Latest posts

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest Member
pbtom
What's New?

Appendicitis - Just when everything seems to be going well, life has a way to remind.

A

Anabolic Beast

VIP Member
Nov 16, 2010
I had to have emergency surgery last Thursday to remove my appendix. Thank god it had not burst, but it was swollen and infected and the doctor said it wouldn't have lasted much longer. I'm out of the hospital now and taking it easy for the next week or so. I noticed that one of the antibiotics they had me on comes with the warning that it can cause torn tendons. Just what someone who's had three shoulder surgeries to repair torn tendons needs to be taking, right??? I'm still a little dopey from my pain meds so I'm going to crawl back into my bed.

Mike_RN

Mike_RN

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Aug 13, 2013
The antibiotics weaken connective tissue. Just don't TRAIN while you are on them and wait a week or so after last dose to be safe. Was it open or Laparoscopic? If it was open (single large incision) you'll need the off time to let your abdominal wall heal. If it was Lap, (3-5 x 1" incisions) you'll be back sooner but GO EASY as connective tissues are weakened by the abx.

BovaJP

BovaJP

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Feb 15, 2013
oh my goodness AB, sorry to hear, but hey at least it did not explode as well. Sounds like it was caught at the right time, albeit inconvenient.
Rest up my friend....and take it easy.
I had mine taken out when i was like 10 yrs old, it almost burst as well, but it did not.
Just take it easy when training on dem antibiotics : )

Take care!

A

Anabolic Beast

VIP Member
Nov 16, 2010
The antibiotics weaken connective tissue. Just don't TRAIN while you are on them and wait a week or so after last dose to be safe. Was it open or Laparoscopic? If it was open (single large incision) you'll need the off time to let your abdominal wall heal. If it was Lap, (3-5 x 1" incisions) you'll be back sooner but GO EASY as connective tissues are weakened by the abx.

It was Laparoscopic surgery. I'll now have three new scars on my lower abdomen, one of which is in my belly button. I'm thinking about just taking this month off from training and starting back in December. I really don't want to risk tearing another tendon.

A

Anabolic Beast

VIP Member
Nov 16, 2010
Whatever you do, don't stop the antibiotic. I had my appendix out when I was 15 or 16. The wound got infected. I was in hospital two weeks and have a nasty scar.

I heeded your advice about staying on the antibiotics. Only a couple of days left to take them now.

trentracks

trentracks

TID Board Of Directors
Apr 23, 2011
Geez always something, get better buddy

JackD

JackD

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Sep 16, 2010
That sucks! Sorry to hear! Go rest up and get better!

CFM

CFM

National Breast Implant Awareness Month Squeezer
Mar 18, 2012
Research restoring gut bacteria post antibiotics.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic