the title. i figure if i have time to workout as a single mom, with a 5 and 6yo, who owns a busines than most women should be able to have the time as well. most of us have the time to workout we just have other things in life that we put before it. i dont have TV and havent for 3 years. why? it is a waste of time for me. the way i see it is that i have way better things to do, like sleep, than watch shows that have no real influence on my life. this allows me to spend more time with the monchers. by switching to noon workouts, i lost some of my down time and it is a bit more stressful at times getting everything done in time and i only have an hour to get my lifting done but it works because i make it work. i only work one body part a day except for arms and then i do both bis and tris in the same day. does it make for the best workout schedule? probably not but it is what works for me!

i think that we get too caught up in trying to do some program and follow some set of guidelines and it makes it impossible to do and the frustration sets in and its over. we stop lifting because it isnt worth the effort and frustration. you have to make it work for you! you have to do what fits into your schedule and you have to make it a priority. there is always time to workout, sometimes one might not have the energy but it doesnt take but 30-45 mins to have an effective workout. i know this because this is how long my workouts have been for a year and half and i have gotten pretty good results. dont get caught up in the excuses, be honest with yourself and write out your priorities. if getting in shape is at the top, then stop watching one TV show a day and you will have the time to get to where you want to be. stop putting unnecessary pressure on yourself to follow some workout plan that you dont have time for. stop making excuses. make some simple goals and dont place unrealistic expectations on yourself. like they always say, you didnt get out of shape overnight and you arent going to get into shape overnight. do it for you and make it work for you!

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Great writing ATW :) I know you mentioned you're a single mom - but a suggestion for the women that have a man around to help with the child rearing... MAKE THEM HELP! If getting into some sort of shape is your priority get him on board. He'd probably like to have a hot looking wife so it shouldn't be hard to do lol... After my wife and I had our daughter, she wanted to lose the pregnancy weight. So I did my part to help.

Ms.Wetback

Ms.Wetback

VIP Lady Member
Sep 27, 2010
I really cant say much on this topic. I had my forth child at 23 years old and always found time. I think for most it is an excuse nothing more. If you want to stay healthy, stay in shape and fit you can ALWAYS find time imo. Sure it may mean a sacrifice of losing 45 min sleep 3 days a week to get up early and hi the gym or forgo the late Sat sleep in. But IF you want to make it work you can.

When I was younger I did mostly cardio and "aerobics". Then as I got older into my 30's I went more towards lifting and putting on some weight. Started bringing the kids to gym once they hit about 16yo and now 2 of our sons are "lifters" and in amazing shape. The middle son is slim and sill fit and now our daughter is starting to go to the gym as well. It is something you hand down to your kids no different than cooking, cleaning, smoking or drinking.

Thats my $.02

AllTheWay

AllTheWay

TID Lady Member
Mar 17, 2011
Great writing ATW :) I know you mentioned you're a single mom - but a suggestion for the women that have a man around to help with the child rearing... MAKE THEM HELP! If getting into some sort of shape is your priority get him on board. He'd probably like to have a hot looking wife so it shouldn't be hard to do lol... After my wife and I had our daughter, she wanted to lose the pregnancy weight. So I did my part to help.

this is a great point POB. i didnt go there because my ex never ever would have helped watch the kids because he doesnt believe in working out to get into shape. he woud get pissed off every time i even suggested it. although he liked looking at other women that were in shape :rolleyes:

AllTheWay

AllTheWay

TID Lady Member
Mar 17, 2011
I really cant say much on this topic. I had my forth child at 23 years old and always found time. I think for most it is an excuse nothing more. If you want to stay healthy, stay in shape and fit you can ALWAYS find time imo. Sure it may mean a sacrifice of losing 45 min sleep 3 days a week to get up early and hi the gym or forgo the late Sat sleep in. But IF you want to make it work you can.

When I was younger I did mostly cardio and "aerobics". Then as I got older into my 30's I went more towards lifting and putting on some weight. Started bringing the kids to gym once they hit about 16yo and now 2 of our sons are "lifters" and in amazing shape. The middle son is slim and sill fit and now our daughter is starting to go to the gym as well. It is something you hand down to your kids no different than cooking, cleaning, smoking or drinking.

Thats my $.02

LOL i think you said quite a bit on this topic. :D it is definately something that we either want or we dont want enough to work for it. i think it is definately easier for a woman whose husband is into lifting to make the time for it. my ex was not in any way for it and most definately strongly against it so had i really pushed it, we probably would have been divorced sooner (which wouldnt have been a bad thing)

i think the most improtant thing is not using lack of time as an excuse. because as you said, there is always time.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011

Thats my $.02

Thats awesome that you can take the kids to the gym... I have dreams of my daughter as an olympic lifter and actually IN the olympics. She's only three but she's always been a big girl. Wears 5 year old clothing lol... And very strong.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
this is a great point POB. i didnt go there because my ex never ever would have helped watch the kids because he doesnt believe in working out to get into shape. he woud get pissed off every time i even suggested it. although he liked looking at other women that were in shape :rolleyes:

Hope no offense here, but what a dick... Explains a bit about why he's your ex I guess.

Ms.Wetback

Ms.Wetback

VIP Lady Member
Sep 27, 2010
Thats awesome that you can take the kids to the gym... I have dreams of my daughter as an olympic lifter and actually IN the olympics. She's only three but she's always been a big girl. Wears 5 year old clothing lol... And very strong.

Live it and if your wife goes it is a HUGE help. It will be "expected" for her to be in shape without saying a word.

What I found out is with the girls it is a touchy subject (Unless EXTREMELY obese). You cant mention weight unless they do, cant mention diet unless they do, but if it is brought up you respectfully mention about them joining you at the gym.

Biggest difference I think was the food situation. We have ZERO junk in the house. A "treat" is if we get chips when BBQ'ing. Plenty of food for them to eat but it is more on the healthy side. We dont deny ourselves foodly pleasures but like everything, there is a time and place. And as the kids see this they will live it and embrace it.

AllTheWay

AllTheWay

TID Lady Member
Mar 17, 2011

my monchers both say all the time that they want to be strong like mamma :) my daughter does her "exercises" to work on her belly :D my son loves to run and i think if i can keep him away from his dad so that he doesnt ruin it for him, he will be a great athlete. both of them talk about going to workout with mamma when they get older.

AllTheWay

AllTheWay

TID Lady Member
Mar 17, 2011
Live it and if your wife goes it is a HUGE help. It will be "expected" for her to be in shape without saying a word.

What I found out is with the girls it is a touchy subject (Unless EXTREMELY obese). You cant mention weight unless they do, cant mention diet unless they do, but if it is brought up you respectfully mention about them joining you at the gym.

Biggest difference I think was the food situation. We have ZERO junk in the house. A "treat" is if we get chips when BBQ'ing. Plenty of food for them to eat but it is more on the healthy side. We dont deny ourselves foodly pleasures but like everything, there is a time and place. And as the kids see this they will live it and embrace it.

it is very hard with girls. my daughter is big and a bit on the heavy side thanks to her dad trying to buy her love with candy and sweets. i dont say anything about her weight but try to encourage her to go for walks and to exercise with hopes that it will become a good habit that she continues for life.

i also try to not have junk food around the house but with her dad living literally right next door she just goes over there. :( i have tried to talk to him but it never goes over very well.

Ms.Wetback

Ms.Wetback

VIP Lady Member
Sep 27, 2010
it is very hard with girls. my daughter is big and a bit on the heavy side thanks to her dad trying to buy her love with candy and sweets. i dont say anything about her weight but try to encourage her to go for walks and to exercise with hopes that it will become a good habit that she continues for life.

i also try to not have junk food around the house but with her dad living literally right next door she just goes over there. :( i have tried to talk to him but it never goes over very well.

It is a two way street.........if BOTH parents are not on board it is very difficult. We all know the sacrifice needed to have a look and build we like. We all know we are always striving for more and pushing harder. When one of the parents are showing, "hey you can be lazy and dont have to worry about fitness", of course the odds of them wanting to put out effort, time and sacrifice to stay fit is going to be slim to none.

It is like any other trait that is passed down. It works better when BOTH parents are on board. Then it is accepted as just "part of normal life"

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic