Members
Latest Member
lk has no balls

Apple & US Government's new toy to control your iPhone

hoodlum

hoodlum

MuscleHead
Jan 3, 2012
The other month I was chatting with someone about the use and implications of IMSI catchers (will explain these properly in detail once there is more time as I find them fascinating) and they showed me a fairly recent US patent which has been approved for Apple that I found pretty interesting, its obviously the next government tool that steps all over our rights and privacy so I thought I would do a quick write up of it here.

I will note that this doesn't just apply to iPhones and can just as easily apply to ANY other phone as well (or wireless device for that matter). Now this is US Patent 8254902 which is titled "Apparatus and methods for enforcement of policies upon a wireless device" and the containing information details exactly that. The patent approves a device to be used by (a) government or (b) any private business. This may be the scariest thing as if this technology was deployed on a wide scale such as indicated in the examples then practically anyone will be able to get their hands on it and completely control our devices.

The patent states that "various aspects of device functionality may be enabled or restricted" and later gives examples of "disable noise and/or light emanating", "preventing wireless devices from communicating", "forcing certain electronic devices to enter “sleep mode”", ability to disable "a cellular phone camera" and do sum up their intentions with it as a "need of providing an apparatus and methods of automatically disabling, replacing, or modifying the functionality of a wireless device" which shows the full spectrum of the patent really means; control over anything your phone can do.

You know, I'm almost inclined to believe this remote device to control our phones is for our own good... they say in the patient that "A person's sleep can even be interrupted by a bright flashing or modulating display (such as to indicate an incoming call)" when they are reasoning for the ability to remotelly shut off incoming calls... It's good to know the government is intending to shut off our phones so they don't wake us up...

They also state that "the wireless transmission of sensitive information to a remote source is one example of a threat to security" meaning basically... umm... using your phone is a threat to security? And they go on to actually give the example of sensitive information as "answers to an examination administered in an academic setting" so we can determine absolutely anything can be seemed 'sensitive information' and give the beholder the right to control our phone as they see fit. Although there are plenty of fake situations most people would seem 'harmless' like allowing movie cinema's to disable incoming calls its real purpose is hidden amongst trivial examples where it states that "Covert police or government operations may require complete “blackout” conditions". Yes, that's right... not only can police now disable or stop calls in a selected area (which would legitimately be used in a riot) but the bigger implication here is that they can disable video/sound recording of events. It's one thing to say violent protestors are calling others to back them up or organise something but its completely another to disable their ability to record police actions. Everyone carrying around a video camera is one of the very few things which forces the police to keep to upkeep the law.

I'm just pretty appauled that this patent is giving the government, apple and whoever else gets their hands on it complete control over our phones. Its not limited to enabling/disabling hardware and can be used to read your contacts, messages, pictures, etc - all without your consent or knowledge. Complete control over your phone, its here in black and white.

Google Link (easier to read) - http://www.google.com/patents/US8254902
US Patent 8678182 - http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-...&f=G&l=50&d=PALL&RefSrch=yes&Query=PN/8676182

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
This stuff turns my stomach. I have been looking into rooting my android and reg tells me that my particular model is wide open to spying.

And just yesterday I think it was there was new info put out from Snowden showing that (as expected) the majority of info captured by NSA is not from anyone suspected of a crime or terrorism but just ordinary Americans.

Why they feel entitled to this info is just baffling. This whole concept of preventing crime is such bullshit. Crime can't be prevented without stomping on the bill of rights. Unless you are a mind reader of course.

SJA

SJA

MuscleHead
Feb 24, 2011
I watched "terms and Conditions may apply" the other night and that made me want to go live in the hills!!

Turbolag

Turbolag

TID's Official Donut Tester
Oct 14, 2012
This stuff turns my stomach. I have been looking into rooting my android and reg tells me that my particular model is wide open to spying.

And just yesterday I think it was there was new info put out from Snowden showing that (as expected) the majority of info captured by NSA is not from anyone suspected of a crime or terrorism but just ordinary Americans.

Why they feel entitled to this info is just baffling. This whole concept of preventing crime is such bullshit. Crime can't be prevented without stomping on the bill of rights. Unless you are a mind reader of course.

Honestly man, this doesn't bother me at all. If you don't have anything to hide it shouldn't be a big deal right?

I guess that's how I would look at it.

I'm pretty boring so they probably would take a pass on my phone.

I'm sure I'll get some flack for that, but that's just my opinion.

Last edited:
IronCore

IronCore

Bigger Than MAYO - VIP
Sep 9, 2010
If I lived in my mothers basement it wouldn't bother me either... but I don't... so this pisses me off!... not like I didn't expect it though.

D

Docd187123

MuscleHead
Dec 2, 2013
Honestly man, this doesn't bother me at all. If you don't have anything to hide it shouldn't be a big deal right?

Youre missing the point completely. And don't think they'll pass over you just bc you're boring; they'll be spying through your stuff just like every other person. Whether you have anything to hide or not is irrelevant as it's still an invasion of privacy.

RAIDEN

RAIDEN

VIP Member
Feb 22, 2012

its usually the boring ones that are watched most.

WAKE THE FUKK UP TURBO!!!!

Im gonna go to your house and snoop through your drawers, closets, desk, toy collection, and anywhere else... i mean you have nothing to hide so whats the problem right?

Turbolag

Turbolag

Oct 14, 2012
its usually the boring ones that are watched most.

WAKE THE FUKK UP TURBO!!!!

Im gonna go to your house and snoop through your drawers, closets, desk, toy collection, and anywhere else... i mean you have nothing to hide so whats the problem right?

If you go to the gym and spot me I don't mind.

I understand what you guys mean though. But, there's nothing you can really do about it, unless you remove all mobile devices.

Turbolag

Turbolag

Oct 14, 2012
Youre missing the point completely. And don't think they'll pass over you just bc you're boring; they'll be spying through your stuff just like every other person. Whether you have anything to hide or not is irrelevant as it's still an invasion of privacy.

I definitely know what you mean.

If you had business matters, etc, that would definitely be different.

Rampage

Rampage

MuscleHead
Oct 26, 2011
Is there not any way to stop this?
Facebook is doing the same stuff I heard with peoples privacy… :Middle-finger-emoti **** em all!!

IronSoul

IronSoul

TID Board Of Directors
Apr 2, 2013
How the hell do we 'Real Americans' stop this shit. I fukking love America but I hate what our government has turned it into. Makes me wanna wanna live in the mountains off the land somewhere. As long as I have weights of course. It scares the hell out of me to think about the world my daughter is going to grow up in and it breaks my heart.

Another thing to add. For all of us combat vets. How do we put everything on the line and risk it all for our country and then need protection from our own country's government that we fought for? This shit makes me absolutely sick

Turbolag

Turbolag

Oct 14, 2012
IS I was thinking about how to stop it and it seems like if you could have somewhere around 5,000 people or so stand outside the White House and make some noise and state your demands you would get attention.

They can't arrest 5,000 people.

Strength in numbers.

Just a thought.

Kind of like the motorcycle riders that rode to Mexico to try and free the soldier that was being held prisoner.

Does anyone have an update on that?

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic