Latest posts

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest Member
lk has no balls
What's New?

Anybody else do a lot of family genealogy?

Kluso

Kluso

VIP Member
Oct 30, 2022
It’s weird how much I like history now that I’m older. I remember hating it in school. But I love shows on the discovery Chanel and Nat Geo and shows like that now. So interesting now. Why is that? I wonder. I think I mentioned this already but my mom has a lot of geneology done. Has tons of pictures with dates and names for us to pass on. Me and my one brother are the only ones with kids so not sure who will get it all when she goes. My daughter is 18 and my brothers son is only 1. But my daughter could care less right now about that stuff but hopefully will change like I did. I would feel bad if all that work got lost and not passed on to future generations. I need to make sure that doesn’t happen. Make the time.

MR. BMJ

MR. BMJ

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Sep 21, 2011
I believe it's a mix of different reasons, one being maturity. However, I think some of it is seeing your current generation slide by to the newer ones, and trying to hold on to it, and cherish it. Like a sense of pride, especially when you have kids because you want them to learn and understand how things were when you were younger, or how your own generation functioned. Newer generations tend to not care much about the prior ones...until they get older. I think in the process of all that, you start looking at your parents, grandparents, etc., generations are get a better respect for them, and return you start wanting to learn more about them. Likewise, you start just getting more interested with history in general going to all periods. It's like you get a new perspective and respect for the history before you.

There are many other reasons probably too, but I kind of got that way from the above. Also I liked watching mystery shows on history. I liked those shows (he has books as well) from people like Brad Meltzer, who went into some of the conspiracy theories....as well as other shows. Whether they are right or wrong, they are fun to watch, and the history of it piqued my interest. I had to have fun reasons to 'go back' rather than 'think forward.' I actually like learning about history more than trying to decipher the future.

If you have members in your family with that have some history behind them, I think it's also a gateway to learning more from those periods. It can be simple stuff like Civil War ancestors, WWI and WW2 ancestors etc. etc. That's why I get addicted to genealogy...mostly....that, and just wanting to see how they looked.

MorganKane

MorganKane

VIP Member
Nov 12, 2012
Never really thought much about "where im from".
Growing up with Norwegian and Icelandic parents in Norway/Iceland it wasnt something that even crossed my mind.
I know my family on both sides has been tracked back to 1600 something I think.
My uncle has been doing a bunch of the research but I dont really care so much.
Never done the 21andme or whatever it is, Im sure its plenty of different stuff in my DNA, the Vikings took slaves and fucked them.
I dont want my DNA to be a database. not sure if its really matter with enormous social media foot print we all leave behind.

Kluso

Kluso

VIP Member
Oct 30, 2022
Never really thought much about "where im from".
Growing up with Norwegian and Icelandic parents in Norway/Iceland it wasnt something that even crossed my mind.
I know my family on both sides has been tracked back to 1600 something I think.
My uncle has been doing a bunch of the research but I dont really care so much.
Never done the 21andme or whatever it is, Im sure its plenty of different stuff in my DNA, the Vikings took slaves and fucked them.
I dont want my DNA to be a database. not sure if its really matter with enormous social media foot print we all leave behind.
Yeah, the only thing I don’t like about it is insurance companies could use it to deny benefits eventually, if not already. But I think I heard that 23&me doesn’t do the whole panel or whatever it’s called. Anymore, at least. I don’t think they do all the chromosomes anymore. But did when I did it. Just the ones that pertain to ethnicity now. Anyone know if that’s true? I mean if they could leave out the parts that show predispositions to disease and other personal areas that might make more people open to the idea.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic