Latest Member
RalfKelleh
What's New?

Are Plant Foods truly “Healthy”?

testboner

testboner

VIP Member
Oct 10, 2010
We’ve been so conditioned to believe that a “healthy” diet must contain plants.
There’s much more to consider however. Synthetic pesticides are one obvious concern, but lesser thought of is the fact that plants were originally (historically) consumed only seasonally, not year round. Today’s plants are also not original nature made — they’re hybrid manmade versions.
NOT IN ORIGINAL FORM.
Lesser known is the fact that plants have evolved to developing their own toxic insecticides that we ingest if/when we eat them.
For many, this may be an introduction to a new understanding of potential problems related to plants.

C

C T J

Crossfit VIP
Jan 24, 2013
"Today’s plants are also not original nature made — they’re hybrid manmade versions."

Are you saying that's a bad thing?

testboner

testboner

VIP Member
Oct 10, 2010
"Today’s plants are also not original nature made — they’re hybrid manmade versions."

Are you saying that's a bad thing?

Generally it’s not a good thing.
Produce is bred for a more appealing appearance, flavor, texture, and even longevity/shelf life. They’re genetically modified versions of the original — something nature never made.
We’ve been fooled as well as fool ourselves when we simply presume they’re natural and “healthy.”

Bigtex

Bigtex

VIP Member
Aug 14, 2012
Not something I have to worry about. Since I was a child I hated vegetables. I might occasionally eat some corn, a backed potato or a very few beans but that is it. Vegetables are rabbit food. I have never pretended to be natural or healthy. Eat meat, drink milk a few steroids and stay the hell out of the natural section in the grocery store.;)

midevil

midevil

TID Board Of Directors
Jan 20, 2011
Is that why the local farmers market veggies seem to not look as good but taste fabulous compared to supermarket produce?

BackAtIt

BackAtIt

MuscleHead
Oct 3, 2016
Generally it’s not a good thing.
Produce is bred for a more appealing appearance, flavor, texture, and even longevity/shelf life. They’re genetically modified versions of the original — something nature never made.
We’ve been fooled as well as fool ourselves when we simply presume they’re natural and “healthy.”

GMOs are a subject I haven't, yet studied...TB, do u have any solid links THAT u trust as a good source of info regarding GMOs?...

testboner

testboner

VIP Member
Oct 10, 2010
Is that why the local farmers market veggies seem to not look as good but taste fabulous compared to supermarket produce?

Cant say. Haven’t eaten plants (“some” fruit rarely) in more than 3 years. Likely taste better because it’s more fresh / ripe and hasn’t been frozen.

testboner

testboner

VIP Member
Oct 10, 2010
GMOs are a subject I haven't, yet studied...TB, do u have any solid links THAT u trust as a good source of info regarding GMOs?...

I have nothing in particular off hand. My knowledge it is a broad spectrum of sources on pro and con, and arriving at my own sensibility on the technology and effects on nutrition and otherwise.

69nites

69nites

VIP Member
Aug 17, 2011
Supermarket produce looks better because the distributors grade their produce by aesthetics and big supermarkets buy the best looking grade and throw away anything that doesn't look good.

Farmers market produce tastes better because it's actually fresh.

I do think the genetically modified argument against eating plants is hilarious. Do you think livestock isn't? Do you think what the livestock is eating isn't genetically modified?

Even the feed plots on and around my hunting property are planted with non endemic and genetically modified plants for feed.

Non GMO is fiction. You've never purchased and eaten anything that isn't genetically modified in your entire life.

testboner

testboner

VIP Member
Oct 10, 2010
Supermarket produce looks better because the distributors grade their produce by aesthetics and big supermarkets buy the best looking grade and throw away anything that doesn't look good.

Farmers market produce tastes better because it's actually fresh.

I do think the genetically modified argument against eating plants is hilarious. Do you think livestock isn't? Do you think what the livestock is eating isn't genetically modified?

Even the feed plots on and around my hunting property are planted with non endemic and genetically modified plants for feed.

Non GMO is fiction. You've never purchased and eaten anything that isn't genetically modified in your entire life.

Fortunately, cattle / ruminants have cleansing organs (liver, kidneys, etc) that convert what they eat into bioavailable nutrition for humans. There are a good many grass fed, grass finished cattle that aren’t grazing gmo feed of any sort.
Of course that meat costs a premium so personally I don’t get to eat it exclusively.
I’m grateful for their digestive systems and cleansing organs as a first round defense, and then my/our own cleansing organs as the final filtration.
Much better yet, and far more advantageous to our health than modified plants, on top of their (plants) accumulation of toxins without the ability to filter them as ruminants do before we consume them.

69nites

69nites

VIP Member
Aug 17, 2011
Fortunately, cattle / ruminants have cleansing organs (liver, kidneys, etc) that convert what they eat into bioavailable nutrition for humans. There are a good many grass fed, grass finished cattle that aren’t grazing gmo feed of any sort.
Of course that meat costs a premium so personally I don’t get to eat it exclusively.
I’m grateful for their digestive systems and cleansing organs as a first round defense, and then my/our own cleansing organs as the final filtration.
Much better yet, and far more advantageous to our health than modified plants, on top of their (plants) accumulation of toxins without the ability to filter them as ruminants do before we consume them.
Cattle are genetically modified organisms, and additionally, they eat genetically modified organisms.

In the near future, livestock is likely going to be primarily genetically engineered as opposed to the more natural methods of modification we've been doing since the dawn of agriculture millennia ago.

testboner

testboner

VIP Member
Oct 10, 2010
Cattle are genetically modified organisms, and additionally, they eat genetically modified organisms.

In the near future, livestock is likely going to be primarily genetically engineered as opposed to the more natural methods of modification we've been doing since the dawn of agriculture millennia ago.

Feedlot / factory finished, to some extent I wouldn’t deny. Yet nevertheless, detoxed a good bit by the time we consume them….. unlike plants.
This isn’t a thread claiming perfection of cattle — it’s about; first and foremost, plant toxicity….. a distant underlying inference is their lack of being nature-made.
By comparison — there’s little comparison.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic