pbtom

Arnold Powerlifting thoughts

• Thread starter porky little keg
  • Start Date
porky little keg

porky little keg

MuscleHead
May 21, 2011
There was some great lifting done at the XPC meets for sure.... none of it by me LOL.... I was one of many who couldn't get their balance on the squat and ended with the first big bomb out of my career ( other than the one where I tried to compete with pneumonia)....

In the light weights Caslow smoked a 900 squat, 555 bench, and 670 pull ( almost got 700) at 176# bw
Minuth ended at 900-830-705 at 220, narrowly missing depth on a 960 squat and 865 bench - and missing 1st place to Dan Tijanero by only 5 lbs.... great show down at 220 as Dan pulled a PR 775 pull for the win.
LOTS of 900+ squats on the LW day

on the HW day
McNett went 2500+ and was close to 2600 with a few lifts taken away. Chad Walker had a few taken away and still ended at 2605. Chad and I have talked a bit online so it was cool to hang out with him a little at the meet. He's seriously E-fuc-kin-normous....
Brian Carrol smashed his 1100 opener and no more, hit an 800 bench and only pulled 145 after tweaking something.
Henry Thomason opened at 1220 and couldn't get one in.
Yarmbash opened at 1145 and smoked it, then tweaked his knee on his second and pulled out.
8 guys opened over a grand on the HW day... lots of guys down to the 242 class got 4-didgit squats....

Judging on both days was really tight. I've competed at WPC worlds and APF seniors and this was right on par.

The benchers on stage Sunday at the expo hall really stole the show.
With a whole 5 people watching the jump rope thing before them and a whole 6 watching table tennis after them you could really see the draw as the chairs filled up and a HUGE crowd of guys stood around for the full hour to watch the benchers. Great performances on bench brought guys in, the announcer killed it and kept people entertained.

Kolb won the HW with a monster 950 press. Matt Houser ended with 910 and barely missed 950 maybe a 1/2" from lockout. Jake Prazak missed 925 on his 2nd and came back -smoked it on his 3rd.
I believe that Gene-the Russian - won the LW. Tom Waldrep nearly hit 760 for the win but lost it at the top.... at 50 years old and 220 bw!. Tim Hensley at 181 and drug free smoked a 700 bench. Mariana killed 290 at 14 years old and was picked up by Overkill on the spot. That kid is STRONG.
Womack got his 800 opener, missed 860, and almost got what he thought was 915 ( 2 to 1 judges call for no lift but he pressed it) only to find out later that it was misloaded with 1020. The guy was a soft lockout away from pressing 1020 in a single ply!
Meeker couldn't lock his 800 opener and called for 1050 on his second. He was shaking a bit on the way down, touched it and gave it a hell of a ride on the way up.... about 3 inches before missing it.... only to find out that they misloaded him by 200 pounds. So, he accidentally took a 1250 bench for a ride. He tried 1050 on his third and couldn't lock it out. He was supposed to get another try at 1050 because of the misload but they ran out of time.

It was seriously awesome to see some MONSTER crowds watching powerlifting at the main stage. Hopefully this shows the Arnold execs that powerlifting has a draw and it takes us one step closer to getting more time and exposure at the event.

Dan Dague ran great events all weekend. It's a shame that the controversy around Gene keeps Metal Militia and Westside away from these events it would be great to see more top guys coming out and pushing the competition.

porky little keg

porky little keg

MuscleHead
May 21, 2011
I almost forgot.... Andy Bolton did push/pull... hit a low 7s bench press and missed a big one..... opened at 800 in the deadlift and SMASHED a 925 deadlift. That dude is a damn monster.
He seemed really cool but his accent is so thick I seriously couldn't understand anything he said.

FLEXjs

FLEXjs

MuscleHead
Apr 23, 2012
Thanks for the write-up.

How many misloads were there??? How the hell does that happen?

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Those are some big misloads.

It would have been cool to have witnessed some of those monster lifts. Hopefully, I'll get out there next year.

Turbolag

Turbolag

TID's Official Donut Tester
Oct 14, 2012
Sorry to hear about your squat Porky.

I wish there would have been a live stream for the XPC but I was told they don't do live streams.

I was able to see only a couple lifts from videos posted on FB.

I saw Jimmies 950 bench. It looked sweet.

They had some REALLY impressive single ply lifters at the IPF or USAPL meet on Saturday and Sunday.

A lot of those girls and guys competed on both days too !

Last edited:
PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Not surprised about the tight judging with Mean Gene Rychlak at the show.

Reactions: MJR
mands

mands

VIP Member
Jul 24, 2012
So, just wanted to say a buddy was at the Arnold and did pretty decent. Not nearlly those numbers but some PR's non the less.

He's 46 and his numbers were 933 Squat, 567 bench and 660 DL. He got 4th in his class.

I was proud of him and told him to keep working hard. He was a little dissapointed I think.

mands

any1uno

any1uno

MuscleHead
Dec 22, 2010
surprised at so many mis-loads. Not sure how they could screw up so badly. 200#s! were they blind!!!!

BTW..nice write up Porky. Thank you for sharing.

porky little keg

porky little keg

MuscleHead
May 21, 2011
surprised at so many mis-loads. Not sure how they could screw up so badly. 200#s! were they blind!!!!

BTW..nice write up Porky. Thank you for sharing.

As for the misloads...... it's just one extra 100# plate on each side...... It's unfortunate, but there was a lot of pressure to run the meet quickly so they were cruising. There were no problems like this on full power days.

porky little keg

porky little keg

MuscleHead
May 21, 2011
So, just wanted to say a buddy was at the Arnold and did pretty decent. Not nearlly those numbers but some PR's non the less.

He's 46 and his numbers were 933 Squat, 567 bench and 660 DL. He got 4th in his class.

I was proud of him and told him to keep working hard. He was a little dissapointed I think.

mands

Was that at the USAPL meet?

porky little keg

porky little keg

MuscleHead
May 21, 2011
No sir! RPS I believe.

mands

You might want to check that.... the XPC/rps meet was in pounds, not kilos. In 5 lb increments I believe.
I was going to say that a 9+ USAPL squat is fan****ingtastic......

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic