Latest Member
pbtom
What's New?

Arm-wrestling

SAD

SAD

TID Board Of Directors
Feb 3, 2011
Who's into it, who's competed before, and what is it that makes someone great at it?

I've been a casual arm-wrestler my whole life. I have pictures of me arm-wrestling my dad when I was 7ish, and more when I was a late teen (beating him finally), and then your various bar matches and drunken house-party matches.

I've never been beaten as an adult so I went to a PAL match in Central Florida about a year and a half ago, hosted by Travis Bagent (a guy I watched on ESPN when I was a teen, clef lip talking shit and smashing everyone). I got there late due to traffic and missed the sign-ups. I was fucking bummed because I had driven hours to compete and was relegated to just watching. But after it was all said and done, they left the table up and everyone just took turns having fun. I started running through them all until Travis walked up. He had won the Pro hw division right handed and left, and had also had a good match with the amateur hw champion too, but he had watched me running through the other guys and came over to humble me. But he didn't humble me, in fact, I pinned him fast and hard and he immediately was like "I'm so tired I'm cramping", which was likely true and I was humble about pinning him but inside I was hooked, pun intended.

He gave me a shirt and we exchanged numbers to train together and then we never did and the virus shut everything down as far as competing. Now I'm itching to compete.

My theory on why I'm naturally good at it...I'm tall and leverage is real, my hand is huge, I played baseball at a pretty high level and threw low/mid 90s, I low-bar squatted really heavy (600+) for years, I benched heavy (400+) for years, and I'm naturally athletic which helps the whole body to work together (arm wrestling is anything but just the arm).

Any stories and/or videos, of you or just favorite matches, put em up. I'll try to edit out my face in some of my bar matches so I can post them. Didn't have anyone with me when I beat Travis and it happened so fast that I didn't think about handing my phone to someone. Plus I thought he was about to rape me.

Lizard King

Lizard King

Administrator
Staff Member
Sep 9, 2010
Been arm wrestling most of my life, everyone wants to try to take on the big guy and they usually lose. Worked in a bar as a bouncer and bartender for over 15 years and very very rarely lost, even when reaching over the bar sometimes.
Those PAL meets are insane, some guys only strength is in that one movement. My biggest challenge is for people just like you, longer forearms and a height advantage.
My Uncle is 6'2 and would torment me as a kid beating me weekly but also giving me the ambition to get strong as fuck to finally beat him.

SAD

SAD

TID Board Of Directors
Feb 3, 2011
Been arm wrestling most of my life, everyone wants to try to take on the big guy and they usually lose. Worked in a bar as a bouncer and bartender for over 15 years and very very rarely lost, even when reaching over the bar sometimes.
Those PAL meets are insane, some guys only strength is in that one movement. My biggest challenge is for people just like you, longer forearms and a height advantage.
My Uncle is 6'2 and would torment me as a kid beating me weekly but also giving me the ambition to get strong as fuck to finally beat him.

I had a 50yr old farmer who was about 6'6" give me an incredible run with $100 on the line at a cool little bar/brewery called MotorWorks down in Bradenton. I ended up tiring him out for the most part, and we showed due respect and then his son pays me. Guy shakes his arm out and looks at me with a little smile and says, "double or nothing lefty?" We did and he was still exhausted from the first, so it wasn't a long match but I wouldn't take the second $100. That dude would have probably beaten me in his younger years.

He's a legend and one of the best of all time. Not a well-known name but he's beat a who's who of absolute all-stars, making him legendary. I'll be one weight class down if I ever compete at the same event as him, thankfully, but I do want to try to top roll him in the unlimited class (seems to be the only way to beat him). He smashed Bagent a few times back in the day too, when Bagent was world class. I'm not sure what happened to Bagent but I didn't arm wrestle the monster I saw on tv. I easily outweighed him and was 2-3 inches taller. Do you arm wrestle 1bigun? I'm trying hard not to ask the obvious question here...haha.

Beserker

Beserker

Jan 5, 2021
Over The Top inspired me to become arm wrestling champion of my elementary school in only 3rd grade back in 87/88. I haven’t arm wrestled in over 20 years though.

That S&W 500 in the video was inspirational... gotta get one now!

Snachito1

Snachito1

VIP Member
Jan 12, 2018
I always wanted to arm wrestle, but sadly I just don't have the foundation for it (thick wrists, big bones, strong tendons) and I would most of the time would hurt the inside tendon by my elbow!! I remember watching the WSM and they had Magnus Samuelson vs Nathan Jones in arm wrestling and pretty much everybody had "Mega man" (Nathan Jones 6'11 ) picked to win even before the match started...everyone was wrong and Magnus snapped Nathans arm!! Anytime AW was on ESPN or any sports channel, I loved to sit down and watch!!

Bro Bundy

Bro Bundy

MuscleHead
Nov 1, 2012
Lincoln hawks was the man .. Sly always got the coolest names . John Rambo , Rocky balboa,Ray tango, the list goes on and on

Lizard King

Lizard King

Administrator
Staff Member
Sep 9, 2010
I did arm wrestle Bubba Ray Dudley from the WWE when I was in college, I will tell you, he almost ripped my arm off, he was just starting out in ECW.

SAD

SAD

TID Board Of Directors
Feb 3, 2011
I hate seeing arms break but Magnus is a beast! That top roll he put on Jones showed he knew a thing or two about arm wrestling and Jones had himself in a dangerous position that leads to the humerus breaking and there you have it. I've seen refs stop matches when guys were in that shitty position and still fighting it. Nobody wants to see that. It's like seeing a bicep roll up during a deadlift.

I was inspired and arm wrestled a lot last night at a local pub that is known for it. Still undefeated here in this little town but I'm not fool, I know there's monsters all over that can beat me. Going to have a table made so I can practice more and take it to the bar for some more legitimate matches. The bar owner is going to talk to his insurance company to find out about having an amateur tournament there. I have videos from last night but simply can't keep my face out of them, and I'm not savvy with video editing tools.

I'm too old for real sports anymore, as far as actually competing, so I think I'll put 100% into this for a few years and see where it takes me.

Lizard King

Lizard King

Administrator
Staff Member
Sep 9, 2010
His wrist and arm were in a horrible position, ref should have stopped that. There is almost no coming back one you lose your wrist and your arm is stretched out.
Send me the link to the video @SAD would like to see how we'd match up. Your long arms are my nemesis.

tommyguns2

tommyguns2

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Dec 25, 2010
Just curious how much "quickness" plays in winning? I know all the top guys are strong, but among the top guys, what's the factor that results in the win?

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic