Members
Latest Member
Kiddorism

Are you a Powerlifter?

uphillclimb

uphillclimb

VIP Member
Dec 9, 2011
This was told to me and I'll pass it along...

If you haven't stepped up on the platform and gotten a total, you aren't a powerlifter.

Just because you know how to throw a football, doesn't make you a football player, either.

I'm no expert by any means, but seen a few people at the gym in the last two days claim to be....and it seems like the younger generation feels the right to say they are a powerlifter because they bounced 405 off the deck a couple of times.

End rant/

C

C T J

Crossfit VIP
Jan 24, 2013
Between powerlifting, weightlifting (oly), and crossfitting I'm the best at powerlifting but not a powerlifter (never competed)

DieYoungStrong

DieYoungStrong

VIP Member
May 27, 2013
You're not a powerlifter until you have a total on the books. If you're a guy with a 600lb total on the books, you are a PLer. If you have a 2000 lb gym "total", you're an insanely strong gym rat, but not a PLer.

A new guy came in my local gym (close to home when I can't train with the team) with a Westside shirt. I got all excited thinking there might be another PLer around. Nope, not a Pler. I nicely told him that he was like a guy wearing a Harley shirt without a bike.

C

C T J

Crossfit VIP
Jan 24, 2013
This poses the question. Is someone that trains hard for aesthetics, size, etc. but doesn't compete a bodybuilder?

Last edited:
RAIDEN

RAIDEN

VIP Member
Feb 22, 2012
Am I a powerlifter? No, but I eat like one :D

uphillclimb

uphillclimb

VIP Member
Dec 9, 2011
This poses the question. Is someone that trains hard for aesthetics, size, etc. but doesn't compete a bodybuilder?
This is in the PL forum for a reason lol.

But to answer...from my POV, no. However that question has some ambiguity to the answer because of the title and the nature.

C

C T J

Crossfit VIP
Jan 24, 2013
This is in the PL forum for a reason lol.

But to answer...from my POV, no. However that question has some ambiguity to the answer because of the title and the nature.

haha no doubt. Powerlifting has a completely different mindset.

Last edited:
BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Every sport requires a certain mindset and to compete means you test that mindset... you test your intestinal fortitude. Most don't have it. This will be nothing more than a fad... something that's cool... something to get chicks... etc.. for them. They will train for a couple years, perhaps do a meet, and then they'll fade like scars on the body.

The greats that so many follow on social media have been doing this for decades. They have put in the blood, sweat, and tears. They fight to put pounds on their lift... not tens of pounds in the next 12 weeks.

Now... I have seen a resurgence in PLing (at least in my city) and I'm Fuking elated to see it. I've also seen the younger generation is full of pussies who don't want to work or they put in half ass work.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic