Members
Latest Member
Ethan7400
What's New?

Anybody tried Spinal Decompression?

L

Lifter

Sep 15, 2010
Just looking to see if anyone has tried out sessions on the DRX9000? I have a herniated disc between L5-S1 and another buldging between L4-L5. The herniated one is kicking my butt with pain as it is putting pressure on my sciatic nerve.

I went through the Cortizone shots but they really didnt do anything for me. Just some temporary relief.

After discussing things with my doctor surgery was the only option that there is. Im not really ready for someone to be in my back and possibly screw me up for life. My family doesnt have a good track record with surgeries... My father was paralyzed and my older sister now has RSD.

I have also talked to several people that have had surgery and it sure seems like most are still having issues or ready to schedule another surgery. I talked to another guy and he pointed me to the spinal decompression stuff. He had surgery first, 1 1/2 years later his back was messed up again and he was ready for surgery. Instead he decided to try the spinal decompression route and said he wished he would have gone that way from the beginning.

I had some meetings with the chiropractor in our area that has the DRX9000. He said my back is really messed up and surprised I am not having more pain. The good news is that I qualified for treatment on the machine.

I am 99% sure I am going to go through with it just was wondering if anyone had any opinions since it is expensive and not covered by insurance. $4500 expensive.

Lizard King

Lizard King

Administrator
Staff Member
Sep 9, 2010
I've done ultrasound, electric, pressure, manipulation and inversion, all help a little, never tried the above.

Wedge pillow at night has really helped me out,keeps everything straight while sleeping. I have 2 bulging L4&L5, ice daily.

18gauge

Feb 3, 2012
Do you have leg pain or back pain? Surgery is actually a great option if your pain shoots down your leg, but if you're having back pain I wouldn't reccomend it. Decompression is one of those things where some people swear by it and others say its garbage. What ever you decide, good luck

SJA

SJA

MuscleHead
Feb 24, 2011
I have tried decompression. But rather than paying the money, try this first.

1) Lie on your back with your feet on the couch or chair (I know.....your Mother always said to keep your feet off the couch but this it THERAPY!!!!)
2) Slide your butt up to the couch so that your legs are 90 degrees
3) Hook your thumbs into your belt or grab a handful of your pockets and using the heel of your hands, push against your hips so that you are pushing you hips toward the couch
4) This is the hard part and takes practice......RELAX your upper body while maintaining pressure with your hands. Think about your spine decompressing
5) Hold this for 15 seconds and let it go......then do it again. You will feel the stretch all the way to your neck if you relax properly.

I developed this after my knees and ankles started hurting from the inversion table. The DRX9000 is great....but it isn't always available to you 24 hours a day and it costs money. Try this "do it yourself" version for a while and see how you feel. I think that anyone lifting weights should be stretching religiously every day (especially us old guys). It makes a world of difference.

daron_e

daron_e

Mar 13, 2012
I got an inversion table for my herniated disk and it is a miracle. No joke. I use it every day (2xper day) for about 2 minutes and it has worked wonder for me. And this is after back surgery years ago that did not fix the problem. And I got mine on Amazon for like 100 bucks. Hope this helps.

phillygurl1

phillygurl1

TID Lady Member
Mar 28, 2012
I had a lumbar fusion with decompression on my L4/L5 in September 2011. I have the lovely hardware in my back. I am hear to tell you that the Doctor told me I would NEVER squat again and I would NEVER ever be in a bodybuilding competition again. I had some complications unrelated to my spine and was in the hospital for 14 days. Once I was out, I began jogging in 1/2 miles increments. Two and half weeks after hospitalization I was jogging 3 miles with the corsett (PT gave to me). I am currently training for a bodybuilding competition in November and I am squatting my happy butt away! As long as you don't let the surgery get you down and take the proactive approach you will be fine (just missing the gym for a few weeks) :) Good Luck to you

rsued

rsued

TID Lady Member
Mar 18, 2012
Just looking to see if anyone has tried out sessions on the DRX9000? I have a herniated disc between L5-S1 and another buldging between L4-L5. The herniated one is kicking my butt with pain as it is putting pressure on my sciatic nerve.

I went through the Cortizone shots but they really didnt do anything for me. Just some temporary relief.

After discussing things with my doctor surgery was the only option that there is. Im not really ready for someone to be in my back and possibly screw me up for life. My family doesnt have a good track record with surgeries... My father was paralyzed and my older sister now has RSD.

I have also talked to several people that have had surgery and it sure seems like most are still having issues or ready to schedule another surgery. I talked to another guy and he pointed me to the spinal decompression stuff. He had surgery first, 1 1/2 years later his back was messed up again and he was ready for surgery. Instead he decided to try the spinal decompression route and said he wished he would have gone that way from the beginning.

I had some meetings with the chiropractor in our area that has the DRX9000. He said my back is really messed up and surprised I am not having more pain. The good news is that I qualified for treatment on the machine.

I am 99% sure I am going to go through with it just was wondering if anyone had any opinions since it is expensive and not covered by insurance. $4500 expensive.

I actually have the same thing and been struggling with it for years. It took a few rounds of injections before they actually helped. I wanted to avoid surgery since I have seen so many bad results. I am sure it works for some people but I don't want to take the gamble. Dropping weight helped me significantly. I still lose feeling in my feet from time to time but I think I finally have it under control and not feeling that constant pain.
I feel your pain! It really is hard to deal with

alexschool

alexschool

Sep 12, 2010
I have seen the new machines for this but have not tried it. I do use an inversion table regularly and it helps a lot.

S

Stuwal

Sep 16, 2012
Hi, google guy voyer, he is a French osteopath (working in the US and Canada) who has devised a myofacial stretching system which decompresses individual spinal joints, known as Eldoa (Elongational longitudinaux avec dècoaption ostèoarticulatre) or Loads in english ( longitudinal Osteo-articular de-coapration Stretching). There are stretches for both L5-S1 and L4-L5, also search YouTube there are some videos, or find someone in your area that is ELDOA trained.
Hope this helps

el griff

el griff

VIP Member
May 11, 2013
Hi, google guy voyer, he is a French osteopath (working in the US and Canada) who has devised a myofacial stretching system which decompresses individual spinal joints, known as Eldoa (Elongational longitudinaux avec dècoaption ostèoarticulatre) or Loads in english ( longitudinal Osteo-articular de-coapration Stretching). There are stretches for both L5-S1 and L4-L5, also search YouTube there are some videos, or find someone in your area that is ELDOA trained.
Hope this helps
thanks a lot man !

dr jim

dr jim

MuscleHead
Apr 7, 2014
LIFTER what is your current situation from a therapeutic perspective. If you like post back and I can provide you with some very revealing BUT FACTUAL statistics and possibly shed some light on YOUR situation. Obviously I'll need a bit more info for the later but ...............

Oh one FACTUAL POINT surgery is considered the ONLY OPTION when the patient; 1) has lost bowel or bladder control 2) is unable to walk because of MOTOR WEAKNESS rather than PAIN.

JIM

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

The Veganator
Dec 23, 2012
Hope this helps
Sounds interesting, thanks for the info MF.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic