Latest Member
Kiddorism

Are you a Powerlifter?

Jasthace

Jasthace

MuscleHead
May 29, 2011
I have to disagree and call BS
Just because a person doesn't compete in tennis or golf and squash and running or motorcycle riding or any event or pastime , they may do and put many hours a week into .. does not mean that they can not be classified as being a participant in that event and pastime or sport.

Ramrod

Ramrod

MuscleHead
Jun 5, 2012
Not a Powerlifter till you have competed.. I Agree

If you lift like a PL, but don't compete... Your a Powerbuilder...

Go Away

Go Away

MuscleHead
Dec 28, 2011
Now... I have seen a resurgence in PLing (at least in my city) and I'm Fuking elated to see it. I've also seen the younger generation is full of pussies who don't want to work or they put in half ass work.

We started to see this surge in our gym within the last year, especially after I completed and became "the guy who competes". Tons of questions, people jumping on programs left and right... Now, keep in mind it's a local YMCA and there are tons of teenagers in there looking for the next big "GAINZ" maker...

The trend I noticed:
"Nah, I took a break on the powerlifting thing to focus more on symmetry."

"I'm doing more volume now rather than heavier lifts to get stronger and more cut."

"I'm doing this hybrid program I got off bb.cum that allows for strength gains and muscle gains while losing fat. It's awesome. You should try it..."

At one point the deadlift platform and the squat rack were crowded as fuxk and I was getting annoyed having to weight for assholes tweeting in between their working sets of 165 and shit... But now that platform is all ours.

FLEXjs

FLEXjs

MuscleHead
Apr 23, 2012
If you lift like a PL, but don't compete... Your a Powerbuilder...

If you lift (either for bodybuilding or powerlifting) and do not compete then you are a "Recreational Weightlifter".

(i.e. Gym Rat)

Ramrod

Ramrod

MuscleHead
Jun 5, 2012
God I hate that term.

I swear whenever I hear "Powerbuilder", it's like someone is running their fingernails down a chalkboard.

If you lift (either for bodybuilding or powerlifting) and do not compete then you are a "Recreational Weightlifter".

(i.e. Gym Rat)

Flex that makes better sense... I change my mind the more I think about it.

LOL......

giphy.gif

ChrisLindsay9

ChrisLindsay9

MuscleHead
Jun 17, 2013
Context is kind of important too.

My wife trains as a powerlifter but she's not competed. Now, she wouldn't say that she is a powerlifter. But if someone asks her what kind of weight lifting she does, she would reply "powerlifting type" or "as a powerlifter" ... and that's because she doesn't just do strength training based on the three lifts: squat, bench, and deadlift ... but rather she uses powerlifting programming and her assistance work is to help make her better at those specific lifts: squat, bench, and deadlift.

Now after October, she'll be able to say that she is a powerlifter (that is, if she plans on competing again). :D

But for now, she just says she's a weightlifter. And I say I'm a "competitive powerlifter" to distinguish myself from the gym rats who train like powerlifters. And we just leave "powerlifter" for that gray area of people who may train like a powerlifter, or compete sporadically, or do them with only half a mind to be competitive, get PRs, or chase records.

E

EastCoast1

Jul 20, 2015
I have to disagree and call BS
Just because a person doesn't compete in tennis or golf and squash and running or motorcycle riding or any event or pastime , they may do and put many hours a week into .. does not mean that they can not be classified as being a participant in that event and pastime or sport.
Different context. Because those can be hobbies, and not indicative of competing. Being a "powerlifter" automatically entails competing. The platform is what makes one a powerlifter. You can "train as a powerlifter" but you can't be one until you compete. You wouldn't call yourself a marathon runner if you never ran a marathon. You can eat a lot but you aren't a competitive eater until you compete..lol

Shit I know people who don't consider Bench only, push pull, or DL only guys powerlifters...LOL Powerlifting is 3 lifts.

But for now, she just says she's a weightlifter.
If ya wanna get technical. Weightlifting is Olympic Lifting. Calling it Olympic Lifting is more of a new thing/misnomer. It is just known as weightlifting. lol

ChrisLindsay9

ChrisLindsay9

MuscleHead
Jun 17, 2013
If ya wanna get technical. Weightlifting is Olympic Lifting. Calling it Olympic Lifting is more of a new thing/misnomer. It is just known as weightlifting. lol
How about the capital "W" means Weightlifting in the Olympic Lifting sense? And the lower case "w" means generic "lifter of weights?" haha

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic