Latest Member
pbtom
What's New?

Any Ideas?

R

rawdeal

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 29, 2013
. . . It's a bit of a pipe dream but with the crazy hours I work, I have learned that training at home is the best option for me as I just find it hard to get to the gym. My thinking is, with it being in the garage, even on days I cannot get a full workout in, I can still get work in. Granted, the other side of it is it could be very easy to blow off. Honestly, I've been always fortunate to be motivated and had better lucky training at home than I did than in a gym . . .

That's been my experience since I went the garage gym route when Covid affected everything back in Spring-Summer 2020. There's a certain "energy" in some gyms, but most commercial gyms include more annoying people and less energy than a real gym offers. Only downside is temperatures in the summer or winter, but that's why god made space heaters, fans, and plain old dedication/discipline. I call mine the Lone Wolf Gym, and I've never regretted setting it up, even with very basic "black iron" stuff.

hawkeye

hawkeye

VIP Member
Sep 19, 2011
That's been my experience since I went the garage gym route when Covid affected everything back in Spring-Summer 2020. There's a certain "energy" in some gyms, but most commercial gyms include more annoying people and less energy than a real gym offers. Only downside is temperatures in the summer or winter, but that's why god made space heaters, fans, and plain old dedication/discipline. I call mine the Lone Wolf Gym, and I've never regretted setting it up, even with very basic "black iron" stuff.

This is my second go around with a garage gym. Sadly, when I went through a divorce and moved I didn't have a basement nor a garage. So, I lifted at an underground gym my buddy set up called 22nd Street Barbell. Since I lifted there and didn't have anywhere to put the weights, I donated all of it thinking I would prob lift there a very long time. While I did lift there several years, the gym and its atmosphere started to change. It became more of a commercial gym and an actual business. Prior, we basically had my buddy organize and run the gym, but we pooled money together and purchased stuff as a group. It worked great and our numbers were small. Just a small group of fellas hammering iron.

As it always seems to happen, nothing lasts forever. My buddy hooked up with an attorney who also invested into businesses, and it soon started to become a commerical gym and it changed the whole scene. A lot of nutthuggers and brotards lifting there due to the image that we had created as this hardcore underground gym. I basically got turned off by the traffic and all the douchbaggery and left. I regret ever donated my weights and dumbbells. It is what it is.

But what I learned is similar to your point, I work better alone and where I don't have to deal with crowds and idiots. I have zero issue with motivation. I am picking up a 140,000 BTU kerosene heater/blower this Friday. In the off season I play semi pro baseball so I have my nets, tees and etc already out there so I can take cuts and do my baseball work. But what has been lacking for a few years is my off season work and training and my body definitely can attest. Time to get back.

R

rawdeal

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 29, 2013
. . . A lot of nutthuggers and brotards . . .

Permission to steal the word "brotards"?

I have a board in mind where it will be a natural fit and only a few people may know I didn't think of it myself :p

LITTLEMAGS

LITTLEMAGS

VIP Member
Nov 1, 2010
Yep. Did the same thing myself a while back. Constantly looking for deals and asking co workers if they know anyone getting rid of stuff. I had a co worker get rid of plate weights and picked up 400 lbs cheap. Hardest thing is finding deals but when you do you gotta be ready to scoop it up.

R

rawdeal

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 29, 2013
UPDATE your 2020 sig line ... most of us will be still at it until death us do part :D

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic