Latest Member
pbtom
What's New?

Arm Wrestling 101

SAD

SAD

TID Board Of Directors
Feb 3, 2011
1 - You can (and should) use your entire body to arm wrestle. As long as your elbow stays on the pad, you can lean and lunge and jerk and drop and lurch, etc. (safely and within reason). It’s a common misconception that you cannot use your body and thus body weight while pulling. You still have to be able to connect whatever inertia your body creates to your hand and through the opponents hand/arm/body. Without all the links being strong, the power from your body gets bled out along the way to the opponent.

2 - “Slip” - when two opponents cannot maintain grip while arm wrestling and must then be strapped together to mechanically prevent the hands from separating. Many arm wrestlers prefer the strap and thus intentionally slip to get it. The strap takes some of the hand/wrist out of play, making overall power of the arm and body more accessible. Generally, the puller with the greatest horsepower but maybe not the greatest wrist/hand, would benefit the most from the strap.

3 - “Strap” - already touched on but the strap is literally a fabric strip that wraps around the hands and wrists of the arm wrestlers a certain way, and then is buckled together to prevent the hands from separating during the contest. The idea is to creat some fairness here but there are many ways to “cheat” your way to a better strap position and make it incredibly uncomfortable on an unknowing opponent. The strap is it’s own beast and another art form to a sport that one would think would be simple but is anything BUT.

4 - Fouls and Microfouls and Restarts - simply said, your elbow must stay in contact with the pad. Can’t come up, or go off any side. You also can’t start before go. Duh. But it happens a lot, both of those things. So it’s tough to watch sometimes and it’s slow to get going and then really fast once it goes. But the more you watch and understand, the more fun it is to watch and understand.

5 - Arm breaks - they happen, rarely, but they happen. And they suck. But they can mostly be avoided with guidance. Also, other sports have way more injuries, and more serious. Breaks heal pretty quick with no long term issues.

Rock Diesel

Rock Diesel

Mar 16, 2022
Great post. I've actually been watching a lot of arm wrestling stuff lately and it took my some time to get a concept of all the rules and nuances that you see during matches.

I'm looking forward to the match between Devon Larratt and Levon Saginashvili.

SAD

SAD

TID Board Of Directors
Feb 3, 2011
Great post. I've actually been watching a lot of arm wrestling stuff lately and it took my some time to get a concept of all the rules and nuances that you see during matches.

I'm looking forward to the match between Devon Larratt and Levon Saginashvili.

Thanks RD, yeah that match (June 25th I think) is genuinely the 2 best in the world. If Devon can come in over 300lbs and healthy, it may be closer than most want to admit. I respect them both but I’m rooting for Devon for sure.

Rock Diesel

Rock Diesel

Mar 16, 2022
Same here! I've become a huge fan of Devon's since I started watching. I've gone back and watched a lot of his old matches through current. Fun to watch.

There has been so much back and forth about their match in regards to the contract and rules. It's going to be great. I'm in Devon's corner as well.

Reactions: SAD
Ogre717

Ogre717

TID Official Lab Rat
Jul 22, 2011
Been seeing a shit ton of videos of "schoolboy" arm wrestling in YouTube lately. The kids demeanor is almost creepy calm.

1bigun11

1bigun11

MuscleHead
Oct 23, 2010
Been seeing a shit ton of videos of "schoolboy" arm wrestling in YouTube lately. The kids demeanor is almost creepy calm.
Yeah that schoolboy kid is something else.

T

Trip

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2022
i don't follow

my best friend, is a freak at it though, 160 lbs, unless ur over 200 lbs and exp, it's over

watched some folks really get hurt though over the yars

midevil

midevil

TID Board Of Directors
Jan 20, 2011
I was once involved in a Biker event to raise funds for a charity. We decided to have an arm wrestling contest as the main attraction. Had a small cover fee as well as participation cost. Also had female competitors.

Had a huge turnout everyone had a blast.

S

searay

VIP Member
Dec 20, 2017
I don't get how these guys last. You're torturing the easiest parts of your body to injure. Shoulder, elbow (big time), wrist and hands where there are so many bones and tendons. All the training they do that looks like it would hurt like hell. And then match after match of going all out. Last time I arm wrestled it took like 10 minutes for me to get him down. I had tendonitis in my elbow for months.

ccpro

ccpro

Nov 15, 2012
Been watching for years, know all the players via social media. Brznk, of course is the "goat" but there are so many greats with the potential to surpass him. Devon is of course the obvious...relay in the US.

rAJJIN

rAJJIN

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 30, 2011
I got to arm wrestle Travis Bagnet at a motocross event in St.Louis some
Years ago. A big group of the WAF guys were there. I thought I would
Let 4-5 guys go before me and then steal the show ( if you beat him they paid out 5k)
No chance for me. It felt like his arm was a hydrolic pump. My arm hurt for two weeks

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic