Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest Member
Ethan7400
What's New?

Anyone Watching the Derek Chauvin Trial?

hawkeye

hawkeye

VIP Member
Sep 19, 2011
This new shooting in the suburbs of Minneapolis is.....uh not good. Yikes. I feel bad for the officer as I'm 100% sure it was not intentional, but regardless, there is negligence and culpability for her actions. I watched the bodycam footage released and she clearly yells, "Taser, taser, taser." Afterwards, you hear her say "Oh shit I shot him." Made me cringe. I wonder how much of this will affect the Chauvin jurors.

While I agree that the use of force was not what it should have been, arguments that compliance would have avoided this, and also the argument the warrant the suspect was wanted for was a weapons violation, I just don't think that defense will hold water when this goes to court.

What I will say, is officers are seeing a spike in resistance to arrest and being shot at more and more. This has caused hypervigilance and I'm sure in some cases fear and paranoia. I'm thoroughly convinced our country has gone crazy. We had an state trooper shot and killed over the weekend in my state. Knoxville had a student killed and an officer shot and injured in a school shooting in Tennessee. New Mexico had a state police officer gunned down and assassinated by a drug dealer. The list goes on and on.

The public may be skiddish of interactions with LE, but I firmly believe officers are also just as skiddish.

SAD

SAD

TID Board Of Directors
Feb 3, 2011
Makes me sick to my stomach to watch that state trooper, polite as can be, get murdered by that POS. He got off too easy by getting shot to death down the road.

THAT is murder, for anyone who thinks Chauvin murdered Floyd. Chauvin made some ignorant decisions while an ignorant criminal died mostly* due to his own drug use, and should be found guilty of whatever you call that, but not murder.

hawkeye

hawkeye

VIP Member
Sep 19, 2011
Makes me sick to my stomach to watch that state trooper, polite as can be, get murdered by that POS. He got off too easy by getting shot to death down the road.

THAT is murder, for anyone who thinks Chauvin murdered Floyd. Chauvin made some ignorant decisions while an ignorant criminal died mostly* due to his own drug use, and should be found guilty of whatever you call that, but not murder.

I won't exonerate Chauvin of his liability completely, but I think they overcharged him and I cannot see him being guilty of premeditated murder. Negligence or failure to render aid. Maybe even involuntary manslaughter, but no way was his intent to purposely kill Floyd. That's my biggest issue with this whole trial. The intent is not there even though the prosecution sure is pining for it.

The state trooper in New Mexico made me want to puke. Multiple felon and known drug dealer. He not only shot the state trooper but according then stood over him and fired several more rounds. Just twisted. The level of violence in this day and age is just out of control, and they want to completely blame it on guns. The drug dealer legally should have had no opportunity to own any sort of weapon. Yet he did and used it to murder the state trooper.

I can recall years back, the NRA was really pushing hard for memberships. It was essentially an infomercial. They had some pretty compelling studies that showed countries where citizens were not allowed to own guns, the crime rates were often higher than in countries that had liberties of arming their citizens. Hell, just look at Chicago. People are still get shot and killed.

DungeonDweller

DungeonDweller

VIP Member
Mar 21, 2017
"Gun nut central" Plano, Texas has one of the lowest violent crime rates in the United States...

hawkeye

hawkeye

VIP Member
Sep 19, 2011
"Gun nut central" Plano, Texas has one of the lowest violent crime rates in the United States...

Exactly. Bad guys don't want to play when the playing field is even. Stats don't lie. IF I even enter a discussion regarding gun rights, I always preface I support "responsible" gun use and carry. There are always going to be that one person who is extreme or becomes the poster child why guns should be taken away. And the anti-gunners run with it.

69nites

69nites

VIP Member
Aug 17, 2011
I won't exonerate Chauvin of his liability completely, but I think they overcharged him and I cannot see him being guilty of premeditated murder. Negligence or failure to render aid. Maybe even involuntary manslaughter, but no way was his intent to purposely kill Floyd. That's my biggest issue with this whole trial. The intent is not there even though the prosecution sure is pining for it.
They do this to everyone that doesn't plead out. They know the likelyhood of getting anything beyond murder 3 is very low, but they throw the kitchen sink at you.

I'd be ready for the riots at this point. I don't think murder 3, which would be the involuntary manslaughter charge, is even a slam dunk at this point. I wouldn't be surprised to see a full acquittal after the prosecution rested.

I do have to say, if I were being charged with a crime in Minnesota, I'd be trying to get Eric Nelson to defend me. He's damn good.

hawkeye

hawkeye

VIP Member
Sep 19, 2011
They do this to everyone that doesn't plead out. They know the likelyhood of getting anything beyond murder 3 is very low, but they throw the kitchen sink at you.

I'd be ready for the riots at this point. I don't think murder 3, which would be the involuntary manslaughter charge, is even a slam dunk at this point. I wouldn't be surprised to see a full acquittal after the prosecution rested.

I do have to say, if I were being charged with a crime in Minnesota, I'd be trying to get Eric Nelson to defend me. He's damn good.

Agreed. Nelson has been sharp and very very good at redirecting witnesses. Big question now that the prosecution is wrapping up is if Chauvin will take the stand? It's kind of a Catch 22. If he doesn't it appears he is guilty. If he does, he risks being filleted by the prosecution. Going to be interesting.

As for prosecution, I think their was pressure to go all out and charge him with whatever they could. Problem is will the jury be convinced that it meets the elements of Murder 1. Involuntary manslaughter is more the likely charge I see sticking. I sense what you sense in that there will be riots and etc from the lesser charge potentially sticking.

It's amazing how media perpetuates their stories beyond the facts. You still hear reporters and others claiming his knee was on Floyd's neck. This has been debunked through video and still screen photos. I don't know if any of you caught the CNN reporter being told by a peaceful protestor to "GTFO of here" but he was exactly right. They are the ones causing the rioting and etc.

69nites

69nites

VIP Member
Aug 17, 2011
It's amazing how media perpetuates their stories beyond the facts. You still hear reporters and others claiming his knee was on Floyd's neck. This has been debunked through video and still screen photos. I don't know if any of you caught the CNN reporter being told by a peaceful protestor to "GTFO of here" but he was exactly right. They are the ones causing the rioting and etc.
The position is called knee on neck.

If you don't think it's a choke I encourage you to have someone do it to you weight forward as it was done and enjoy your nap around 5 minutes.

With my grappling partners the longest anyone has lasted was right around 6 min 30 seconds. I've seen things like crowder having someone do it to him but they have they were sat back on their heels. He wasn't getting 1/4 the pressure Floyd was. It's the equivalent of someone putting you in a triangle choke and not squeezing.

R

Restart

VIP Member
Jan 3, 2019
The most interesting part is that our southern border is wide open and at the rate we're at, we'll see 3 million new voters this year alone. Also, DC will be named as a state. Puerto Rico will be named as a state. HR1, federalizing elections and overriding states will make mail in ballots and dominion computer counting the norm. Think the last fraud was bad? Expanding the useless Supreme court to a politburo. Gun rights. Physical health rights. China will take Tiawan and Hong Kong, Russia will take Ukraine. Weak? We'd like to look weak.

hawkeye

hawkeye

VIP Member
Sep 19, 2011
The position is called knee on neck.

If you don't think it's a choke I encourage you to have someone do it to you weight forward as it was done and enjoy your nap around 5 minutes.

With my grappling partners the longest anyone has lasted was right around 6 min 30 seconds. I've seen things like crowder having someone do it to him but they have they were sat back on their heels. He wasn't getting 1/4 the pressure Floyd was. It's the equivalent of someone putting you in a triangle choke and not squeezing.

Then Chauvin is guilty because there is no such restraint or hold that is taught to restrict the airway in LE besides the lateral vascular neck restraint (which essentially a rear naked choke and many states do not teach this tactic. PPCT I believe does but not all states do. I've never heard of any LE training that would endorse knee on the neck. The question is was his knee on the neck. The defense argues his knee was on the shoulder blade not the neck. I am not going to argue that Floyd did not die of aphyxiation.
The question is was it due to the tactic used or was it due to other elements.

Watch the whole footage from the bodycams. He was saying he could not breath prior to being taken out of the squad car. He also is heard once on the ground he ate the drugs he apparently had purchased from the drug dealer. These at minimum could be contributing factors to his death. You have 3 times the lethal amount of fentanyl in your system, you're likely a dead man walking. Where Chauvin may have faltered was rendering aid for a possible overdose. That issue is going to be hard to defend.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic