Latest Member
jacobss
What's New?

Are we born good, bad, or as a blank slate

Rider

Rider

TID Board Of Directors
Aug 27, 2010
Innocent, in my opinion. Most of us are influenced by those around us throughout different periods of our life.

Granted there’s a minority born lacking empathy/emotions but that’s a rarity. (Psychopaths)

tommyguns2

tommyguns2

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Dec 25, 2010
Good question. I don't really know. However, my kids had no problem smacking each other senseless and taking their toy when they were already holding another toy in their hand. And this was at about 18 months... LOL

K

KyleB

VIP Member
Sep 5, 2012
I feel like how you answer this says a lot of how you view the world.

I used to work with children and families. How you are raised has a lot to do with it. I would say 95% of children are a reflection of the parents involvement or lack of involvement in their lives. However there are some humans born that are 'just wired different'....but you can't really use the * on the masses.

Thrawn

Thrawn

MuscleHead
Jun 12, 2023
I struggled with this question for years because I can logically argue all 3 views. Philosophers and scientists have been all over the map on this question. Who defines what good and bad is? How do we quantity precisely the line between good and bad? Children are selfish is that bad? Their selfishness can turn to violence, defiance, and manipulation, to get what they want, so does that make selfishness bad or the act committed because they were selfish. I'm just throwing shit out there right now I think I need to find a hobby that takes up more of my time.

MR. BMJ

MR. BMJ

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Sep 21, 2011
Yea, this could get deep. I could probably change my opinion depending on the day too, lol.

Without putting much thought into it, i'd say there is a very small population who from birth, are just screwed on wrong. Ultimately, I think having good parents and a good upbringing (teachers and friends as well), is ultimately what will shape the mind of each kid from a very early age and continue with a good head on their shoulders as the get older. I would say, for the majority, it starts in childhood.

If there was one thing I agreed with that loser Obama on, was when he discussed how many African American kids are growing up without their fathers or a good male role-model in their lives. I think this applies with all cultures and races, but he really nailed this. When did he state that? Was it while he was running for his first term for presidency, or was it early on in his first term? It's sad that he didn't continue to hammer that to 'his people,' or all parents for that matter, because he totally abandoned that message as his presidency went on.

Thrawn

Thrawn

MuscleHead
Jun 12, 2023
I told myself I wasn't going to think anymore today... If good and bad are measured by social, moral, and legal standards. What percentage , combination, or weight determines good or bad? If I kill a child rapist the law says bad but social and moral may be good. Since laws, morals, and social standards change with time and even between countries is that a standard of measurement to use? If not what means of testing should be used? We teach kids hitting is bad(moral), then we teach kids you can hit to defend yourself(social), as adults in most of US it is hit as long as immediate danger or fear for life but the second immediate danger is over you must stop or else.(legal) now I'm babbling we hear people use moral or legal obligations but I've never heard social obligation unless we can lump humanitarian in with social. I'm leaving now

1bigun11

1bigun11

MuscleHead
Oct 23, 2010
The thing I find most fascinating about this debate (born good, bad, or blank slate) is that it almost presupposes that you are stuck with whatever you get.

If you were born bad, not much you can do about it. Blank slate? How you turn out depends on how you were treated by others and environmental factors beyond your control. Not much you can do about that, in fact, that’s the point of the “blank slate” theory.

No room for free choice. Even if you turn out “good” it’s not because you made good choices; you made good choices cause you were born good. Nothing to be proud of. You just did what you were preprogrammed to do.

Does free choice play a part at all?

Reactions: ceo
Thrawn

Thrawn

MuscleHead
Jun 12, 2023
The thing I find most fascinating about this debate (born good, bad, or blank slate) is that it almost presupposes that you are stuck with whatever you get.

If you were born bad, not much you can do about it. Blank slate? How you turn out depends on how you were treated by others and environmental factors beyond your control. Not much you can do about that, in fact, that’s the point of the “blank slate” theory.

No room for free choice. Even if you turn out “good” it’s not because you made good choices; you made good choices cause you were born good. Nothing to be proud of. You just did what you were preprogrammed to do.

Does free choice play a part at all?
I believe free choice is in play, as we grow up we have the ability to understand or at least reasonably think of the consequences or rewards of actions which is a learned behavior. I think we are born bad then taught how to act. The degree of accountability we were held to tends to follow us. crimes of passion or pure rage we loose the ability to think and resort back to primal brain then its oh fuck what did I do now I feel bad. What about feeling bad only because we were caught.

Yano

Yano

VIP Member
Sep 18, 2022
It's moments like this I stop and smile as I think back to my own childhood and reflect on the endearing timeless words of my dear sweet mother when she said ...

Jesus Christ !! What the Fuck is wrong with you !!??

Thrawn

Thrawn

MuscleHead
Jun 12, 2023
It's moments like this I stop and smile as I think back to my own childhood and reflect on the endearing timeless words of my dear sweet mother when she said ...

Jesus Christ !! What the Fuck is wrong with you !!??
I usually get that when I'm in social situations. I get unique alot but I know what they really mean.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic