Latest Member
RalfKelleh
What's New?

Any OTC supplements make you stronger and add muscle

Turbolag

Turbolag

TID's Official Donut Tester
Oct 14, 2012
I know this is a very researched topic. I've read up on some of them. But I was wondering if anyone has had any success with them? Do any of the. Actually work?

My supplement stack is this. Whey protein, and creatine. Post workout

Usually after jiu jitsu class and after boxing class I would drink Gatorade mixed with BCAAs. I read they are supposed to be good for recovery. But a lot of experts say amino acids and BCAA are a waste of money.

If I understand correctly, doesn't the protein we consume break down into amino acids? Aren't amino acids what makes muscles grow? If so, howcome we can't just take large amounts of BCAA and amino acids?

That's the first part. Next part. Any other supplements that help with strength? Like Leukic? Gakic?

Any other ones I missed?

Has anyone tried Hica-Max muscle growth ? They are chewables

When I competed this past September the promoter of the meet handed out a gift bad to the lifters, and there were some samples of the Hica max. I read up on it and found some reviews. Wondering if they work? I think their like $20 for a bottle.

A lot of times when people ask what good supplements are the response is food. I've been trying to increase my food intake. I have noticed that eating a larger meal a couple hours before training helps.

I'm just wondering everyone's opinions on OTC supplements and if they have used any that work or help.

Last edited:
big_paul_ski

big_paul_ski

MuscleHead
Dec 13, 2010
I put on 20 pounds in 16 days and strength went through the roof with muscle tech products.

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

The Veganator
Dec 23, 2012
My 2c, I reckon two are worthy of mention (on top of creatine which everybody knows about). The first is Beta Alanine, with BA you'll probably get the best benefits from it if you take it 2-3 times spread through the day (2-4g at a time). Powder is good if you can get one that is 100% pure BA with no flavours or anything else added to it. It works by increasing your carnosine levels and carnosine is your buffer against lactic acid. High intensity training causes a decrease in the PH levels of your cells (due to hydrogen ions being forced into them), so obviously if you can extend the time that this takes to occur then you are going to be able to train harder and for longer. ** Numerous studies have shown supplementing with BA to increase carnosine levels up to 80%.

• 2 weeks = 20-30% increase in carnosine
• 4 weeks = 40-60% increase in carnosine
• 10 weeks = 80% increase in carnosine
So a loading dose of 4-6g/day of BA over a longer period of time i.e. 10 weeks, results in the greatest increase of carnosine.

The studies into DAA sound promising as well.

Dex

Dex

VIP Member
Mar 30, 2011
Only thing natural that will add muscle is FOOOOOD.

hoodlum

hoodlum

MuscleHead
Jan 3, 2012
Okay I've got a few different angles looking at this whole thing. I have to say that firstly my mind always thinks that since there is no independent testing on what is actually in the product, how can we be sure about what's really inside the container isn't just filler? How many products have you seen taken off the shelves after being tested by the FDA, how many products are reported to not have in it what's on the label and even some supplement companies getting fined for putting illegal (prohormones) in their products! If all this stuff is going on and the companies responsible are allowed to continue production of new 'dietary supplements' (if they were classed as food then they would need to be tested before sale) then how on earth am I honestly meant to trust them?

Secondly, and I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong but this is the way I understand it. In the case of BCAA's and alike the problem isn't ingesting the 'right' cocktail of dietary supplements to your body at the right time, its the bioavailability (see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bioavailability). For example, say that your muscle is craving a specific quantity of animo acids and you have that exact amount (or more) in a drink at the exact right time - there is nothing saying that this will be able to get to the muscle. It may get broken down in the stomach and never reach your blood stream. To think of it in another way, lets compare morphine as it can be administered both orally and intravenously. When you orally inject morphine it has to survive your stomach and the first pass through the liver (much like 17aa steroids such as dbol, anavar, etc) which undoubtedly degrades the overall potency/effectiveness of the compound, instead of 100% reaching your blood stream maybe 75% will reach it. Now in the case of IV morphine, its injected straight in to your blood stream so 100% of the compound is available to your body and not broken down at all (thus making 10mg of IV a lot more potent). Now thats for a medicine which has undergone much research, when we are talking about BCAA's and other stuff think of it this way, 'I can drink it, but will it reach my muscles where it is needed?' and often the answer is no. I personally have to say, I use a few clean BCAA's with good results so believe they do work but there are many other similar supplements which I have absolutely zero faith in.

Swap out the gatoraid for poweraid

I have:
- Fish oil & Flaxseed oil
- Glutamine
- Protein powder
- Creatine
- BCAA's mixed with poweraid

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

The Veganator
Dec 23, 2012
I really thought this product would filter through to where I work but it hasn't. In NZ at least it's still relatively new, and apart from reading a couple of articles about DAA on the net and a write up in MD I'll say it looks promising. Haven't read into any studies on it yet with regards to increasing testosterone but with that being one of its' claims then I would think there's probably something in it.

To quickly explain, free unbound testosterone is what you are looking to try to increase and that comprises only 1-3% of total testosterone (it's only the free testosterone that is linked to muscle gains and strength). The goal is to try and favourably alter the ratio of free testosterone to bound testosterone, with test boosters this can often occur due to the adrenal cortex being able to produce more of the C19 hormone ~ a precursor to testosterone. I have read up on a few natural herbs that claim to promote testosterone, and the ones that appear to have merit IMHO would be fenugreek, tribulus (with a 40%+ saponin content) and B Dimers.

I personally feel that DAA could be a good choice for a natty as synergistically it's quite likely to be something that could combo quite well with your basics like protein & creatine. I would assume that over the next year or so it will gain more credibility, hopefully that will yield some clinical studies being done on it using athletes. Many people are starting to praise it so I'd be keen to look into it further at some point.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
My 2c, I reckon two are worthy of mention (on top of creatine which everybody knows about). The first is Beta Alanine, with BA you'll probably get the best benefits from it if you take it 2-3 times spread through the day (2-4g at a time). Powder is good if you can get one that is 100% pure BA with no flavours or anything else added to it. It works by increasing your carnosine levels and carnosine is your buffer against lactic acid. High intensity training causes a decrease in the PH levels of your cells (due to hydrogen ions being forced into them), so obviously if you can extend the time that this takes to occur then you are going to be able to train harder and for longer. ** Numerous studies have shown supplementing with BA to increase carnosine levels up to 80%.

• 2 weeks = 20-30% increase in carnosine
• 4 weeks = 40-60% increase in carnosine
• 10 weeks = 80% increase in carnosine
So a loading dose of 4-6g/day of BA over a longer period of time i.e. 10 weeks, results in the greatest increase of carnosine.

Hi there... Coming to you live from my tapatalk app... Just so you know I can't read any of your posts because of the font color you're using.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
I know this is a very researched topic. I've read up on some of them. But I was wondering if anyone has had any success with them? Do any of the. Actually work?

My supplement stack is this. Whey protein, and creatine. Post workout

Usually after jiu jitsu class and after boxing class I would drink Gatorade mixed with BCAAs. I read they are supposed to be good for recovery. But a lot of experts say amino acids and BCAA are a waste of money.

If I understand correctly, doesn't the protein we consume break down into amino acids? Aren't amino acids what makes muscles grow? If so, howcome we can't just take large amounts of BCAA and amino acids?

That's the first part. Next part. Any other supplements that help with strength? Like Leukic? Gakic?

Any other ones I missed?

Has anyone tried Hica-Max muscle growth ? They are chewables

When I competed this past September the promoter of the meet handed out a gift bad to the lifters, and there were some samples of the Hica max. I read up on it and found some reviews. Wondering if they work? I think their like $20 for a bottle.

A lot of times when people ask what good supplements are the response is food. I've been trying to increase my food intake. I have noticed that eating a larger meal a couple hours before training helps.

I'm just wondering everyone's opinions on OTC supplements and if they have used any that work or help.

Buy creatine monohydrate, buy nothing else. Supps are a rip off

Turbolag

Turbolag

Oct 14, 2012
Thanks everyone for the responses.

I have to check what kind of creatine of I have. It's flavorless and the serving size is 1 ounce.

Thanks mini, the BA sounds like its worth a shot. I may go price some tomorrow.

Sounds like the basics are protein creatine and the BA.

Thanks Hoodlum.... That makes complete sense about ingesting the amino acids! I never thought of it like that.

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

The Veganator
Dec 23, 2012
Hi there... Coming to you live from my tapatalk app... Just so you know I can't read any of your posts because of the font color you're using.
Haha, okay thanks for the heads up. I will get onto that!

PS: You missed a great post btw.

Turbolag

Turbolag

Oct 14, 2012
I thought I'd add this.

I'm probably eating 3-3500 calories a day. I probably eat 3-4 times a day. Depends. I have a hard time eating at night.

I think I'm gonna buy some casin protein though, and take it before bed.

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

The Veganator
Dec 23, 2012
I thought I'd add this.

I'm probably eating 3-3500 calories a day. I probably eat 3-4 times a day. Depends. I have a hard time eating at night.

I think I'm gonna buy some casin protein though, and take it before bed.
Damn, you must eat some big meals.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic