Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest Member
Kiddorism
What's New?

Anybody else do a lot of family genealogy?

Warhead14

Warhead14

TID Board Of Directors
Jul 23, 2011
I would love to do a DNA test and see what came up. But they all ship your DNA into the big data bank, hard pass. All the dummies say shit like, if you have nothing to worry about then what's the big deal, totally missing the point. Its about the character of the system, and I DO NOT trust it, AT ALL.

T

Trip

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2022
nope, kinda lucky knew my grandparents, and one set of great grandparents well, so know bit of history

plus, like 15 years ago some distant relatve, wrote a book history of our name and usa, was like 50 pages, interesting, not too interested though

and that's it for me

woodswise

woodswise

TID Board Of Directors
Apr 29, 2012
My family tree is well documented on both sides. I am what they call a swamp yankee. I.e. I am descended from Mayflower (Brewster, Hopkins and Eaton), I have at least 10 revoluntionary veterans in my family and an unknown number of tories, my lines are as good as any Boston Brahman, but my kin are the poor farmers, loggers and other back woods swamp rats, who ranged from Nova Scotia to Mobile Alabama. I have ancestors who traded with the indians before Davey Crokett. I have Dutch roots that go back to the earliest Europeans in New York and New Jersey. I am supposed to be cousin to Abe Lincoln, one vice president whose last name was Hendrix, Aaron Burr. Finally, I have at least one part of my family that claims to have a native American ancestor.

We have family trees for at least four of my family lines that trace back to the early 1600's in America. I do not know of any ancestors who came here after the 1600's. If we trace some of my Irish great grandmothers, I am betting those families came in the 1800's, but that is still unknown.

I have family photos of most everyone in my family back to 1900, and quite a few back to the civil war.

We have at least two believable oral histories from the 1750's. There are a number of other stories written down and passed down.

MR. BMJ

MR. BMJ

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Sep 21, 2011
My family tree is well documented on both sides. I am what they call a swamp yankee. I.e. I am descended from Mayflower (Brewster, Hopkins and Eaton), I have at least 10 revoluntionary veterans in my family and an unknown number of tories, my lines are as good as any Boston Brahman, but my kin are the poor farmers, loggers and other back woods swamp rats, who ranged from Nova Scotia to Mobile Alabama. I have ancestors who traded with the indians before Davey Crokett. I have Dutch roots that go back to the earliest Europeans in New York and New Jersey. I am supposed to be cousin to Abe Lincoln, one vice president whose last name was Hendrix, Aaron Burr. Finally, I have at least one part of my family that claims to have a native American ancestor.

We have family trees for at least four of my family lines that trace back to the early 1600's in America. I do not know of any ancestors who came here after the 1600's. If we trace some of my Irish great grandmothers, I am betting those families came in the 1800's, but that is still unknown.

I have family photos of most everyone in my family back to 1900, and quite a few back to the civil war.

We have at least two believable oral histories from the 1750's. There are a number of other stories written down and passed down.
That is outstanding!

69nites

69nites

VIP Member
Aug 17, 2011

The exact kind of person that really doesn't want to get involved in this kind of testing to find all the products of infidelity.

Kluso

Kluso

VIP Member
Oct 30, 2022
Honestly brother, I wish I DID have some idea who my parents were/are and if I have any siblings, I watch movies sometimes and wonder what it would have been like to have a real and steady family.
The Waltons type of thing looks awesome,,, hahah but WTF wasn't for me I guess.
I think we all think about that, lol. Even those of us that grew up with both parents. Isn’t always the Waltons though so for all you know your mom did you a favor. I may have wished to have been dropped off at the fire station a few times growing up. Always could have been worse though.

M

Massive G

VIP Member
Apr 10, 2020
I did that 23 and me bs a few years back.

But seriously I remember my great grandmother had the family history traced in the late 1960s that went back to the 1800s.

It cost 35000. Supposedly she was directly related to Jefferson Davis....and also a revolutionary war general.

My grandfather had a linkage to a castle in Scotland but couldn't pay the taxes on it so it went back to the state. Longer they went back the more countries they found prior to England relatives were German and Scotland.

We even had some Cherokee in there.
Honestly I think the longer you could go back the more famous or notable people in the past you are related too.
I love history so it gives me happiness to cruise back in time.

Torchy

Torchy

VIP Member
Feb 3, 2023
My mom did one. We weren't speaking at the time (longer story than this post,) but man she found some shit out.

I guess the story is that my cousin, 2nd cousin however that works, asked her to do some ancestry one because things were always off feeling for her.

They did it and come to find out there was some fkd up drama in our family. Everyone knew all along that my grandma had her first child with a Russian immigrant that she adored, but being in a second generation Irish family? She got kicked out with her bastard son until they found some man locally that would marry her and take in the son as his own. She pushed out like 9 more children with him. Guess he was an abusive drunk. But, 20yrs later she finds the same Russian and had my mom.

The DNA stuff comes back and these Irish keep their cards close to their chest for 80+ years and now they're all dead. Come to find out my cousin is actually a half-sister to my mom.

Apparently, my mom's half-sister had some sort of affair with the old Russian and became pregnant with her first child. Another cover up happened, some guy married her and they had another daughter.

It's all messed up.

69nites

69nites

VIP Member
Aug 17, 2011
Imagine being one of these people who have family trees back to the 1600s only to take the test and find out their daddy ain't their father.

woodswise

woodswise

TID Board Of Directors
Apr 29, 2012
That is outstanding!
I'm lucky that my family has been tracing and documenting its roots for at least 100 years. I was in my early 20's when I started to collect all the stories, photographs, letters and photographs, while my grandparents were alive and had clear memories and told the family stories for hours on end. I lived with my grandmother during college and she told me stories of her upbringing and family daily. Some of the things she and they experienced are now part of the nations important history. Someday I'll write it all down for my nieces....

woodswise

woodswise

TID Board Of Directors
Apr 29, 2012
Imagine being one of these people who have family trees back to the 1600s only to take the test and find out their daddy ain't their father.
That would be hilarious.... or tragic. Depending on how you took it.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic