Latest Member
Rolanalon
What's New?

Are you a home gym type?

bigrobbie

bigrobbie

TID OG Member
Sep 19, 2010
So you think maybe you are ready to convert your extra space into a home gym. I know you don't hate your gym but maybe the grass is greener or something like that.

I prefer a gym setting but for arguments sake let's lay out just a couple pros vs cons in the event there may still be some fence sitters.

Local gym:

Pro- there is always a spotter and equipment as far as one can see!

Con- for reasons that still perplex me, there always seems to be a Space Mountain size line for the bench press stations; look, bench is important but geez! Does the entire membership demographic under 35 have to wait like they're in line for a porta-potty at a music festival!

Home gym:

Pros- you can be as messy as hell and not have to worry bout small talk!

Cons- It's easy to say you'll just workout later! You may be interrupted with family stuff!

I am assuming that anyone wanting to make a home gym should* be well versed in resistance training. Just for safety you have to understand that and form...

I think prior to commiting to this adventure it is a very good idea to buy some basic equipment ie: 110# barbell set, a few dumbbells, a chin bar and maybe a cheap bench. Take a couple months and see if you enjoy working out at home.

You will either enjoy the privacy or simply despise it! If ya hate it then you are saving yourself time and money. If you like it, you know for sure you should go for it! It's either your cup of tea or it isn't so just be honest with yourself.

We've decided that the folks who want to keep with the local gym will do just that....so now we're going to address the home gym heros and try to give some perspective on this project. First thing I recommend is as easy as it gets. Make a list to help with planning, focus and practicality.

The List:

1) Determine how much space (sq. footage) you have.

2) Decide on an ergonomic floor plan-you will use this plan again when equipment selections are made.

3) Set a budget for equipping your gym, then find trusted dealer(s) and finally, make a call on what / how much to buy to begin the process of furnishing (for lack of a better term).

Here is the grey area: I want to suggest starter equipment but without knowing your space and budget I'll just have to guess-ta-mate on this. Here goes:

Let's say you have chosen to get the following-

1) Dumbbell racks stocked with pairs in the 10-100 #'s- side note here, please don't buy adjustable bells. The extra money you'll spend buying fixed olympic dumbbells is well worth it! Cost estimate including dumbbell rack system=$700-$900

2) Olympic barbell set. Standard 300# set as you can add more plates later. Most include the following... 1 bar weighing 45#'s; 2 plates @45#'s; 2 @ 35#'s; 2 @ 25#'s; 2 @ 10#'s; and generally 4 plates @ 5#'s and 2 @ 2.5#'s. Also unless you want to be a YouTube viral video or the topic of your local EMT's "wtf" conversations remember the clips. I prefer spring clips. Estimated cost should be in the $100-$300 range. (If you buy used it's much less).

3) You're always important barbell bench is a must...To save space as well as money I would go with a multi function bench. An incline, decline, flat bench with rear dip bar and squat rack is the BMW of in home equipment. Estimated cost $200-$500. Again used is a money saver!

In my opinion guys and gals, this is a solid start. Remember there are endless ways to spend money stocking your gym...but start conservative, please...

Lastly, we need to understand that building a home gym is about ease of access, being in your own space. It is not to save money! It won't!

Finally, even though you are comfortable working out at home, DO NOT COMPROMISE SAFETY! USE THE SAFE GUARDS ON YOUR EQUIPMENT IF YOU ARE WITHOUT A SPOTTER!

There ya have it...another sub par post by your pal bigrobbie! Start the disagreement, JK! Enjoy!

V

Vick

MuscleHead
Jun 13, 2012
I love hearing the waves crashing as the sun is setting while I'm working out before a long night out, so I yeah I prefer a home gym, outside, with 75" TVs displaying the hottest girls working out on mute with the surround sound pumping out my newest workout playlist on club speakers, just saying.

rumbletumble

rumbletumble

Feb 25, 2012
Since I live 40 minutes from the closest gym I have quite a bit of ironmind equipment plus a few pieces of Atlantis Strength Equipment, all A1 quality stuff. If I didn't live out here in BFE I would go to the gym, but gas & time driving it's just not worth it in my opinion.

monsoon

monsoon

Senior Bacon VIP
Nov 1, 2010
I've been training at home for 10yrs. When I can lift all the weight I have ill join a gym. Or get more.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
If I had the means in terms of space and funds.... I'd def go home gym. A monolift, platform, comp bench, cage, specialty bars, chains, bands, etc....

monsoon

monsoon

Senior Bacon VIP
Nov 1, 2010
Yeah, I don't have a monolift.

S

schultz1

Bangs Raiden's mom VIP
Jan 3, 2011
Lets be honest, if youre training at home, you are most likely training alone. Therefore a monolift is of no use and not necessary. Power rack and walk that shit, old school baby.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Lets be honest, if youre training at home, you are most likely training alone. Therefore a monolift is of no use and not necessary. Power rack and walk that shit, old school baby.

That's the kicker.... I wouldn't be alone. There are 3-4 guys I train with who would love to train in a garage gym. Don't forget many of the best PLing gyms are garage gyms.

Halo

Halo

VIP Member
Jul 5, 2011
I'm building the garage gym now. Started with a multipurpose bench that I could use the safety bars backwards as a squat rack pretty high vertical supports. I bought a Texas power bar for my bench and squat for the mean time. Mastodon squat bar will come in a few months. I now have a competition bench from Texas Strength Systems it's pretty nice.

I built a deadlift platform that came out awesome using 2 sheets of 4 X 8 plywood then a half sheet of high grade maple veneer 4 X 4 for the center platform then used a 3/4" 2 ft by 4 ft horse stall rubber mat to be the landing zone for the weights. It's heavy as hell but very sweet well worth the effort, Bull, MJR and POB have seen it MJR and I both pulled 600 on it on different nights. The icing on my deadlift cake is an Okie deadlift bar there is no better.

I just ordered my mono from Elite it's going to be sweet. I will be needing the mastodon I hate flexing bars when I'm squatting.

I am lite on dumbells right now but they will come I have my eye on craigslist I currently have 15s, 20s, 35s and 45s.

I scored a not so great but decent smith machine which will primarily be used to hang me into my gear I'm a multiply lifter.

I need an incline bench and a small vertical seat for overhead presses, a lat pull down station (which I'm going to look at one that uses plates for 150 tomorrow, we'll see) and that should be it.

Plates here is the goodness. Craigslist guy selling a gang of plates for 50 cents a lb. I was going to get 16 when i got there he only thought he had 12 left he apologized and we found a 13th he through it in for free along with 2 X 35s then I spotted what I thought were two more 45s they turned out to be 100s I asked are you selling those? He said my boss probably wants to keep those but let me give him a call. He came back and gave them to me for 50 cents a lb. So in total I got 855 lbs for 320 dollars about 37 cents a lb. The plates were rusty, I took an angle grinder with a knotty looking stainless cup brush to them with my wife and I primed them and painted them grey they came out awesome. I previously bought 550lbs of plates so I have around 1,400lbs that will do for a while.

My motivation is working long psycho hours around the 100 hr a week mark really no time to make it to a gym and the gyms don't really cater to PLrs all the no chalk, shitty not deadlifting bars wrong height benches and crowds, I should have done this earlier. But now the 100 hr work weeks are giving me the money to be able to afford a good little garage gym. I've got one freak of nature MJR who lives close to lift with and my wife is always here to work the handle and she's a great bench spotter. I actually let her spot me with 545 in a regular gym a few years back that shit will motivate you to not fail LOL....

Always a spot for crazy people like BrotherIron here as well.

Halo

Halo

VIP Member
Jul 5, 2011
I hope you do brother I'm looking forward to it!

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic