Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest Member
pbtom
What's New?

Anybody ever pinch nerves in their neck?

Body_Builder

Body_Builder

MuscleHead
Oct 18, 2010
I got it bad a few years ago. I woke up looking like egor and went to the doctor that day as I couldn't move. The doctor said it's the worst case he has seen but he ended up prescribing me valium and that took care of it.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
I injured my traps about mid way down my back a couple months ago on military press but it was my own damn fault... My insurance covers 15 chiro visits per year so I took advantage.

After shoulder days, rack pulls, deadlifts, shrugs or anything that really hits the traps I would be unable to turn my head to the right for the entire period I was experiencing DOMS...

I think the chiro has the advantage over the massage therapist in this situation because they can deal with calming the muscle AND re-aligning the spine and affected joints. Watch for crepitus (sp?) in the shoulders too.

Rottenrogue

Rottenrogue

Strongwoman
Jan 26, 2011
I dont have anything to add as far as advice.Everyone here has said it all.i would say I would favor massage and even ice massage the area .My pt fills a dixie cup with water and uses that for the ice massage. I would go back to the gym and rip the idiot a new one .

jdjack

jdjack

MuscleHead
Sep 22, 2010
Ice is GREAT ... IF used for more than 15-20 minutes, and even better if used for 30 as it induces vaso-dilation and increases blod flow, and healing rates. I'd advise to moist heating (30-45min), light stretching (to pain tolerance), and the then Icing for 30 minutes. Put a towel around the ice bag or you can give yourself frostbite and that won't do you any good.

L

Lil Canada

May 10, 2011
Ice is GREAT ... IF used for more than 15-20 minutes, and even better if used for 30 as it induces vaso-dilation and increases blod flow, and healing rates. I'd advise to moist heating (30-45min), light stretching (to pain tolerance), and the then Icing for 30 minutes. Put a towel around the ice bag or you can give yourself frostbite and that won't do you any good.

I made that mistake once. Ice left a light burn on me. Seem to learn some things the hard way.

Ramrod

Ramrod

MuscleHead
Jun 5, 2012
Just had this happen yesterday... Not fun at all. But I was doing Incline BB Press on a low incline. Taking Med's and have iced and heated it. Seems to be helping.

Grumpyfit

Grumpyfit

MuscleHead
Jun 7, 2012
These boards would've been good to have a few years ago. Watch out for arthritis to set in. It can bother you for awhile.

macgyver

macgyver

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 24, 2011
Just saw this thread pop up and did not see anyone mention a TENS unit. (Electro stim).

I used to get pinched nerves in my neck all the time....mostly stress related. They are so bad that I can rotate my head more then 5deg or I get very strong piercing pain.

My friend is a chiro. That worked wonders, but he sent me home with a TENS unit for when I get them occasionally. It works wonders to relax the muscles. I run 2-10 min cycles at night and then it is generally about 50-75% better when I wake up. I will do it again, and it will all but eliminate it. MUCH quicker then just resting it.

You can find them on ebay for about 40-50$. Just search TENS unit.

Ramrod

Ramrod

MuscleHead
Jun 5, 2012
Just saw this thread pop up and did not see anyone mention a TENS unit. (Electro stim).

I used to get pinched nerves in my neck all the time....mostly stress related. They are so bad that I can rotate my head more then 5deg or I get very strong piercing pain.

My friend is a chiro. That worked wonders, but he sent me home with a TENS unit for when I get them occasionally. It works wonders to relax the muscles. I run 2-10 min cycles at night and then it is generally about 50-75% better when I wake up. I will do it again, and it will all but eliminate it. MUCH quicker then just resting it.

You can find them on ebay for about 40-50$. Just search TENS unit.

Thanks, I think I know someone with one.. I'm going to give them a call. Thanks for the idea.

ItalianMuscle

ItalianMuscle

Drama Queen senior Vip
Sep 1, 2010
All the years I thought I kept getting a pinched nerve in my neck, it actually was my laveta scappula muscle that I kept tweaking. Fucking painful. You cant rotate your head, and the pain actually went down past my trap into my back. Going to the chiropractor is the only way I can get rid of it. I actually tweak it more when I sleep on it worng then I do when I work out. I went out and bought this $100 orthopedic pillow, recommended by my chiropractor, and Ive been doing great ever since. Massage does help too. I went and did that right after it happened too. I think the combo of doing both helps out tremendously..

F

Fury

MuscleHead
Jun 6, 2012
Yea I have had a pinched nerve and it's painfull.did it wrestling with my three boys.the worst part is you walking around like a robot.physio a few times cleared the problem up for me.

C

charleslchristian

Jun 8, 2012
all good information on the treatment

only thing I would recommend is if a chiropractor is used ensure that they perform never stimulation analysis and use a decompression method of the massage

nerve stimulation uses small electric needles on specific spot and measure the signal rate through the nerve (this will test for nerve damage)

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic