Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest Member
Kiddorism
What's New?

Anyone do Lyle McDonald's generic bulking program?

SAD

SAD

TID Board Of Directors
Feb 3, 2011
Stumbled across this recently while looking for a good bulking program when I finish a cycle of 5x5. Just curious about your results if you have run it. Here's a link to the article.

Follow the PDF link near the bottom of the article to see an in depth Q&A about the routine.

MAYO

MAYO

Bad Mother
Sep 27, 2010
let me know what you think of it....i think i'm gonna try a "program" of some sort this fall for bulking.

D

deadweight

MuscleHead
Sep 20, 2010
Stumbled across this recently while looking for a good bulking program when I finish a cycle of 5x5. Just curious about your results if you have run it. Here's a link to the article.

Follow the PDF link near the bottom of the article to see an in depth Q&A about the routine.

any program u train with a rep range from 3 to 5 reps a set is the only way to really bulk...in my case...ive power train my whole life so most of my rep range is anywhere from 3 to 5 reps....Really is nothing but the basics to buling mass.So many diff routines out there and all the stuff is nothing but rewritten workouts except they swich something here or there and they call it something workout...u want mass..real thick hard mass.and not that paper thin muscle...stick with the basics...Make the barbell your girlfriend and love it.....dw

SAD

SAD

TID Board Of Directors
Feb 3, 2011
That's the thing that really intrigued me about Lyle Mcdonald's bulking routine, dw. It has three different set-ups for hypertrophy specific, hypertrophy-strength blend, and strength bulking. The workouts have the same exercises and frequency for each of the three, but it varies the sets, reps, and rest periods. This way I can choose which one I need for my particular needs at the time. So for those of us who cut once or twice a year, doing a strength training program is not very effective because the fuel isn't there in the form of calories, and thus recovery suffers and the CNS begins to shut down. Lyle's program allows for the same basic routine to be followed whether bulking, cutting, recomp, or just maintaining (who the fuck is happy staying the same? anyway). He says in the article that it is the middle ground between Bryan Haycock's HST and Daunte's DoggCrapp routine.

Still not sure that I'm going to run this specific program when I finish up my 5x5, but it is my top choice right now. I love the 5x5 while off-cycle and have made my biggest strength and mass gains running it. However, I don't feel like it offers much in the way of bodybuilding while on-cycle. I've done it, and just felt like I recovered way too fast and didn't directly hit certain bodyparts.

D

deadweight

MuscleHead
Sep 20, 2010
That's the thing that really intrigued me about Lyle Mcdonald's bulking routine, dw. It has three different set-ups for hypertrophy specific, hypertrophy-strength blend, and strength bulking. The workouts have the same exercises and frequency for each of the three, but it varies the sets, reps, and rest periods. This way I can choose which one I need for my particular needs at the time. So for those of us who cut once or twice a year, doing a strength training program is not very effective because the fuel isn't there in the form of calories, and thus recovery suffers and the CNS begins to shut down. Lyle's program allows for the same basic routine to be followed whether bulking, cutting, recomp, or just maintaining (who the fuck is happy staying the same? anyway). He says in the article that it is the middle ground between Bryan Haycock's HST and Daunte's DoggCrapp routine.

Still not sure that I'm going to run this specific program when I finish up my 5x5, but it is my top choice right now. I love the 5x5 while off-cycle and have made my biggest strength and mass gains running it. However, I don't feel like it offers much in the way of bodybuilding while on-cycle. I've done it, and just felt like I recovered way too fast and didn't directly hit certain bodyparts.[/QUOT

for me to build mass u have to focus on your main body parts ...main muscle groups rather then secoundary muscle groups...all your large muscle groups are your main ones.the smallers ones are just fillers....the sercert to builing mass is alot of recovery because u train much heaveir then on a more sutiable bb routine.just because you feel your body needs more training its not allways the case...rest and recovery = growth....most the time ona 5 rep routine your not going to feel that pump like u would doing 10 to 12 reps...your hitting more deeper fibers by training for mass...slow twich muscles which is thickness....real muscle that sticks around alot longer then your fast twich muscle u build from a bb routine...deep fiber muscle is the key too big muscle...thickness vs paper thin muscle...U can tell how has thickness and u can tell who has paper thin muslce...and i can tell u in the long run thickness in a muscle will last alot longer then papaer thin muscle...paper thin muslces fade quickly..it looks good for the time being but in the long run once they stop its fades quick...atleast when u build thick fiber it made to last a long time....its a proven fact bro.......just keep a mental picture in your mind about thick muscle ......forgt about the secoundary muscle groups u can alllways work on those small lagging groups when u feel like it....gain real mass first.thats where the hard work comes into play....learn to love the barbell......its yor best friend......dw

S

stevemc

Nov 19, 2011
Whats the last number mean its reps/set/?

moocow0463

moocow0463

Jan 11, 2012
i have to agree with DW here, the low rep scheme is the way to go for building mass, wether u do 5/3/1 5x5 or some other pyramid scheme or drop sets or whatever your going to build mass. you wont feel that PUMP you may not even feel the burn right away till you start getting stronger and adding more weight but strength comes first as then tendons adapt then the muscle builds to adapt to pushing more weight. i like programs like 5/3/1 or anything that starts off with a % of your rm and you work up to it this adds a progressive resistance your body never adapts fully and eliminates stalling. eat big lift heavy and rest!

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
SaD take another look at the sheiko program I tried... EliteFTS - Powerlifting and Strength Training Products and Knowledge for Lifters, Athletes, Coaches, and Trainers

One day at the end of week two I caught a glimpse of myself in the mirror and almost shit myself. I had no idea I could gain that much mass with a 2-5 rep range... I had guys I've known for a long time telling me I looked like I gained 40lbs... Can't wait to run it again and it has completely changed my approach to lifting.

EDIT: Sorry for the hijack bro, I have no opinion on the program you inquired about as I'm not familiar.

S

stevemc

Nov 19, 2011
So how would this be run on cycle just the same or add more reps?

Zomb131

Zomb131

MuscleHead
Jan 31, 2011
so it's just a routine? That's what makes you big, not your diet? Interesting. By the looks of the huge mofo on the page, i'd never try it.

E

Eup

Mar 13, 2015
I've tried many bulking and 5x5 and various low reps I believe it makes tendons and ligaments stronger but I don't believe it puts anymore size on than traditional 8-12 rep routine would. I think you need to change routines and reps up but this brings me to the point I know will piss people off but all or most power lifters would look like bodybuilders and that's not the case yes there are many big and I mean big powerlifters but none look like could compete in mr. O so that proves my point possibly maybe one or two I've never heard off, why aren't there more powerlifters in the top of the stage. If your purely for the aesthetics like me then 8-12 reps is ideal and occasional 5x5 and even 15-25 reps to increase strength but I don't believe that any form of power lifting is the holy grail for bodybuilders. Milo Sarcev said it before he saw a skinny guy lifting twice as much as the bodybuilder and from then on he knew the high intensity and higher reps creates larger muscles. Watch some of his training videos none of the guys he trains are powerlifting there doing a bodybuilding version of HIT. Little rest higher reps and pounding the muscle group. Just my observation after training 20 years.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic