Latest Member
pbtom
What's New?

Arab woman muscles into bodybuilding

mugzy

mugzy

TID Board Of Directors
Aug 11, 2010
Despite death threats and disapproval from her family, Jordanian takes part in Ontario competition.

Sticking to a strict diet, pumping iron for hours every day and finding sponsors is enough work for most competitive bodybuilders. But for Farah Malhass, these challenges are only part of the struggle to succeed in the sweat-drenched world of international fitness.

The 26-year-old from Jordan, billed as the first born-and-bred Middle Eastern woman to enter a global bodybuilding competition, has had to endure rejection by much of the sporting community in her homeland, the disapproval of her family and even death threats from conservative Jordanians who believe a woman doesn’t belong in such a sport.

Undeterred, she took part in her first international amateur competition Saturday in Mississauga and plans to move to Canada to keep training toward her goal of going pro as a “figure” bodybuilder – one who focuses on developing a well-toned body rather than adding bulk.

“I want to be good enough to show Arab women that you can follow your dreams,” she said.

bodybuilder_Fara_890543artw.jpg

Farah Malhass, born and raised in Jordan, competes in the 2010 World Bodybuilding and Fitness Federation World Championship, Diva Fitness model class, in Mississauga, Ont.

A member of a prominent Jordanian family – her grandfather once commanded the country’s air force – Ms. Malhass has been interested in bodybuilding since her teens, but didn’t get serious about it until she shed much of her body fat after a hernia operation. She determined to regain the weight as muscle.

Without the help of a trainer, Ms. Malhass put herself on a diet of egg yolks and boiled chicken breast, and started going to the gym twice a day. Last year, she quit her job with the United Nations, where she helped Iraqi refugees immigrate overseas, to focus full time on shaping up.

With no financial support from her well-heeled family and unable to find sponsors in Jordan, Ms. Malhass said she financed her endeavors herself, partly through savings from her job and partly by selling her car.

She’s also had to deal with threats on her life.

“You go and read the online comments, men say ‘she should have her head chopped off;’ they say I am the apocalypse, they say I am mentally ill and I need to see a doctor,” she said. “I’m sad that in this day and age, people still think like that.”

The unwanted attention has forced her to keep a low profile in Amman, spending most of her time at home or the gym.

Last week, Ms. Malhass made the 25-hour trek to Canada to take part in the World Bodybuilding and Fitness Federation’s World Championship. She failed to place, in a category of 70 women, but said the trip was worth it to make connections in the world of bodybuilding.

It also helped firm up plans for her future: she intends to move to Calgary to start training with Nathan Harewood, who has trained other prominent female bodybuilders. Within a year or two, she hopes to go pro.

“All the support I’ve had is from Canada,” she said. “[It’s nice] to get out and be surrounded by people who are going to support you, not bring you down.”

hugerobb

hugerobb

VIP Strength Advisor
Sep 15, 2010
damn good looking woman hope she achieves her goals

T

THE-DET-OAK

Sep 11, 2010
i think thats awesome, and good for her. she must be a very confident person to go through what she is, and still pursue what she loves. I wish her the best.

Mindlesswork

Mindlesswork

Crusty Poo Butt
Sep 21, 2010
The bbing world sure can use more females, that's for sure.

jdjack

jdjack

MuscleHead
Sep 22, 2010
I hope she does well. Her diet alone is hardcore.

Get Some

Get Some

MuscleHead
Sep 9, 2010
It might just be me....but I'm kinda diggin the hair, haha

pux888

pux888

MuscleHead
Oct 1, 2010
She's definitely got sex appeal! I know two sisters from Jordan and their both smoking hot.

cyto33

cyto33

MuscleHead
Sep 15, 2010
seen this before but have not heard anymore about it. woner if they caught up to her and well end her dream.

D

deadweight

MuscleHead
Sep 20, 2010
i allways wantted to bang a arab bitch....dw

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic